*** Mass Effect 3 ***

Play them in order. My thoughts on going from 1 to 2 to 3:

- Story gets progressively weaker.

- All characters get better APART from Ashley/Kaidan. They were the only characters that were better in ME1 and went downhill over 2 and 3. Other than that 2 and 3 have fantastic characters, even people like Vega.

- Combat gets better for the most part, although some of the charm is lost (overuse of biotic detonations, no holstering, maps designed for pure combat value at the expense of art/emotional impact, etc).

- Music becomes progressively more mainstream, although having said that I like all of the soundtracks.

Vega is a chump, didn't like him at all.

IMO the characterisation in 2 was probably the best, apart from Ash/Kadian, personally I couldn't stand all the new characters in 3, they just didn't gel/felt like they were there to fulfil socio-ethnical demographics

Last edited:
For some reason I find them all pretty good in 3.

Ok Liara's breakdown after Thessia feels a little out of character, and I do agree to an extent that Vega is dull - but he is far, far better than Jacob. He's not a patch on Wrex (no one is tbh), but I don't think he's quite the stereotypical brick that comes across from his visual appearance.

I wasn't to keen on Javik at first, but he grew on me and has some of the best dialogue. Because of cheap DLC money grabbing tactics he wasn't properly integrated into the game, that's the only problem. But I think that's more a story/lore issue than a character one.

Garrus and Tali (aka G&T) are great as always.

Despite perhaps being a bit of a gimmick, EDI turned out to be surprisingly good - loved the interplay with Joker, and had some well thought out dialogue/moments.

ME2 had some fantastic squadmates, and a whole load of meh ones who should have been condensed into fewer characters.
Jack and Miranda should have been a single character for instance.

Last edited:
Regarding characters, apart from a couple of memorable and genuinely upsetting deaths of some of the ME2 characters, I didn't care for them, though for me the relationships with your old gang from ME1 were spot on.

Liara, Tali, Garrus, my brothers in arms from the beginning, with me until the end. Ashely's characterisation though seemed to undo everything I worked for in ME1.

Well, I've just finished 3 (I know, I did it in bursts :)) and that's the ending after it's been fixed?! It makes no sense whatsoever, characters magically transporting to new locactions, events that completely contradict my choices, the game contradicting its own history every second sentence, bloody hell :(

Bit of a let down after three games' worth of buildup.

Well, I've just finished 3 (I know, I did it in bursts :)) and that's the ending after it's been fixed?! It makes no sense whatsoever, characters magically transporting to new locactions, events that completely contradict my choices, the game contradicting its own history every second sentence, bloody hell :(

Bit of a let down after three games' worth of buildup.

Yep that's why I only played through ME3 once, 1 and two I played through several time to get the different outcomes, but three just stomps all over it and make it all pointless.

I think part of the problem is they made everything so complex with so many decisions and inyerweaving storylines they made it very difficult to end it cleanly but yes, it was a bit of a cop out.

Sorry if this has been covered. Probably has...

If you've played the console versions of ME2+3, you'll know that when you bring up the power wheel, you can still move the camera and designate targets etc.
Great for orchestrating team-based destruction :D
Is this not an option on PC? It's bugging me big time as it makes the game feel very stiff in comparison.
There's also the only being able to run in a straight line thing...

Am I missing a crucial option, or is this just the way it is?

Btw, I still haven't got round to getting my pad working in-game. Another ridiculous omission...

I think part of the problem is they made everything so complex with so many decisions and inyerweaving storylines they made it very difficult to end it cleanly but yes, it was a bit of a cop out.

Not really, the biggest problem was them rewriting the ending at the last minute!...it is obvious that evrything that happena from Priority Earth onwards is so disconnected from the rest of the game. Thank you Mac Walters and Casey Hudson, for rewriting the ending and just rehashing a theme that was already resolved.

I don't mind the occasional plot hole, but there were more holes than plot :)

Yup it's a real shame. Just completed ME1 again this weekend for the first time since ME3 and it just feels like a it's a completely different story. All the stuff they built up to in ME1 was just forgotten about or changed in ME3.

Now was it Casey Hudson being a dick, or EA being their usual money grabbing whorish selves putting pressure on him?

Yup it's a real shame. Just completed ME1 again this weekend for the first time since ME3 and it just feels like a it's a completely different story. All the stuff they built up to in ME1 was just forgotten about or changed in ME3.

Now was it Casey Hudson being a dick, or EA being their usual money grabbing whorish selves putting pressure on him?

I also think it had to do with Mass effect 1 having a different lead writer to 2 and 3.

Drew Karpyshyn was the lead writer of the first and co-writer of the second. He also penned all the books apart from the last monstrosity.

Check out the books, they're not going to win awards but the richness of detail and adherence to cannon is fantastic.

Yup I've read the 3 main ones, they were great. I didn't realise Drew was the writer of the first game though. And I call myself a Mass Effect fan?!

Back
Top Bottom