Massive blast in Beirut

Caporegime
It's such a shame, Lebanon has such a rich history and deserves to be a country on the up. However, the last year it's just been going backwards - their economy has been decimated, food shortages are common and hyper inflation. Now add this. Such a shame.

I wonder if it's just a coincidence or if such circumstances allow for these things to happen more often. You'd think that if any country was in dire straits that things would go unnoticed, ignored and such.

Suspect that people in Lebanon are about to get rather angry and I doubt it will work out well.

Soldato
I can't see any of that, just looks like the initial part of the explosion.

Yeh you have to look closely, focus above the explosion just before the red plume of smoke you'll see what looks like a shockwave vibration in the air above, keep watching over and over it's subtle.

Associate
Closest I can find for those odd reddish coloured clouds is Nitrogen Triiodide which would be rather odd - but rocket fuel based on Dinitrogen Tetroxide would possibly produce similar (especially if partially or poorly burnt).

https://youtu.be/DFfRqoIdArM?t=115

Only thing that's really used for is Hypergolic rocket engines, with Hydrazine as the fuel. Seems unlikely that would be what they were storing or may have confiscated.

Associate
Nitrogen dioxide also produces Reddy colour.

That probably explains a fair portion of it tbh. And we don't really know the nature of the atmospherics, the sunlight and whatever else was still in that warehouse which can all effect the colour we perceive in the cloud. - And given that Ammonium Nitrate is basically a lot of nitrogen all bound up waiting to let loose, I can see how a blast of that magnitude could get some N2 bonding going on.

Man of Honour
Nitrogen dioxide also produces Reddy colour.

The twist in the tale there maybe is North Korea is reliant on UDMH for some of its missiles that have been developed in cooperation with Iran and additionally Iran has several missiles that use inhibited fuming red nitric acid. Possibly related to Iran or even Iran<>NK in some way if it is rocket fuel.

That probably explains a fair portion of it tbh. And we don't really know the nature of the atmospherics, the sunlight and whatever else was still in that warehouse which can all effect the colour we perceive in the cloud. - And given that Ammonium Nitrate is basically a lot of nitrogen all bound up waiting to let loose, I can see how a blast of that magnitude could get some N2 bonding going on.

Yeah it is a possibility.

Associate
The twist in the tale there maybe is North Korea is reliant on UDMH for some of its missiles that have been developed in cooperation with Iran and additionally Iran has several missiles that use inhibited fuming red nitric acid. Possibly related to Iran or even Iran<>NK in some way if it is rocket fuel.

They sure love playing with all the fun stuff, don't they? :D

Associate
Probably force of circumstance - it isn't the number one choice if you have a choice.

I would have thought that if they were capable of building hypergolic rocket engines etc.. then surely they are more than capable of building reliable solid rocket motors? - The required materials for those are much easier to acquire and construction is far simpler.

A significant portion of the US's ICBM's were still using multi-stage solid rocket motors well into the 90s iirc.

Man of Honour
Closest I can find for those odd reddish coloured clouds is Nitrogen Triiodide which would be rather odd - but rocket fuel based on Dinitrogen Tetroxide would possibly produce similar (especially if partially or poorly burnt).

https://youtu.be/DFfRqoIdArM?t=115

The Texas City Disaster followed an almost identical pattern to todays explosion, orange smoke then a short time later it detonated.

pressure inside the ship blew the hatches open, and yellow-orange smoke billowed out. This color is typical for nitrogen dioxide fumes.

Associate
Any other country you could put this down as an accident, but lebanon, sounds dodgy, probably political motivated with all the trouble they have been going through

Soldato
You can see turbulance/shockwave in the air just before the explosion, ie rocket turbulence.

Now why would Israel strike Lebanon?

So from just 1 single low quality 360p clip, and not one of the hundreds of good quality videos available, all of which show nothing, zero, nada, not a sausage, not even a hint of a rocket strike, you're saying it's Israel with 100% absolute conviction - classic jsmoke! It'd be funny if the situation in Beirut wasn't so serious.

I mean really, just think of the apparent "logic" train on this to get to your "logical" end point - Israel was apparently completely happy to leave a huge store on ANFO completely alone for weeks/years (depending on which story you read), it then waited until some fireworks containers also just happened to be put in exactly the right place, then it waited again until a fire broke out in the fireworks container, and then (and only then) did it suddenly decide that the ANFO had to go and order a missile strike, with no prep time for aircraft to be loaded and launch, or be observed in the nearby airspace, or for anyone in Israel to Tweet "hey did anyone just see that missile launch????" etc. Or was it all really just an Israeli secret operation in the first place, where they got the ANFO confiscated first, then to got it stored in that particular silo, then got the fireworks stored next to it, then started a fire, then called in a missile strike once the fireworks got going for "cover" and all so that they can destroy a port, kill hundreds and garner worldwide condemnation whilst also trying to through people off the scent by being one of the first nations to offer aid?

I refer to Occams Razor on this myself.

Man of Honour
I would have thought that if they were capable of building hypergolic rocket engines etc.. then surely they are more than capable of building reliable solid rocket motors? - The required materials for those are much easier to acquire and construction is far simpler.

A significant portion of the US's ICBM's were still using multi-stage solid rocket motors well into the 90s iirc.

I can't remember which is what now but for countries like Iran and NK for weaponised use there are a lot of considerations like mobility and prep/setup time, storage, etc. as anything that takes time sitting in one spot to setup will be exposed to either destruction on the launchpad or higher chance of interdiction post launch in war time use.

Back
Top Bottom