Massive Car insurance costs?

Soldato
Mine came through last week - Hastings wanted £527 up from £380.

Straight onto GoCompare - £381 from GoSkippy. Go back to Hastings, turn off autorenewal and they offer to try and beat the quote... enter the details and they now want £354 for the renewal.

Why not just offer me that in the first place you plebs? :mad:
Go skippy have a joke of excess cost. 800 on essentials..... And 450 normal for me. What was yours.

Esure is a only £50

Associate
Mine came through last week - Hastings wanted £527 up from £380.

Straight onto GoCompare - £381 from GoSkippy. Go back to Hastings, turn off autorenewal and they offer to try and beat the quote... enter the details and they now want £354 for the renewal.

Why not just offer me that in the first place you plebs? :mad:
Legally they are supposed to offer their best price.

But you know how spineless the ombudsman is.

Last edited:
Soldato
Started getting comparison site quotes 2 weeks ago. £227 regardless of details it seems. Oddly I paid £227 last year, must be a classic car thing.

Got my renewal email today as it's 2 weeks til renewal - £163!

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I was worried about my renewal given this thread but it seems I'm lucky.

Aviva last year: £289
Aviva this year: £239
Comparison sites: £500+ and that's just the no-name nonsense they push to the top as the cheapest.

The cover is like-for-like (fully comp), protected NCD, legal cover, partner as named driver etc. I'm not bothered about enhanced hire car etc as it'll be a write off if anything happens so I'll just buy another. Pretty chuffed with that, one little stress off the list.

Soldato
This is so weird.

Compare The Market - cheapest is £800 (increase from £650 last year I think)
Money SuperMarket - cheapest is £1000
Confused - £900

Same insurer, same details and same cover - how can that be…

The £800 quote isn’t as bad as I thought

Last edited:
Soldato
Got my renewal through today with Aviva and obviously after the news everyone else has been getting I expected the worst but it’s only gone up £30 for the year.

Pleasantly surprised as last year it doubled, but that was the first renewal after a 2nd non-fault claim (after 4 years) and I got it down to the same price as before by dropping my mileage from 40k to 20k a year as I just don’t do the big miles anyway. I always left it on 40k because it just didn’t make a difference to my policy but as of last year it seemed to be a very different story.

My first non-fault claim actually drops off in August and policy starts in July, so I was wondering if it was worth the hassle of taking out a policy for a month, cancelling then taking out another where I don’t have to claim but I’m a bit cautious of even playing around with quotes now. Last year I got an email from Aviva telling me that I’d ran a quote for 40k miles but taken out a policy with 20k miles on and it was telling me to make sure the info was correct. Knowing my luck if I start playing around removing a non-fault claim to see what difference it makes it’ll somehow cause some hassle.

Last edited:
Soldato
Current fleet:
2015 Kia Sportage
2006 Toyota Yaris

Combined renewal is £390 fully comp for the year for wife and I

Incoming new fleet:
2024 Tesla Model Y LR
2020 Ford Feista ST3

Quotes are coming in at £1600 (combined) fully comp for the year for wife and I

To be expected I suppose, faster, higher value, potentially more nickable etc.

Soldato
Current fleet:
2015 Kia Sportage
2006 Toyota Yaris

Combined renewal is £390 fully comp for the year for wife and I

Incoming new fleet:
2024 Tesla Model Y LR
2020 Ford Feista ST3

Quotes are coming in at £1600 (combined) fully comp for the year for wife and I

To be expected I suppose, faster, higher value, potentially more nickable etc.

Presumably the Tesla is a huge proportion of that price? I struggled to get my MYLR below £900 this year. It was about £300-£350 more than last year.

Soldato
Correct. Tesla makes up circa £1150 of the £1600. Small quiet village, gated driveway and garaged.
planning on waking up the village in the middle of the night with the ST3 right?

Nothing like a whistler blower with cat and exhaust mod driving thru a quiet village. They would think the Russians are invading.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Renewal is due in 30 days, with bymiles at the moment as I don't drive much.

Last year I paid £538.97. £126.99 fixed cost then 8.8p per mile (4000 miles). £60 for breakdown, legal etc included.
Will be due a refund of around £220 from the app as I have used hardly any miles. Makes overall for the year £320.

Renewal just came through
Fixed cost £112.44
16.3p per mile estimate 1380 miles based on this year
Total £397.36
If I want 4000 miles it's £750

New customers are being offered 9.2p per mile with an estimate of £470 for 4000 miles. However if you are already with them they block new registrations you have to let your contract end first then get a quote and be with out cover while a new cover is processed. Even if you did that you'd have to be without cover for a day, start your new cover for the day after increasing premiums as your doing it quick start policy instead of 21 days.

Aviva zero (who I was going to go with last year until I found bymiles) is offering £465 exactly the same cover with 8000 miles (for some reason 8000 is less than 4000-7000) on the 21 day renewal sweet spot.
Get the gocompare £250 free excess and topcashback on top of that for new policies.

What a joke, why do they screw over existing customers.
Will call them on Monday but likely going with aviva zero as I want the £250 free excess like every year and may end up doing more miles.

Maybe I'm dumb but why wouldn't you do a new quote through gocompare for the £250 excess every single time? I see people accepting renewal quotes in here (after calling to make them reduce costs)

Last edited:
Soldato
Surely you have details saved somewhere of who you are insured with (email confirmation, letters received, online account access)?

For example, with Quote me Happy we can login to our account and access all the details for cars and house, make any changes and download all of the relevant documents.

Ignoring renewals you need this information in event of an accident.

Caporegime
Damn some of your annual prices are far cheaper, assume there is a London tax. Ours for our Yaris Hybrid remained about the same going into the third year.

Back
Top Bottom