Massive Car insurance costs?

Im paying £49 a month at the moment, i think the cheapest (reliable) insurance company i would probably get a policy with is Admiral - but its not a huge saving (£46 a month)

compared to the £49 a month im paying now, but better than £54 a month that my current insurance company hastings are quoting me to renew

I have some not so great reviewed insurance company quotes - RAC (approx £41 a month) and some unknown insurance company but has ok reviews "Dial direct" - £41 a month

May just go with Admiral, i dont think id be able to beat an average £46 a month quote

Last edited:
I think im going to give dial direct a go,

Deposit of £38 and a monthly payment of £40.50

A little bit of a saving, although a slightly minutely higher composolary excess (£175) with zero voluntary excess, and to be fair the reviews online and trustpilot seem reasonable, most people have a positive review of dial direct

Covers for all the below

Key features of this policy

You can purchase priced features directly from the provider.

• Legal cover
Add from £7.50

• Personal injury cover
  • Breakdown cover
  • Windscreen cover
  • Courtesy car
  • Personal belongings
  • Keycare cover
Add from £25.20

• European use
  • Audio equipment
Additional features of this policy

• Protected No Claims
  • Medical Treatment
  • Fire/Theft Repair
  • Accidental Damage
  • New Car Replacement

Last edited:
I think im going to give dial direct a go,

Deposit of £38 and a monthly payment of £40.50

A little bit of a saving, although a slightly minutely higher composolary excess (£175) with zero voluntary excess, and to be fair the reviews online and trustpilot seem reasonable, most people have a positive review of dial direct

Covers for all the below

Key features of this policy

You can purchase priced features directly from the provider.

• Legal cover
Add from £7.50

• Personal injury cover
  • Breakdown cover
  • Windscreen cover
  • Courtesy car
  • Personal belongings
  • Keycare cover
Add from £25.20

• European use
  • Audio equipment
Additional features of this policy

• Protected No Claims
  • Medical Treatment
  • Fire/Theft Repair
  • Accidental Damage
  • New Car Replacement
You've got decent savings from your posts elsewhere, why on earth are you handing them free money by paying monthly at a rate which will be much higher than you're earning on your savings. Pay it all in one go, save a bit more cash.

You've got decent savings from your posts elsewhere, why on earth are you handing them free money by paying monthly at a rate which will be much higher than you're earning on your savings. Pay it all in one go, save a bit more cash.

i would only be saving £50 by paying in full, not really worth it IMO. - Maybe I would concider it if it would save me £100-£120, but its not, its going to save me £50 or to put it in to more context, a £4.16 per month saving.

£4.16 per month for credit and it means i dont have to pay £431 now, which is fine by me

I have always paid insurance monthly.

Also, this way, if you have any issues with insurance companies if you have an issue and they dont meet their service, then you can put a complaint case forward and then get out of paying the rest of the policy premium. You cant do that if you have already paid them

Last edited:
i would only be saving £50 by paying in full, not really worth it IMO. - Maybe I would concider it if it would save me £100-£120, but its not, its going to save me £50 or to put it in to more context, a £4.16 per month saving.

£4.16 per month for credit and it means i dont have to pay £431 now, which is fine by me

I have always paid insurance monthly.
You're changing insurance company to save a very similar amount of money so why not almost double it? Like I said you'll save more than you'd gain leaving it in your savings.

Also, this way, if you have any issues with insurance companies if you have an issue and they dont meet their service, then you can put a complaint case forward and then get out of paying the rest of the policy premium. You cant do that if you have already paid them
I don't think it's quite that simple in practice, as generally just stopping your Direct Debit causes more hassle. And even if you pay up front then you're still entitled to a refund.
Better yet pay on a credit card and let them fight it out in the event of any issue (especially if you're worried about it being a less well known company).

Last edited:
You're changing insurance company to save a very similar amount of money so why not almost double it? Like I said you'll save more than you'd gain leaving it in your savings.

Jumping from hastings who was requoting me (even with threats on the phone to leave) - £580 vs £485 ish with direct dial, thats a £100 saving

Thats fine with me

Last edited:
Renewal through from Aviva, last year I paid £754 and it’s £817 to renew with them.
Closest I can find so far is the Admiral Essentials for £844, why is this such a pain :(
Well I've decided to go with Admiral for both home and car starting next month. Car premium was £772 for their Gold cover, home premium was £285 for their Platinum cover.

Couldn't find anything better so just over £1k seems ok for both I think.

then you can put a complaint case forward and then get out of paying the rest of the policy premium. You cant do that if you have already paid them
even if you pay monthly it's still an annual contract though - subject to same penalty clauses if you want to exit it or change insurance details, and,
if you were to make a claim, my understanding is if you wanted to also terminate insurance they can demand you pay off the year.

Well I've decided to go with Admiral for both home and car starting next month. Car premium was £772 for their Gold cover, home premium was £285 for their Platinum cover.

Couldn't find anything better so just over £1k seems ok for both I think.
I am with admiral as well....... have been with them for over a decade now. Each year i look elsewhere but no one touches them...... have rolled up 2 cars and our home into 1 policy.

also i had a no fault claim last year with them (well my wife did) and I found them to be decent to deal with. Whether it would have been as easy had it of not been a cut and dry "not our fault" case i am not sure and hope never to find out.

July 2022 I was in a small crash and the other party denied fault, even with dash cam and CCTV from a nearby house. Jump forward to June 2024 and 5 days before the court date to sort it all out the other side fold. Right all sorted? Nope...

My renewal price jumped from £314 to £350 so on to confused.com and get it down to £287. Not too bad. Today I get an email from my new insurer saying that their magic databases say I have a fault claim. Onto my old insurer (used same one 2022 to 2024) to find out that the claim is still open and showing me as possibly liable as the other party's insurer is still to pay up. Emails and letters to try and clear things up and I've now got my fingers crossed it's all going to square away with no problems. Place your bets...

FluffySheep

My dads new EV arrives Monday so just called insurance provider to switch the car over. He paid ~£576 for cover with Swinton on his XC60. To make the change they wanted a further £280! Said no way, and went straight on to confused.com and chose to go with Admiral (like some others have on here) for £640 (one or two extras). Minus the 200 rebate due from Swinton means he has insured the EV for £440 for the year. Result. :)

My dads new EV arrives Monday so just called insurance provider to switch the car over. He paid ~£576 for cover with Swinton on his XC60. To make the change they wanted a further £280! Said no way, and went straight on to confused.com and chose to go with Admiral (like some others have on here) for £640 (one or two extras). Minus the 200 rebate due from Swinton means he has insured the EV for £440 for the year. Result. :)
I hate to break it to you but those man maths don’t work ;)

It cost you £640 for a years insurance.

The refund you got is because the £567 you paid for the previous car didn’t cover a full year. Probably just over half the year given there would have been a cancellation charge levied.

Why is paying a monthly bill a weird logic ?

...because its literally the definition of a waste of money if you can just pay the year upfront. It's £50 for nothing, particularly when 0% is readily available if you really need it.

How about your turn it around the other way, why would you voluntarily pay 11.6% more to a faceless money grabbing insurance company than you have to?

Sure the service could be invaluable if you need it but they would also literally stab you in the back and spit on your grave if they could get away with it to avoid paying out on a claim.

...because its literally the definition of a waste of money if you can just pay the year upfront. It's £50 for nothing, particularly when 0% is readily available if you really need it.

How about your turn it around the other way, why would you voluntarily pay 11.6% more to a faceless money grabbing insurance company than you have to?

Sure the service could be invaluable if you need it but they would also literally stab you in the back and spit on your grave if they could get away with it to avoid paying out on a claim.

Because I wanted the £500 in my savings account adding on interest

Doesn't matter now it's all done

Back
Top Bottom