Massive Car insurance costs?

Associate
99% he has it on the drip and now has a financed car with 2 years left that he cannot drive because he cannot get the insurance.

#ModernBritain.
Well actually it's a SHE not a HE.
I was looking at getting Electric Mercedes or BMW, but the insurance cost was very similar.
I really like Tesla so prefer to pay 300pounds more a year to have it instead of ones listed above

I was looking for some advice which some of you kindly provided, but some people I feel just envy anyone who drives better car than theirs
I cannot explain quoted post differently

Went ahead with Admiral - but still looking at other options

And just an example- in my home country there are no speed limits on some parts of a motorway, and generally people drive...faster
Insurance is half the price comparing to thee UK! I have no idea why it is so expensive here

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's MA'AM.

Also yes, I have just experienced insurance fun this year. I swear comparison sites get "easier" but somehow worse even year. Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy.

Associate
Well actually it's a SHE not a HE.
I was looking at getting Electric Mercedes or BMW, but the insurance cost was very similar.
I really like Tesla so prefer to pay 300pounds more a year to have it instead of ones listed above

I was looking for some advice which some of you kindly provided, but some people I feel just envy anyone who drives better car than theirs
I cannot explain quoted post differently

Went ahead with Admiral - but still looking at other options

And just an example- in my home country there are no speed limits on some parts of a motorway, and generally people drive...faster
Insurance is half the price comparing to thee UK! I have no idea why it is so expensive here
I was the 1st to quote you and I'm sorry if your post was genuine. I'm sorry for my less than welcoming post - just we, like every forum, occasionally get the odd new members with an oxymoronic/asinine post to get a rise out of others, and being blunt, someone with a group 50 insurance car posting their insurance is surprisingly expensive is like posting you like swimming but don't want to get wet...

I don't think anyone is envious of the car (I honestly believe Tesla is partially responsible for the insurance rise for us all, but that's a separate matter) - but it's still a group 50 £60k car that does 0-60 in 3 seconds, so it's hardly a Honda Civic.

Re your question whether a course will help. In my experience, nope, I've had IAM for 20+ years and it's done v little to help insurance. Yes, some companies acknowledge it and offer a discount, but they're typically the more expensive ones, so it's usually cheaper to go elsewhere. I've also noticed you typically get the same discount for joining a Facebook group and saying you're part of the UK owners club for the car.

If you're looking at Admiral, please check your policy, especially the mod section. They typically require any factory fitted option to be declared similar to a mod, otherwise it's theoretically not covered. So, they might seem cheaper than some others, as they're not covering to the similar lever. I'm not too sure what options are available with a T3 performance, but I'm guessing there could be 1 or 2 (ignoring the horrifically expensive autopilot things, which who knows whether they would pay that our or not).

In all honesty, if you're wanting to lower your insurance then you need to get a less risky car (or move to a less risky postcode). A MG4, Ionic or electric Golf would presumably solve your problem.

Last edited:
Associate
I was the 1st to quote you and I'm sorry if your post was genuine. I'm sorry for my less than welcoming post - just we, like every forum, occasionally get the odd new members with an oxymoronic/asinine post to get a rise out of others, and being blunt, someone with a group 50 insurance car posting their insurance is surprisingly expensive is like posting you like swimming but don't want to get wet...

I don't think anyone is envious of the car (I honestly believe Tesla is partially responsible for the insurance rise for us all, but that's a separate matter) - but it's still a group 50 £60k car that does 0-60 in 3 seconds, so it's hardly a Honda Civic.

Re your question whether a course will help. In my experience, nope, I've had IAM for 20+ years and it's done v little to help insurance. Yes, some companies acknowledge it and offer a discount, but they're typically the more expensive ones, so it's usually cheaper to go elsewhere. I've also noticed you typically get the same discount for joining a Facebook group and saying you're part of the UK owners club for the car.

If you're looking at Admiral, please check your policy, especially the mod section. They typically require any factory fitted option to be declared similar to a mod, otherwise it's theoretically not covered. So, they might seem cheaper than some others, as they're not covering to the similar lever. I'm not too sure what options are available with a T3 performance, but I'm guessing there could be 1 or 2 (ignoring the horrifically expensive autopilot things, which who knows whether they would pay that our or not).

In all honesty, if you're wanting to lower your insurance then you need to get a less risky car (or move to a less risky postcode). A MG4, Ionic or electric Golf would presumably solve your problem.
Thank you for your kind response.

Associate
yeah, and the enforcement of "everyone has to get the same renewal" is actually counter productive for those( and I Assume most on here) who used various cashback sites, where you could get a big wad of cash back when you swapped insurers. CB has been a victim of the new legislation.

Certainly my personal experience is that scouring the market is no where near as worthwhile as it used to be.

Associate
I was not looking forward to my renewal having been reading this thread. However mines gone up by only £19 this year. £380 to £399

Soldato
Just be glad you don't own a Range Rover and live in London lol

People being quoted 5 figures, or just being told no. That isn't going to help sales :p

Last edited:
Associate
I went from £401 to £950.

I originally had 16,000 miles commuting, and one years no claims bonus.
I'm now at 4000 miles commuting and two years no claims bonus.

Same car, same people insured on it.

Sad times.

Don
Ye that is a result.

Does anything past 5 years NCB actually do anything?
Not by much - I posted a table from LV earlier in the thread

Associate
Interesting, I wrongfully was in the understanding that NCB discounts capped at 5 years.

Wonder if we'll see increased profits at end of financial periods this year from these companies with so called extra costs.

Obviously there will be increased profits... There always has to be increased profits.

Soldato
Fortunately for me, it looks like my insurance cost is going to stay the same as last year. I've moved from a Fiesta ST mk 7 to an ST Mk 8 and even if I were to add an induction kit, road legal exhaust and a remap the price would stay the same :D

Soldato
Not a car

But my 15 year old neice 50cc motorbike insurance has gone up about £50
Was hoping it was going to go down in price a bit with her being a year older

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom