• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** MASSIVE PRICE DROP ON VEGA UNTIL JUNE 30th: VEGA 56 £450 & VEGA 64 £550 !! ***

Soldato
Well it is good to see how many idiots there are that are happy to pay these prices.

If I buy a GPU, it's going to be from the MM as that way I avoid paying into the system for what is essentially just one big fat milking industry now.
Yeah, good luck with that. Other than the odd bargain, most of the 1080ti's and VEGA cards have been offered for ebay style prices on the MM.

I'm far more pragmatic when it comes to GPU prices. Gaming is the hobby I enjoy the most and if I have to spend a few hundred pound more on a GPU than "normal" because the market has decided to gouge due to circumstances way beyond anything I can control, it's not a huge deal in the big scheme of things. If you enjoy gaming so much, why worry about the cost so long as you can afford it? Like any hobby the true value is what you get out of it, not how much it costs. Sure, I'd love prices to be like they used to be, but they aren't and that's not going to change, at least short to medium term.

I have friends who can easily blow £150-£200 on a weekend night out with nothing to show for it the next day then go do the same in a few weeks, and I sit at home worrying that I might spend that much extra on something that will give me months, possibly years of pleasure?

Nahh, life's too short. Buy what you can afford and enjoy it :D

OcUK Staff
OP
Sorely tempted by a V64 for rendering. Ordinarily I wouldn't spend £500+ on a card, but it's the company's money not mine I guess. Is there much point opening a business account with OCUK?

Yes as though there will not be much discount if any of one single card, business users with good credit get accounts and of course certain items and systems do have much larger discounts available so it can certainly be worthwhile, especially if your placing large orders.

We do with a lot of big corporate companies now, in fact it is probably our largest growth area.

Soldato
Well it is good to see how many idiots there are that are happy to pay these prices.

If I buy a GPU, it's going to be from the MM as that way I avoid paying into the system for what is essentially just one big fat milking industry now.

I sold my launch Reference VEGA 64 or £595 when prices were up, picked up a brand new Sapphire custom VEGA 64 for less. I am a happy idiot xD

Soldato
Dumb question probably....what's the appeal of these (64) over a 1070 Ti? Specs seems far better than Ti but in gaming anyway seems to underperform given the specs?

Last edited:
Associate
A vega 56 is similar in performance to a 1070ti but you get other advantages like adaptive sync support etc. I'd take a 56 using adaptive sync over a 1080 without. The 64 isn't appealing to me personally but meh.

Edit: having said that I'm still hoping for better performance per £ so am not gonna buy any of the current offerings so not the best person to answer really!

Last edited:
Soldato
Dumb question probably....what's the appeal of these (64) over a 1070 Ti? Specs seems far better than Ti but in gaming anyway seems to underperform given the specs?

VEGA 64 competes with 'GTX 1080' mostly dominates not 'GTX 1070 Ti', the 1070 Ti was brought out to counter VEGA 56. Which it does well.

The 1080 Ti is a freakish monster with tremendous gaming performance, VEGA 64 cannot compare with that card.

The 1080 does get the odd wins against VEGA 64, but VEGA 64 curd stomps the 1080 in most games.

I have a similar hatred towards Nvidia as Apple. So VEGA 64 is logical choice xD

a_HR0c_Dov_L21l_ZGlh_Lm_Jlc3_Rv_Zm1p_Y3_Jv_Lm_Nvb_S9a_Lz_Uv_Nz_I3_MDI1_L29ya_Wdpbm_Fs.jpg

a_HR0c_Dov_L21l_ZGlh_Lm_Jlc3_Rv_Zm1p_Y3_Jv_Lm_Nvb_S9a_Lz_Yv_Nz_I3_MDI2_L29ya_Wdpbm_Fs.jpg

a_HR0c_Dov_L21l_ZGlh_Lm_Jlc3_Rv_Zm1p_Y3_Jv_Lm_Nvb_S9_ZLz_Ev_Nz_I2_OTg1_L29ya_Wdpbm_Fs.jpg

a_HR0c_Dov_L21l_ZGlh_Lm_Jlc3_Rv_Zm1p_Y3_Jv_Lm_Nvb_S9_ZLzgv_Nz_I2_OTky_L29ya_Wdpbm_Fs.jpg

a_HR0c_Dov_L21l_ZGlh_Lm_Jlc3_Rv_Zm1p_Y3_Jv_Lm_Nvb_S9_ZLz_Mv_Nz_I2_OTg3_L29ya_Wdpbm_Fs.jpg

a_HR0c_Dov_L21l_ZGlh_Lm_Jlc3_Rv_Zm1p_Y3_Jv_Lm_Nvb_S9_ZLz_Uv_Nz_I2_OTg5_L29ya_Wdpbm_Fs.jpg

a_HR0c_Dov_L21l_ZGlh_Lm_Jlc3_Rv_Zm1p_Y3_Jv_Lm_Nvb_S9_ZLz_Yv_Nz_I2_OTkw_L29ya_Wdpbm_Fs.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
@Boomstick777 Thanks. I buy NV mostly. Already using two 1070 Ti's in one machine and work great when Sli supported (nice in FC 5 so far). Maybe a 64 is a bit overkill for a spare machine to replace an old 730 GT but interested to try one. 570 probably better suited......

Associate
Overclocking the 1080 will close the gap on the V64 but not significantly, their prowess in that area is limited compared to the likes of the 980 Ti. Plus if past patterns hold true the AMD card will age better. The price difference is quite considerable however, but then so is that between Freesync/G-Sync monitors.

Considering the age of all this tech I find all the prices off putting, especially with new cards from Nvidia approaching.

Associate
Why is it that Nvidia owners feel the need to comment in this thread with the sole intention of putting people off buying an AMD card.

They clearly have no interest in these cards so why even come in this thread at all, does it make them feel good to attempt to deny AMD a sale...

I don't get it.

Soldato
Overclocking the 1080 will close the gap on the V64 but not significantly, their prowess in that area is limited compared to the likes of the 980 Ti. Plus if past patterns hold true the AMD card will age better. The price difference is quite considerable however, but then so is that between Freesync/G-Sync monitors.

Considering the age of all this tech I find all the prices off putting, especially with new cards from Nvidia approaching.

Agree with everything your saying, but as I sold my last GPU for more than this I am not worried about price. Also Nvidia is no longer an option. Will not support the evil overlords xD

GTX 1080's selling for similar price apart from the odd budget card. VEGA 64 is clear choice at this price imho.

image.jpg

Soldato
As a AMD graphic card user, one of the reason I cannot justify the price of Vega64 is that the GTX1080 (that has similar performance) has been available available at just over £400 in the pass. It just make the Vega64 priced at around £550 a very bitter pill to swallow.

l0z

l0z

Associate

Another point not mentioned is non-gaming use. Vega is far faster than GTX 10XX series in compute performance (hence the shortage due to mining), making it a better choice for raytracing for example.

Soldato
To me - in some ways, the graphics industry is dead now - now before you jump the gun I mean in some general ways and also in some localized ways (like OCUK customers)

Why? - because all us tweakers and overclocking folks grew up in the 80's and 90's and era when technology rapidly expanded and we became addicted for use of a better word.

Now were all in our 30-40's and abit older abit wiser - we play less games, games are less good - and the industry for highly demanding games is capped now at mostly console converts - sure there is 1 or 2 titles that would destroy graphics power - but as i say, were an older demographic now and realise one or 2 games isnt worth the hassle.

Sure there is younger folks who would carry on the tradition of super powerful PC's - but the incentive and drive to do that is less now - and mid low tier graphics cards are fine for many games - not to mention the younger generation use their phones or tablets now.

But while id never say no to a free 1080ti - I just have zero reasons to upgrade my 980ti - its still plenty powerful enough - and I'm still one of those rare true 'power users' who requires a brute force computer for photo/video work - but again a 980ti is more than enough for that - these days due to time and work/life I simply have no time to game (And if I did a 980ti is plenty good enough for gaming).

Anyway just my 2p - unless they come out with a graphics card 3-4 times faster than a 980ti or even a 1080ti within a year or 2 the 'excitement' just isn't there any more - there is nothing to run on these cards day in, day out, that makes it worth it (unless u like 3d mark or are a rare 4k 120fps demanding gamer with too much cash to burn)

Worlds changed.

Caporegime
Why do Apple hate Nvidia? Was it those dodgy laptop GPUs that caused tons of MacBook Pros to need repaired?

They have exclusively used Intel integrated and AMD discrete for years now.

A mix of things, but Apple can lower AMD's pricing more than nvidia is one factor.

AMD cards have caused issue for Apple as well, my Imac had to get the AMD 6970 replaced for example.

Back
Top Bottom