Masters of the Air 2023

Soldato

Has anybody heard of this and is looking forward to it?

I loved Band of Brothers, which ranks amongst some of the best TV series I have seen. I also enjoyed the Pacific, however I had not heard about this one until last week.

Spielberg and Hanks are once again on board with this so I have high hopes that it will be great.

Associate
Was originally planned as a HBO production but Hbo turned it down surprisingly and Apple picked it up.

There was pics of sets a while back on the DailyMail etc.

It was expected late this year but Covid lockdowns / covid outbreaks on set etc put it back to 2023. Looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Associate
I've been waiting years for this. Hopefully they learnt from the errors of 'The Pacific's' storylines and revert to what made band of brothers so great.
Didnt quite work trying to tie those 3 stories together. Have watched a couple of times since it first broadcast and enjoyed it more on subsequent viewings.

Still disappounts though , for me the Eugene Sledge book, "With The Old Breed" is one of the best non fiction war books I've read.

Its an absolutely devastating and brutal read, the series catches some of that but a lot gets lost.

Reactions: KIA
Soldato
I still think the pacific is excellent, the basilone and sledge parts especially
I guess its hard trying to tie the separate stories together,

yeah its not band of brothers - but nothing is, its an especially good story before you even make into a book or a tv series
With the old breed on its own would be fairly tight focused (just a couple of people in two battles)

John Orlof was in the comments on this history buffs video ages ago talking about MotA:

Orlof wrote BoB but not the TP so maybe that will help?

looking forward to it

Associate
Yeah its clear why they had to do it, no unit had that fairly clear line through the Pacific like Easy Company did through Europe ( ish ) , just lacked that continuity that BOB had, each bit on its own was pretty well done.
The Robert Lecke stuff felt more like the book if a bit brief. The Jungle warfare in the book reminds of later Vietnam style combat and that comes acrosss well in the TV series.

Presumably this will be more focused on particular crews, but I cant imagine many bomber crews made it over the period of time it covers

Masters of the Air focuses in detail on the period of 1942-45 and, whilst expanding upon the key events of the 8th Air Force during that period, the reader is introduced to a host of characters and their personal stories about these key events. The story of the Combined Bombing Offences is often told in numbers: X number of planes lost, or X tonnage of bombs dropped. It is rarely told through the eyes of those who fought it. These stories are both harrowing and at times disturbing. The airmen of these units, often very young, were thrown into a world where they could be fighting for their lives over Germany at lunch time, but back in time to take their ‘English girlfriend’ to dinner in London in the evening. This first-hand account of this type of fighting is excellent, as is the narrative which clearly explains that those in the air were in a rapid development cycle of new technology and new tactics.

Last edited:
Associate
I still think the pacific is excellent, the basilone and sledge parts especially
I guess its hard trying to tie the separate stories together,

yeah its not band of brothers - but nothing is, its an especially good story before you even make into a book or a tv series
With the old breed on its own would be fairly tight focused (just a couple of people in two battles)

John Orlof was in the comments on this history buffs video ages ago talking about MotA:

Orlof wrote BoB but not the TP so maybe that will help?

looking forward to it

Good video btw. I dont know how much of the innaccuracies / tainting of certain characters ( Dyke etc ) came from the scriptwriters or were carried over from the Stephen Ambrose book( been a while since I read Bob ) . But after reading a few Ambrose books , it always seemed to me Ambrose has 2 types of people, either perfect soldiers/human beings or terrible soldiers / human beings, theres no grey areas at all. You can understand wanting to honour the greatest generation, but it can be a bit two dimensional and a lot of older WW2 books are similar.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good video btw. I dont know how much of the innaccuracies / tainting of certain characters ( Dyke etc ) came from the scriptwriters or were carried over from the Stephen Ambrose book( been a while since I read Bob ) . But after reading a few Ambrose books , it always seemed to me Ambrose has 2 types of people, either perfect soldiers/human beings or terrible soldiers / human beings, theres no grey areas at all. You can understand wanting to honour the greatest generation, but it can be a bit two dimensional and a lot of older WW2 books are similar.

I think from memory a bunch of it is mostly down to Easy Vets each telling Ambrose lots of stories from 50 years previously, from memory, some will be inaccurate, others contradict, some are mistakes by Ambrose, some by BoB Scriptwriters, some by production etc etc

Soldato
OP
SVS7wr2.png

Yup, finally!

Suspended
As a child I used to enjoy watching 'Memphis Belle' which is a largely forgotten movie and not at all historically accurate, but as a 9 year old boy it ticked all my boxes.

So am quite looking forward to this.

Underboss
As a child I used to enjoy watching 'Memphis Belle' which is a largely forgotten movie and not at all historically accurate, but as a 9 year old boy it ticked all my boxes.

So am quite looking forward to this.
Very much the same.

In for this, think it was first rumoured around 2004 or so, very much looking forward to it.

Soldato
I'll probably get apple tv just to watch this, hopefully there's some other decent stuff on there too.
Far too many streaming services now...
I've been on a free sub from barclaycard offers for ages but it's top of a list i'll pay for - has a consistent quality across it's shows that's very absent on the main streaming services, even the more average Apple offerings.

Caporegime
I'm sure it'll go down as a classic series but I think it's a bit late to the party.
I can't think of much WW2 "hype" that's around. The Saving private Ryan Band of brothers moment was long ago. Ww2 is deffo out of fashion, so to speak.

I'm very much into the history of WW2 and deffo will watch this as obviously it's going to be visually great. The plot line, well I think it's going to be fairly predictable but that's understandable.

I can't imagine it'll have much appeal outside of a small special audience. It's just not being sown into very fertile soil...... I don't think.

Back
Top Bottom