Masters of the Air 2023

i think i need to revisit Pacific. Maybe it was a hangover from BOB being so good. I can remember thinking it was good, but not quite there and definitely not the masterpiece that BOB was.

Will definitly work my way through the new series - tbh if its half as good as BOB, it will most likely be far better then a lot of other stuff thats broadcast!

i think i need to revisit Pacific. Maybe it was a hangover from BOB being so good. I can remember thinking it was good, but not quite there and definitely not the masterpiece that BOB was.

That's very much the feeling I get with TP. I've watched it twice and that's enough. I've watched BoB 6 or 7 times now and all the talk in the other thread has made me decide I'll watch an episode each time I do an indoor cycle.

That's very much the feeling I get with TP. I've watched it twice and that's enough. I've watched BoB 6 or 7 times now and all the talk in the other thread has made me decide I'll watch an episode each time I do an indoor cycle.
I know a few others on this thread have said the same - I reckon i have probably watched BOB at least once every couple of years - and on each watch the serious has me captivated. Does not get tired. Never had this with any other TV show.

I know a few others on this thread have said the same - I reckon i have probably watched BOB at least once every couple of years - and on each watch the serious has me captivated. Does not get tired. Never had this with any other TV show.

To be fair to TP there are some great scenes within it but even if I had a gun to my head I wouldn't be able to give you any quotes or really memorable parts.

Only part that sticks out in my memory is the lone Japanese soldier on the beach or holding the mini gun with bare hands. Whereas tonnes of BoB quotes live free in my mind.

Last edited:
Getting this thread back on Topic (I love BoB and enjoy TP but they have their own threads) -

Reviews for Masters of the Air -

The Guardian - 5/5 - "For all of its wonders, Masters of the Air feels like the end of something – a season finale to the long-running series Extravagant TV. But if it is the last we will see of its kind, then what a way to go"

The Times - 5/5 - "This slick Second World War epic exudes an unmistakable Tom Hanksishness"

The Telegraph - 5/5 - "You can feel the love lavished on this project by producers Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks. And you can feel the $250 million budget."

Variety - "The series is massive, beautifully rendered and a reminder that war is murderous, gruesome and horrifically human."

The BBC - 3/5 - "Masters of the Air is a big old-fashioned war drama, glossed up with dazzling special effects and stocked with some of today's hottest young actors."

Empire - 5/5 - "At its best, Masters Of The Air functions like the epic war movies Hollywood used to produce: a vast canvas, a sweeping starry ensemble, a sobering, involving reminder of history’s bloodiest conflict."

The Independent - 4/5 - "There are times when a less controlled, more naturalistic approach might have made the drama more human. But when the first plumes of smoke from anti-aircraft guns break through the cloud cover, it is hard to resist Masters of the Air."

Rolling Stone - "Masters of the Air ultimately lacks the adventurous spirit of [BoB] and the emotional gravity of [TP]. Unlike the precision bombardiers of the 100th, it only occasionally hits its target."

I like the idea that this is to "feel" like old fashioned TV and I think I'll enjoy this series, despite some of the very obvious "The US won the war" type things that a US made TV show will always bring. As a huge admirer of the story surrounding the Tuskegee airmen and the '95 film made around them (Red Tails is awful though), it'll be interesting to see if any "modern day politics" gets injected into their appearance or whether it'll stick to historical accuracy and present them as extremely professional aviators foremost.

Getting this thread back on Topic (I love BoB and enjoy TP but they have their own threads) -

Reviews for Masters of the Air -

The Guardian - 5/5 - "For all of its wonders, Masters of the Air feels like the end of something – a season finale to the long-running series Extravagant TV. But if it is the last we will see of its kind, then what a way to go"

The Times - 5/5 - "This slick Second World War epic exudes an unmistakable Tom Hanksishness"

The Telegraph - 5/5 - "You can feel the love lavished on this project by producers Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks. And you can feel the $250 million budget."

Variety - "The series is massive, beautifully rendered and a reminder that war is murderous, gruesome and horrifically human."

The BBC - 3/5 - "Masters of the Air is a big old-fashioned war drama, glossed up with dazzling special effects and stocked with some of today's hottest young actors."

Empire - 5/5 - "At its best, Masters Of The Air functions like the epic war movies Hollywood used to produce: a vast canvas, a sweeping starry ensemble, a sobering, involving reminder of history’s bloodiest conflict."

The Independent - 4/5 - "There are times when a less controlled, more naturalistic approach might have made the drama more human. But when the first plumes of smoke from anti-aircraft guns break through the cloud cover, it is hard to resist Masters of the Air."

Rolling Stone - "Masters of the Air ultimately lacks the adventurous spirit of [BoB] and the emotional gravity of [TP]. Unlike the precision bombardiers of the 100th, it only occasionally hits its target."

I like the idea that this is to "feel" like old fashioned TV and I think I'll enjoy this series, despite some of the very obvious "The US won the war" type things that a US made TV show will always bring. As a huge admirer of the story surrounding the Tuskegee airmen and the '95 film made around them (Red Tails is awful though), it'll be interesting to see if any "modern day politics" gets injected into their appearance or whether it'll stick to historical accuracy and present them as extremely professional aviators foremost.

Perhaps I should give it another chance, I managed 20 minutes and it was boring as hell.

Back
Top Bottom