Mattresses - I need knowledge

Associate
We received our new mattress today (went for the nectar) and I checked the old Tempur 21 over.
There is no static sag but the mattress itself is so soft you can depress it completely with very little force.
It's almost like it has lost its structure over the years

Soldato
The Emma tv adds say how they have won a which best bed award.

I don't have a which subscription, the only data you can see for free says

Our latest tests saw the new Emma mattress pitched against other online-exclusive mattresses from Next, Made.com, Ergoflex, Sleepbear and Uno.

Three of the 10 new mattresses we tested earned our coveted Best Buy recommendation. One really impressed in our independent tests and achieved a chart-topping score of 79%, 27 percentage points higher than the worst we’ve found this year.

who were the other two ?

These stupid which awards are meaningless if you cannot see the criteria .. was it the best bed from a manufacturer starting with an 'E' ?

Don
You should rotate it though.

As for the 'none turn' thing, that's a load of marketing rubbish, and I would avoid buying any mattress that states this. The reason why you turn a mattress over every few weeks, is to make it last longer. A none turn mattress won't last as long as a double sided mattress.

None turn is basically the manufacturer lowering its production costs, meaning you get less for your money i.e. Quality, but still pay the premium.

Most mattresses these days have a topper on them. Turning them means that the topper is on the bottom and you're spending half your time not sleeping on it..

[Edit] Just noticed how much of a necro this thread was :o

Don
The Emma tv adds say how they have won a which best bed award.

I don't have a which subscription, the only data you can see for free says

who were the other two ?

These stupid which awards are meaningless if you cannot see the criteria .. was it the best bed from a manufacturer starting with an 'E' ?

The score given to the mattresses aren't in relation to each other, it is against a set of overall test criteria. It just happens that in this test, only mattresses from other "other online-exclusive" were tested.

For what it's worth, these are the top-5 Which? mattresses right now:

e7f236.jpg

Soldato
"Easy to turn over on"?

Am I just massively spoiled by every mattress I've ever owned, or is it a body mass thing or and age thing or what? (I'm no spring chicken, but I'm relatively slim)... I cannot comprehend the idea of struggling to turn over in bed? Is that a real thing?

Soldato
For what it's worth, these are the top-5 Which? mattresses right now:
thanks - interesting .... who did't win a best buy award .. long term testing is what I want to see

"Easy to turn over on"?
agree seems a bit ott .... although Tempur matress's molding to your body are a bit annoying if you want to move, a bit like quick-sand
(but Serenas been jumping all over them) maybe it's a euphemism though.

Soldato
Anyone able to recommend a base?

We bought a John lewis mattress around a year ago which seemed perfect for us in store (think it was about £800) but have recently been waking up in pain. Our base is a metal frame with sprung slats that's not the most sturdy and creaks/moves a lot.

My wife is thinking of changing everything but my thinking is to change the base, see how we get on and then maybe change the mattress after. Do you get much of a better deal/better choice by buying combined?

Soldato
Am i right in thinking that these Mattresses that are rolled up when purchased have very little edge support and are not very nice to sit on?

Wasn't there a bigger thread on OCUK about buying a new bed?

Caporegime
Am i right in thinking that these Mattresses that are rolled up when purchased have very little edge support and are not very nice to sit on?

Wasn't there a bigger thread on OCUK about buying a new bed?

Literally reading about this right now!

https://www.otza.com/otty-mattress-review/

Has edge supoort comments.

What would people recommend? I'm tempted to go with the Otty and frame for £800.

I think I prefer something on the firmer side.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Still recommending John Ryan. I've bought three now, our main bedroom mattress is now 18 months old and you'd be hard pressed to tell.

Established business, a tonne of positive reviews (legit) on trust pilot etc. Know their stuff etc.

For comparison, we did get a 100 day trial (something like that) of the Simba when we were refurbing. Hated it. Far too hot, squidgy and it had a strange chemical smell which didn't go away. I suspect others are happy with the Simba/Casper/Eva/other "challenger brand" mattress but my personal experience wasn't positive.

Edit - and in true big brother style I receive JR's newsletter shortly after posting. Coincidence.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bought a Simba mattress last year, after 5 months or so we noticed it had started collapsing.

this got replaced in December 2018, The new mattress looked noticeably different to the previous mattress.

over the last few weeks I have noticed exactly the same problem but the sunken area is deeper and longer than previous, bit gutted as the first few months sleep are exceptional and its just slowly going down hill.

emailed them again, think I'm just going to ask for my money back. surely a mattress should last longer than a few months before sinking.

Caporegime
Given how much of our lives are spent in bed it makes sense to spend good money on a top end mattress. We got a Herdy Mattress which is firm but makes you feel like you are being supported by magic. Can't recommend more highly. It has a Herdwick sheep's fleece incorporated. I think it may be made by Harrison Spinks.

We went for a Herdy, didn't seem badly priced and seems nice and comfy. It came boxed but no problem with edge support I can see.

Company that delivered it mentioned they take a lot of Simbas back as returns but never took a Herdy back.

Caporegime
Have to say, after trying the Otty & Remfit, I am much preferring our John Ryan. Highly recommended.

Still recommending John Ryan. I've bought three now, our main bedroom mattress is now 18 months old and you'd be hard pressed to tell.

Established business, a tonne of positive reviews (legit) on trust pilot etc. Know their stuff etc.

For comparison, we did get a 100 day trial (something like that) of the Simba when we were refurbing. Hated it. Far too hot, squidgy and it had a strange chemical smell which didn't go away. I suspect others are happy with the Simba/Casper/Eva/other "challenger brand" mattress but my personal experience wasn't positive.

Edit - and in true big brother style I receive JR's newsletter shortly after posting. Coincidence.

Very intresting.

What ones did you go for?

Looking at the pocket 1500

Soldato
can you trust me, with a referral link ?
- Seriously, I'm already converted, but they/JR are a premium (albeit an economic one) above the Simba type, mattress in a box, category. ?

Ironically I wonder if the likes of those companies, introducing this lower price market segment have actually reduced the scale of manufacture the conventional bed companies had, and pushed up their prices.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Very intresting.

What ones did you go for?

Looking at the pocket 1500

The first one (our main bedroom) was the Origins Pocket 1500. Bought it August 2017, so in fact a little over 18 months in fact. The second and third both Origins Pocket 1000. These are a bit softer, not ridiculously so but noticeably squidgier at the edge in comparison.

can you trust me, with a referral link ?
- Seriously, I'm already converted, but they/JR are a premium (albeit an economic one) above the Simba type, mattress in a box, category. ?

Ironically I wonder if the likes of those companies, introducing this lower price market segment have actually reduced the scale of manufacture the conventional bed companies had, and pushed up their prices.

Hi jpaul, not sure they have a referral scheme actually. In my opinion (and it's just an opinion albeit one of experience) something like a pocket 1500 (or even the pocket 1000 which replaced a Simba 100 night trial) is far superior.

Take a look on JR's site, there's a well reasoned discussion on why a 'normal' (so to speak) mattress is better than the simba.

Soldato
Another +1 for John Ryan. I've posted in this thread before (but it's deep now!), as we have 2 that we've had for 5 years now (they were even called Factory Beds Direct back then). Planning to buy another when we move to a 3-bed.

Back
Top Bottom