Mattresses - I need knowledge

Soldato
If you buy split (side specific) densities on one sided bed you can only sleep in two positions -
versus 8 positions with a double sided, without the densities ... can they even robustly build mixed densities on a double sided ?
switching sides definitely helps for long mattress life, from heavier partener.

( looking at dreams link - I must have missed the bit where they clearly said it was not double sided .. just implied by only head2toe flip )

Soldato
Received my mattress in a box from Otty, ordered yesterday morning, turned up this morning in what turned out to be a really heavy box (with no handles embarrassingly).

It's un-compressed it's self and from my 30 second try feels amazingly comfy. Really interested what it'll be like tonight after 1 and a half years of a broken pocket sprung John Lewis job (ex seemed to have made a bit of a dent in it)

Associate
Received my mattress in a box from Otty, ordered yesterday morning, turned up this morning in what turned out to be a really heavy box (with no handles embarrassingly).

It's un-compressed it's self and from my 30 second try feels amazingly comfy. Really interested what it'll be like tonight after 1 and a half years of a broken pocket sprung John Lewis job (ex seemed to have made a bit of a dent in it)

How are you getting on with the Otty mattress? im in the market for a new mattress as the one i got from bensons for beds a couple of years back is sagging (going to check tonight how badly its sagging to see if its covered under warranty). Been looking at the simba mattress, thousands of great reviews but the few that talk about sagging after a while makes me concerned about the same happening then having to buy a new mattress. I've seen the recommendations for the john ryan and the origins pocket 1500 has caught my eye, but i need super kingsize and they only have this in zip and link and only give a 3 year warranty on this mattress. And they themselves only recommend the mattress for a guest bedroom so makes me question how good it will stand up to being slept in every night with my 6'1" 100kg bulk in it.

Soldato
How are you getting on with the Otty mattress? im in the market for a new mattress as the one i got from bensons for beds a couple of years back is sagging (going to check tonight how badly its sagging to see if its covered under warranty). Been looking at the simba mattress, thousands of great reviews but the few that talk about sagging after a while makes me concerned about the same happening then having to buy a new mattress. I've seen the recommendations for the john ryan and the origins pocket 1500 has caught my eye, but i need super kingsize and they only have this in zip and link and only give a 3 year warranty on this mattress. And they themselves only recommend the mattress for a guest bedroom so makes me question how good it will stand up to being slept in every night with my 6'1" 100kg bulk in it.

Well Im 6'4" and 94kg so a reasonable comparison, it's been 6 weeks of some of the best nights sleep I've had in years on the Otty

It's held it's shape very well, I can get comfy on it quickly and it's not been too hot (especially this week). £400 well spent in my eyes as I'm waking up refreshed, relaxed and happy.

Associate
I'm in need a of a new mattress. My existing pocket sprung is now over 10 years old and feels like its past its prime and I'm having trouble sleeping. Going to order a King size Otty and try it out. At least there's the 100 day return if I can't get used to it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can anyone recommend a good place or make for bed frames with storage, or divans? We've chosen a mattress, but still looking for a base we like. Given the perpetual lack of storage we seem to have in our house, we're looking for something with drawers or other storage underneath.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I'm trying to persuade my partner to get one of the John Ryan mattresses but its proving a tricky sell. Its a lot of money and she can't lay on it to test it. I have explained about the guarantee, how we can return it if we don't like it and that £1000 isn't a ridiculous amount of money when it comes to something that has such a big impact on your life but shes not sold. Are there any comparable mattresses that we will find in one of the "high street" bed or furniture stores that we could try out? I am kind of going with the opinion that there isn't because like a car you can have a 1 litre engine in 3 different cars and you wouldn't buy car C because you tried car A and thought it was OK.

Soldato
I'm trying to persuade my partner to get one of the John Ryan mattresses but its proving a tricky sell. Its a lot of money and she can't lay on it to test it. I have explained about the guarantee, how we can return it if we don't like it and that £1000 isn't a ridiculous amount of money when it comes to something that has such a big impact on your life but shes not sold. Are there any comparable mattresses that we will find in one of the "high street" bed or furniture stores that we could try out? I am kind of going with the opinion that there isn't because like a car you can have a 1 litre engine in 3 different cars and you wouldn't buy car C because you tried car A and thought it was OK.

If you keep the mattress for 10 years, it's only £100 a year for a decent night's sleep. £2.74 a day. I bet she's spent more than that on a sandwich and drink at work for one lunchtime. And if you don't like it, you can send it back.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
If you keep the mattress for 10 years, it's only £100 a year, £8.33 a month for a decent night's sleep. I bet she's spent more than that on a sandwich and drink at work for one lunchtime. And if you don't like it, you can send it back.

I did try this but she is adamant that there is no point "because all mattresses give up after a few years" and "our last one was expensive and didn't last". It was £400 for a king size.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Ignore her, buy the John Ryan one using Paypal Credit. Let it be delivered and if she complains it's uncomfy then send it back for free :p

They're incredibly helpful and collected ours quickly after we decided to go with something else.

Haha, i'm not sure i'm that brave!

What made you return it in the end?

Soldato
We didn't find it very comfy. Although we then ordered one from John Lewis and had similar issues but were stuck with it. In January this year we bought a new base (divan) and it's been brilliantly comfy ever since, suggesting there was an issue with the old frame (Metal with sprung slats) and not the mattress.

In the future i'll definitely reconsider John Ryan.

Soldato
I did try this but she is adamant that there is no point "because all mattresses give up after a few years" and "our last one was expensive and didn't last". It was £400 for a king size.

Does she buy cheap clothes, shoes, makeup, and food for the same reasons? Like putting the cheapest tyres on the car, it's a false economy, usually because people don't know any better.

Poor sleep contributes to so many health issues, and good sleep gives a big improvement to your quality of life. If it's what you want, stand your ground and say this is something you want for the both of you. She sounds like the sort of person that is happy to spend money on the stuff she thinks is important, so you should be able to do the same.

Soldato

If you look after a high quality (double-sided) mattress by rotating and turning it regularly, it will last 15+ years if it is well made and even longer if you use a topper with it. I'd also ask what relevance lying on a bed for 5 minutes in a shop actually does? It's pretty much the same as kicking the tyres on a car, naff all is the answer.
If you can't convince her by the fact that they offer a 60 days no quibble money back with free collection and up to 10 years warranty on the mattresses themselves, then is sounds to me like she just doesn't want to part with the cash, and would rather buy 2-3 average beds for more money over the same life span and in the process help create more waste and help ruin the environment to boot, with all that craptastic polyester filling you'll be committing too. Sorry for the rant :(

Co-incidentally I've just had a brand new super-king base delivered this morning to go with our newest mattress, it should add significantly to the comfort level being a sprung divan.

Finally have you watched any of their videos where they take say a £1000 high-street mattress and cut them in half to show you how badly they are made? They then do a comparison to their equivalent at 50-60% less and show how superior it is, in terms of build, and fillings. Ask your Mrs how can places like dreams cut 50% off the cost of a mattress in a sale, it is because most of them are heavily overpriced in the first place, and they are still making a huge margin with that sale price too.

Associate
Had my Otty mattress for a few days now and I am very impressed with it. I was worried that it would just feel like I was sinking but it is very firm and supportive. Also doesn't feel any hotter than a normal mattress either. Hopefully it will stand the test of time but so far so good.

Soldato
update on my Simba mattress'

1st replaced faulty - collapsed on the edges
2nd replaced faulty - a dip formed half way down the bed in a straight line causing hips to sink in the bed
3rd few months in and can already feel indentations, a definite high spot in the middle of the mattress.

wouldn't recommend one to anyone, unless you weight the same as a bag of sugar. I'm not a small person but I'm by no means a lump of lard. 100kg which is under that recommendation by them.

I've never known a mattress to sink as quick as these do.

going to wait this one out, if it gets bad then will just bite the bullet and get a different mattress.

Back
Top Bottom