Mattresses - I need knowledge

Associate
Very intresting.

What ones did you go for?

Looking at the pocket 1500

That's the one we went for. If you email John Ryan with details of budget, who is going to be sleeping on the bed and their weight, as well as whether they are front/side/back sleepers, they will email you back with a recommendation. They also called after I had placed the order to make sure I had ordered the right mattress for my needs. Really pleased with the service.

Soldato
Thanks I seen this, just there is literally hundreds of 'which' or mattress website reviews of the others and none JR. Seems a bit odd if they are that much better. Or the rest are paying....

Most of the big mattress review sites are on a commission basis. If you look at the RY website they tell you which mattresses they compare to so you can try them out in stores. There are lots of happy buyers on here too. I love mine :) I tried some of the new foam mattresses in stores and just didn't get the support I wanted. Can't beat traditional I think.

Caporegime
Most of the big mattress review sites are on a commission basis. If you look at the RY website they tell you which mattresses they compare to so you can try them out in stores. There are lots of happy buyers on here too. I love mine :) I tried some of the new foam mattresses in stores and just didn't get the support I wanted. Can't beat traditional I think.

Yeah, I think I'm in.

For those that got the 1500 what do you weigh and what springs did you go for? Medium or Firm?

Soldato
I bought an Origin Pocket 2000 in August 2015, used it ever since so coming up to 4 years now. They are good but they need flipping basically every week. Mine starts to dip in the middle after 2 weeks.

Soldato
Hundreds for the others, but there is zero for John Ryan.
maybe they don't pay google for advertising or prioritisation in searches too

LOL
Casper’s unboxing videos are so popular, they have millions of views on YouTube, alone, resulting in free publicity for the company....
As mentioned above, Casper’s 100-night free trial isn’t something casually mentioned as an afterthought (such as on their checkout page). Rather, it’s something that’s consistent through each stage of their funnel (especially in their cart recovery emails which we’ll discuss in Part 5: Strategy#1).
You know the importance of using customer testimonials to help close potential buyers. But are you showcasing them as best as you can?
In fact, as of writing, their estimated monthly budget for Google Adwords, alone, is $128,000
After buying from Casper, you get an order confirmation email. Nothing new there. But here’s where it gets interesting…
In the email footer, there’s a referral link to refer friends and earn rewards. <- folks in the energy thread take note

Casper Marketing: How a Mattress Company Went from Zero to $750 Million in 4 Years (Case Study)

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Yeah, I think I'm in.

For those that got the 1500 what do you weigh and what springs did you go for? Medium or Firm?

Bit late, I know as you've bought (good choice), I'm ~12st, wife is ~9st (I dunno, I've never asked) and we find the 1500 medium is perfectly firm for us. Probably flip every eight weeks, certainly not every week like @Mason- who has the firmer 2000 spring.

No dips for us.

Caporegime
Bit late, I know as you've bought (good choice), I'm ~12st, wife is ~9st (I dunno, I've never asked) and we find the 1500 medium is perfectly firm for us. Probably flip every eight weeks, certainly not every week like @Mason- who has the firmer 2000 spring.

No dips for us.

Awesome. Excited, I thought my 200E Mattress was good at the start (awful 12 months later) so this should be next level.

Soldato
My old pocket spring mattress was around 10 years old and definitely needed replacing. I like a firm flat mattress so I was thinking a foam one wouldn't suit due to the memory top layer being too soft.

Did do the usual research and decided a thinner foam mattress might be OK and ordered a Casper Essential. I had budgeted up to £500 and could have bought The Casper as it was world sleep day when I ordered but actually bought the Essential for £340. Bit of gamble really as I had read it could breath less with less layers in the makeup more on that.

In prep I bought some hard board and covered the base slats as they are further apart than recommended for the foam mattress. So I expected a pretty flat and unforgiving mattress and essentially (sic) that is the case as there's very little spring in mattress when lying on it but put your hand down and you'll sink right in to the mattress. So this is how is moulds to your body as point pressure is relieved by the memory foam top layer.

I was expecting the stated adjustment period but I was comfortable almost immediately and the memory foam can feel quite warm where you touch it. So if you want more give or bounce get a thicker foam mattress and use sprung slats (but to the required spacing). If you are particularly hot at night then get a mattress with 5 or more layers or stick to a more traditional pocket sprung mattress.

A couple of times I've woken up hot but that has been when the ambient temps rose plus I've still got a 13.5 Tog duvey which is going to be too much very soon anyway.

Bed in a Box concept is very convenient as I had to arrange for the council to remove my old double but the Casper arrived at work and fitted easily in the boot.

Associate
Been using my Simba Super King for a few months and no back pain! Does sink a little bit more than my previous but great nevertheless less.

Soldato
Well, I bought a Leesa (super king) and returned it after about 70 days. No problem returning it, british heart foundation picked it up today. It was just too soft and also held a chemical smell even after opening windows and airing it for days.

I went over to Dreams on Saturday and layed down on a few.
Eventually decided on the Flaxby Nature's Element DNAir Mattress (super king in split medium/firm comfort grade) girlfriend is just under 8 stone so i weight about 5 stone more than her, firm is way too hard for her, soft is (you guessed it) too soft for me

Ended up costing £1079 after discount (£119) rrp apparently £1399. Lead time is 3 weeks as apparently is hand made and takes 3 weeks made to order. Does sound like a nice mattress but dubious its fully hand made and think it may just be a bit of a marketing technique with the amount of springs (3000 pocket springs)

Anyway, this is it. Think a coil mattress will suit us more than memory foam

https://www.dreams.co.uk/flaxby-nature-s-element-dnair-mattress/p/131-00612-configurable

Soldato
Ended up costing £1079 after discount (£119) rrp apparently £1399. Lead time is 3 weeks as apparently is hand made and takes 3 weeks made to order. Does sound like a nice mattress but dubious its fully hand made and think it may just be a bit of a marketing technique with the amount of springs (3000 pocket springs)

Anyway, this is it. Think a coil mattress will suit us more than memory foam

https://www.dreams.co.uk/flaxby-nature-s-element-dnair-mattress/p/131-00612-configurable

Sorry to say this, but as much as it looks like a good deal and looks/feels a decent mattress literally on the surface it's not. It's 20cm height, single sided and has very little in terms of filling, and to top it of (again literally) it uses viscose which is an non-breathable man-made top layer rather than a nature fiber. I'd be surprised if it feels anything like it did new after 3 years, let alone the 5 the guarantee covers, you'll end up dips and hollows all over the place due to the one sided nature.

Oh, and the whole 3 weeks to build seems a bit misleading, since that product is made for Dreams and is not sold anywhere else.

Have a look at this one https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/product/artisan-tailored-pocket-2000/?size=super-king

A far superior product in the same price bracket, with a better build quality, double sided, much better and more filing, a longer warranty, and you can still get the split firmness. 60 days to return it for any reason as well, which is much better than lying on it in a bed shop for 10 minutes which literally tells you nothing at all about how well you will sleep on if, a bit like kicking the tries on a car rather than having it on test for a whole weekend.

Last edited:
Soldato
There are loads of 20cm mattresses (John Lewis collection for example) which are one sided. That said, I have contacted Dreams to see what they say about depth and if it should be a factor is causing dips and hollows and also posted a question on the site

Soldato
There are loads of 20cm mattresses (John Lewis collection for example) which are one sided. That said, I have contacted Dreams to see what they say about depth and if it should be a factor is causing dips and hollows and also posted a question on the site

Yes, and off you look at any decent higher end mattress you'll see that most of them are double sided unless they use latex as the top layer. Not being able to turn ot over literally means you have have the filing, a 20cm Vs 35cm for example.

Look at all the mattresses above £2500+ from high Street and you'll see this single sided trend vanish.

Back
Top Bottom