Mattresses - I need knowledge

Caporegime
The 3 year warranty on the John Ryan Origins 1500 did worry me as didn't want to shell out over £800 on something that would only last possibly 3 years and not get covered for any faults. Didn't realise ikea's warranty was so long. Any idea how they are with there warranty claims?

I ask as we are having a nightmare with Bensons for beds. We bought a bed (mattress, divan and headboard) a few years ago, think it was about 2014. The side of the mattress buckled so they sent someone to inspect it. We were told it was faulty and had to exchange it because they didn't make that particular one anymore, but because we bought it as a set we had to exchange everything, the mattress, divan and headboard. We wanted to upgrade to a superking size anyway as the new house we just moved to had a much bigger bedroom. So we had to pay an extra £100 or so and that was that. Now the new mattress has significant sagging (measured it ourselves at 40mm) on both sides where we sleep, i weigh 100kg, my wife about 70kg and we rotated it all the time (cannot flip). We phoned bensons and they weren't interested, we had to arrange our own inspection (which costs £150 through the furniture ombudsman) and can't complain to the furniture ombudsman until 12 weeks after the initial complaint which was only about 3 weeks ago. Then if they deem it is faulty we get the money back and have to go through the whole palava again of going and getting a whole new bed, but we don't really want to because the sagging will probably happen in a couple of years again. And if they don't deem it to be faulty then we are stuck with the same bed and £150 down. So we just want to go buy a new mattress and keep the divan and headboard.

the 2 i linked to above both say "25 year guarantee. Read about the terms in the guarantee brochure."

so need to look into that as well but it's ikea, I don't think it will be an issue if didn't last and wasn't misused. will likely have terms and conditions like must be used in a residential setting, etc. but need to do some research on the guarantee side of things.

My thinner Casper Essential has been perfect for me but there caveats. On a hard flat base it has little give and any single point of pressure such as leaning on you hand can dig deep. However once lying on it I've never been more comfortable my recent bad back has gone completely. I would definitely say my previous pocket mattress was starting to dip and was contributing to that.

Probably been said but foam mattresses can feel warm immediately around the body and if you do tend to sweat a bit in bed then definitely get a 5+ layer for the extra breath-ability and softness if preferred. No problem for me being fairly lean.

all the research i've done basically points to that box mattresses are just marketing scams. if you are happy then all is good and some people will be. however my current mattress was £1600 out of debenhams. it's 10 years old and still like the day i bought it. i'm buying another because i'm going from double to king size, not because my current mattress is falling apart. it will be going in the spare room and will likely last another 30 years in there with little use.

oh and i didn't pay £1600 for it managed to get it in a sale from elsewhere for £400-£600 ish. it's just i checked their website and saw they were selling the same model / product for £1600. so i knew it was genuinely "on sale" and not just a marketing scam like most are.

those mattress in box style pop up all the time and it's all just paid advertisements. i don't trust them at all they are very much for the sheep in the world IMO. I would never buy a mattress that can be rolled up regardless of what it's made of. also they have a refer and earn system - that should tell you all you need to know about casper. "Use your link to give your friends and family £50 towards a new Casper mattress.
For every friend who purchases, you’ll earn a £50 Amazon.co.uk Gift Card.*
So start spreading the snooze!"

so if they can afford to pay you £50 and give your mate £50 off a £400 mattress and still make a profit with all their marketing costs. shows the mattress cost like £50 to make. remember delivery won't be cheap and all the middle men, manufacturing, logistics, overheads, staff, etc.

having stayed at friends and family, several hotels worldwide including 3-5 stars i've had the experience of many different mattresses and you can instantly tell a good one from an okay one from a cheap one. the cheap ones have all been foam style mattresses or really cheap spring ones (not pocket sprung). pocket spring is the best for a mattress. i've tried memory foam and it didn't last and was too hot. it's okay as a top layer but not as a full mattress.

Last edited:
Associate
the 2 i linked to above both say "25 year guarantee. Read about the terms in the guarantee brochure."

so need to look into that as well but it's ikea, I don't think it will be an issue if didn't last and wasn't misused. will likely have terms and conditions like must be used in a residential setting, etc. but need to do some research on the guarantee side of things.

all the research i've done basically points to that box mattresses are just marketing scams. if you are happy then all is good and some people will be. however my current mattress was £1600 out of debenhams. it's 10 years old and still like the day i bought it. i'm buying another because i'm going from double to king size, not because my current mattress is falling apart. it will be going in the spare room and will likely last another 30 years in there with little use.

oh and i didn't pay £1600 for it managed to get it in a sale from elsewhere for £400-£600 ish. it's just i checked their website and saw they were selling the same model / product for £1600. so i knew it was genuinely "on sale" and not just a marketing scam like most are.

those mattress in box style pop up all the time and it's all just paid advertisements. i don't trust them at all they are very much for the sheep in the world IMO. I would never buy a mattress that can be rolled up regardless of what it's made of. also they have a refer and earn system - that should tell you all you need to know about casper.

having stayed at friends and family, several hotels worldwide including 3-5 stars i've had the experience of many different mattresses and you can instantly tell a good one from an okay one from a cheap one. the cheap ones have all been foam style mattresses or really cheap spring ones (not pocket sprung). pocket spring is the best for a mattress. i've tried memory foam and it didn't last and was too hot. it's okay as a top layer but not as a full mattress.

Out of curiosity, what is the current mattress you have?

Soldato

No argument from me as I'm not a "converted" just wanted to try one with the 100 day return policy offered. They do seem quite expensive for just a few foam layers stuck together and so I'll see if it stands up to time. The last one was a decent pocket sprung mattress that I stretched beyond the typical 10 years to my detriment. I'll gladly go back to another decent sprung mattress though for my well being.

Caporegime
@Psycho Sonny just spoke to ikea CS to find out if they had the HIDRASUND on display to go and try and and they said my local store doesn't and they have also discontinued the mattress

i literally just sat on one 2 or 3 weeks ago in Glasgow store. it's still on the website too. they have pretty much every mattress in store for you to try IKEA's are usually massive. if it is EOL did they tell you when it will be replaced and by what?

also i've read that IKEA send a third party out to inspect and they are likely to mark anything down as wear and tear. you are better off complaining in person and in store. also they offer a 90 day money back guarantee. so you get 3 months like most places to use it.

How long is the guarantee valid?
The guarantee for mattresses and bed components other than electrical motors remains in force for twenty-five (25) years from the date of purchase. The original purchase receipt is required as proof of purchase.

The guarantee for electrical motors remains in force for five (5) years from the date of purchase.

What is covered under this guarantee?
This guarantee covers defects in material and workmanship in the following components of the mattresses and/or bed bases described above from the date of purchase from IKEA. The original purchase receipt is required as proof of purchase. This guarantee applies to domestic use only.

• Wooden frame and springs in wooden base spring mattresses
  • Springs in spring mattresses
  • Foam core in foam mattresses
  • Latex core in latex mattresses
  • Wooden frame, slats and springs in bed bases
  • Electric motor in electrically operated bed bases (5-year guarantee)
Products not covered under this guarantee
This guarantee does not apply to: All mattress pads. Mattresses JÖMNA, JÄRNUDDA, JELSA; sofa bed mattresses and children's mattresses.

What will IKEA do to correct the problem?
IKEA will examine the product and decide, at its sole discretion, if it is covered under this guarantee. If considered covered, IKEA through its own service operations, will then, at its sole discretion, either repair the defective product or replace it with the same or a comparable product. If it is covered by this guarantee, IKEA will pay the costs of repairs, spare parts, labour and travel for repair staff, that IKEA incurs, provided that the product is accessible for repair without special expenditure. This does not apply to any repair work not authorized by IKEA. Replaced parts become the property of IKEA.

If the item is no longer sold by IKEA, IKEA will provide an appropriate replacement. It is IKEA that determines, at its sole discretion, what constitutes an appropriate replacement.

What is not covered under this guarantee?
This guarantee does not apply to products that have been stored or installed incorrectly, used inappropriately, abused, misused, altered, or cleaned with wrong cleaning methods or cleaning products.

This guarantee does not cover normal wear and tear, cuts or scratches, or damage caused by impacts or accidents.

This guarantee does not apply if the product has been placed outdoors or in a humid environment.

This guarantee does not cover consequential or incidental damages.

For customers in the US only: some states do not allow the limitation or exclusion of incidental or consequential damage, so this limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.

Before using for the first time
Initially, your new mattress can seem a bit too firm. Allow one month for your body to get used to the mattress and for the mattress to get used to your body.

To get the best comfort you need the right pillow. Make sure that you have a pillow that suits you and your new mattress.

Roll packed mattresses regain their shape after 3-4 days of use.

All new materials have their own particular smell, which gradually disappears. Airing and vacuuming the mattress will help to eliminate the smell.

90 days exchange policy
It’s important to us that you sleep well on your new mattress. Should you discover that it isn’t completely to your satisfaction after allowing one month for your body to get used to the mattress – bring the mattress back and try out a new one. You have 90 days to sleep on it!

Care and cleaning
Complement the mattress with a mattress protector or a mattress pad. It makes it more hygienic, as it is easy to remove and clean. Some mattresses and pads have a washable cover. Read the tag inside the cover for more information. Make sure that the zipper is closed when washing the mattress cover. Vacuuming the mattress helps to remove dust and mites. Use upholstery cleaner to remove stains.

If your mattress is turnable you should turn it about every three months. Turning a mattress ensures more even wear and helps to prolong its comfort.

Don’t fold the mattress. It can damage the springs and materials inside.

Even the best mattresses become less comfortable with age, and all mattresses accumulate dust and mites over the years. So even if the mattresses have a 25-year guarantee, we still recommend that you change your mattress every 8–10 years.

This guarantee gives you specific legal rights, and is in addition to your statutory legal rights.

Associate
@Psycho Sonny i can see in it there site too. The Edinburgh store is closest to me. I never asked about what replacement there is as i'd expect any replacement to be on their site. i wonder if the CS agent was just talking rubbish. Might just go to the edinburgh store tonight after work anyway and see what they have myself

Associate
@Psycho Sonny just back from Edinburgh store and they had them on display. I think the CS agent wad just talking *****. Anyway we both liked the hindrasund, the wife preferred the firm but I preferred the medium/firm. Could feel my hip sink in a little on the medium/firm so straightened me out lying on my side compared to the firm where I felt my hip was sticking up at the side. Didn't feel like there was much edge support on it though. So I'm concerned about it possibly bowing out at the side if sat on the edge enough.

Caporegime
@Psycho Sonny just back from Edinburgh store and they had them on display. I think the CS agent wad just talking *****. Anyway we both liked the hindrasund, the wife preferred the firm but I preferred the medium/firm. Could feel my hip sink in a little on the medium/firm so straightened me out lying on my side compared to the firm where I felt my hip was sticking up at the side. Didn't feel like there was much edge support on it though. So I'm concerned about it possibly bowing out at the side if sat on the edge enough.

i'm going to go with a firm one

it does say this "You can sit comfortably on the edge of your bed. The mattress will stay firm and even thanks to the reinforced mattress edge." however like anything it won't be absolutely bullet proof at this price.

i doubt it's going end of life. if it was stock would be low and it wouldn't be on the website.

Caporegime
Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
We went from an Eve mattress to a Simba and the latter felt so nice.
The Eve went in the spare bedroom. Used it again recently and it felt really comfortable and we were asking ourselves why we changed.
So we've decided one isn't better than the other, just very different!

Associate
We went from an Eve mattress to a Simba and the latter felt so nice.
The Eve went in the spare bedroom. Used it again recently and it felt really comfortable and we were asking ourselves why we changed.
So we've decided one isn't better than the other, just very different!

Was this the Simba Hybrid Mattress ? really dont know what to go for but this one does look good.

Soldato
This bbc program about mattress construction was interesting
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0007slp/inside-the-factory-series-5-4-mattresses
looked like is was this £1K matress
https://www.belgicafurniture.com/emerald-14000-mattress-by-harrison-spinks/p33580
( good advertising for them ... Eve/Simba turned it down ??? )

so maybe a Ryan alternative ?
the springs did not look very substantial, constant diameter 1.5mm wire, and there seemed to be a lot of viscose going in, plus the two layers of mini springs in the topping looked like a gimmick.

... but the dual summer winter sides, on the link, although not obvious in the show, is a new one.

Soldato
We bought a Hybrid 5 Foam mattress with a Cool Blue Topper from JR just over 4 years ago but it's getting really uncomfortable to sleep on now, we both sleep on our sides and have noticed that our shoulders get really sore now whereas it was lovely to sleep on when we first purchased it. I also had the topper replaced 2 years ago because the original one split. I spoke to JR about it today but they told me they couldn't do anything just because it's uncomfortable but to send them some pics just in case it's faulty, thought we might get more than 4 years out of it though.

In the meantime, we're looking at getting another mattress and perhaps getting the Artisan Natural one which a couple of people on here have left good comments about. To anyone that's got this mattress do you use a topper of just the mattress on its own?

Soldato
In the meantime, we're looking at getting another mattress and perhaps getting the Artisan Natural one which a couple of people on here have left good comments about. To anyone that's got this mattress do you use a topper of just the mattress on its own?

We've got the Super King Artisan Naturals on the Artisan Sprung 4-Drawer Divan base, and I don't have a topper only a thin protector on it. It gets turned and/or rotated every two weeks to ensure that we get the maximum life out if it. However, I would not rule out getting a topper in the near future (especially if I get any heavier :p ) to add comfort if I feel the top layers do sink too much after 4-5 years.

Soldato
We've got the Super King Artisan Naturals on the Artisan Sprung 4-Drawer Divan base, and I don't have a topper only a thin protector on it. It gets turned and/or rotated every two weeks to ensure that we get the maximum life out if it. However, I would not rule out getting a topper in the near future (especially if I get any heavier :p ) to add comfort if I feel the top layers do sink too much after 4-5 years.
How are you finding the mattress?

Soldato
How are you finding the mattress?

Can't complain, given the cost to comfort and longevity ratio.

I've slept on much more expensive mattresses, and think that this is just as comfortable, and more importantly the Mrs no longer suffers lower back pain from this mattress, due to the level of consistent support offered.

Soldato
Took the plunge and bought a king size Artisan Naturals from JR, got 5% off as a repeat customer.

Is anyone using a mattress protector they can recommend?

On a side note, I removed the topper we had with the JR Hybrid 5 bed we've currently got and we've both been sleeping loads better, my knees and back aren't as sore after a nights sleep and my wife says her shoulders are a lot better when she sleeps on her side. Could the topper be faulty?

Soldato
s anyone using a mattress protector they can recommend?
just use a heavy weight brushed cotton fitted sheet ... think it was asda ... don't want to detract from breathability/comfort of matresses themselves

I'm intrigued why you'd want some kind of topper .. wasn't mattress ok on its own .. whilst I'd like to try dunlopillo, I find a memory (in combo on a hybrid?) too warm.
Tempur have (the 'ex' tennis player?) have some new breathable version though.

Back
Top Bottom