Max's Training Log - 1 Year On

01-07-13

88kg/13 stone 12lbs

Food intake was back to normal last week hence floating back up to 88kg.

Going to stick to 2500 cals for a bit and see how it goes.

Just done first session of PHAT, pretty bloody knackered!

My metabolism has issues I think so trying to find a level ground first will help me :p

I've not trained for 2 weeks and my diet was knocked down to reflect this so I expected some weight gain this week after eating normally again.

I do think I need to gain weight a bit but I'm taking it very slowly.

Will see what this week @ 2500 does it me but yeah its likely I will need to go nearer 3000.

08-07-13

87.2kg/13st 10lbs

Averaged 2500cals a day last week and still lost weight, I still can't seem to get a constant in terms of maintenance :confused:

My activity will now be the same for a few weeks so hopefully that will help.

Up to 2750cals a day this week roughly 150 carbs/150 fat/275 protein

15-07-13

87.2kg/13st 10lbs

Maintenance it would appear, 3000 cals this week.

I'm starting a new job with different training times so I was tempted to stay @ 2750 cals to create less variables but sod it.

Never having been in your position before, I would encourage you to "just sod it" because you've proven you have the will, motivation and ability to lose weight in an exceptional manner, so... :D

Good work on the new job, too!

22-07-13

87.5kg/13st 11lbs

Rejoice!

1lb gain this week :D

Sticking to 3000 calories and see how it goes, probably end up losing 3 lbs this week or something silly :p

PHAT training going well but I need to push harder in the gym!

29-07-13

88.45kg/13st 13lbs

+2lb....bit much for my liking so I may take it down a notch to 2900 calories if I get a similar gain this week.

Although I've been training for ~2 years now, this is the first time I've tried to put on size so taking that into account is +2lb still too much?

Well done so far mucker, what calories are you on now 3000?
I can't say if 2 pounds a week is too much or not as I'm only just bulking first time myself.
Dropping cals by a 100 for another week sounds like q good ideas though if you think you're gaining too fast.

I'm roughly same weight as you 88kg this morning after bulking back up from 85 but gaming too fast so cutting cals by 500.

Yeah mate 3000 cals.

Carbs still mostly PWO with 125g on PHAT power days (complex carbs). Then on rest days it tends to be 75g carbs and on PHAT hypertrophy days I have bigger simple carb feeds PWO to give around 250g give or take.

Fats always around 150g and protein around 250g.

Will keep it consistent this week again and see what the scales say on Monday!

If you're gaining the best part of 1KG a week do the math over a year ;) Perhaps continue it for another week and see if it is a constant steady gain. I'd probably tailor it back a bit, nearer to 2800 on average and it'll give you leeway to have the occasional treat or larger portion here and there.

I cycle between 2300 / 2800 (roughly) with protein consistent throughout. Around 70/80g fat on off days + 100g carbs. 40/50g fat and 300g carbs on training days. This is seeing me a small loss over the last week, bulked a bit to strong (3500 on training days :eek:) so once I've undone the damage I'll bring myoff day up to 2500.

Last edited:
Looking back at MFP I actually averaged 2800 on the week I gained 1lb, so that sounds about right.

Last week was 2900 average so may have just pushed me over.

Will adjust to 2800 this week and should yield greatness :p

It varies between individuals, when you're younger and still growing it can be faster (also, noob gains) and obviously the more advanced a lifter you are, the slower the gains become due to diminishing returns/reaching your natural limits, but for a fully grown male 9-12 lbs in a year is probably a realistic number for lean mass gains. 2lbs a month is achievable if you have superior genetics, and diet/training is spot on but that's not most people.

Doesn't sound like much, but it's probably better to be conservative and bulk slowly so fat gains are minimised and you don't have to spend as much time cutting back down at the end of the bulk - after all,
a) most people would prefer to look good all year round
b) better to spend 9-10 months bulking without too much fat gain and only have to cut for 2-3 months to get back to your leanest than put on a load of fat on that will take a lot longer to remove (and you won't want to lose that lean mass you built by dieting too heavily).

/armchairinternetexpert

Agreed!

To geek out further I think this should work better:

2800 cals on the 2 power days
2500 cals on the 2 rest days
3000 cals on the 3 HT days

Averages at 2800 :D

Will keep manipulating my carbs to suit PWO too...

Just seems crazy to eat the same amount of cals on 2 days where expenditure is massively different!

05-08-13

13st 13lbs 2oz

Can't remember how many ounces I was last week but if I am doing this slowly I need to start taking them into account.

Averages last week - 2810 calories, 30p/50f/20c split.

Will do the same this week :)

12-08-13

14st 0lbs 8oz

Averaged 2750 calories last week so from a calories in vs calories out perspective this makes no sense.

But I've been immensely stressed at work and generally feeling utterly awful so that probably has a huge part time play.

Regardless, its still too much to gain in a week so I will knock it back a bit to 2800 calories on training days and 2500 on rest days.

Back
Top Bottom