Max's Training Log - 1 Year On

19-08-13

14st 0lbs 2oz

Averaged about 2800 calories but massively reduced my stress. Cortisol is more important than we realise :p

Will stick to it this week and see how it goes, but I feel much better in myself so that can only be a good thing.

Tomorrow indicates my 9th week on PHAT, so approaching the 12 week recommendation.

As size and strength are my focus now, would you say something like 5/3/1 or re-visit 5x5 would suit me?

I like training 4-5 days a week though but SL can be pretty demanding so the rest days might be welcomed.

26-8-13

14 stone 1 lb 2oz

~2750 calorie average again, possibly a higher exercise expenditure and I go from losing 4oz to gaining a 1lb. All marginal but interesting to see the fluctuation given I have so many fixed factors...

I think my average gaining is still just about on the OK side of things, if I get another 1lb up next week I will knock it down slightly.

02-09-13

14 stone 1 lb 2 oz

~2650 calories last week.

100 calories per day down from last week (unintentionally), will see how it goes again this week but after the 1lb gain last week I'm content with this week.

On to my final 2 weeks of PHAT, quite enjoyed the programme and my main lifts have all gone up.

Onto 5/3/1 after that, really looking forward to it.

Counting down the days till 5/3/1 as I will be down the gym earlier so no waiting for the squat rack!

After some bad news from the GP I am re-assessing my diet and doing a 10 day "prep" phase of low carb and after that I will introduce a carb refeed once a week.

If I am talking crap please tell me :p

I can't recall (as I don't follow your log that closely) what your goals are at the moment?

I'd just be a bit weary about using CNS without aiming for fairly rapid weightloss as unless I'm mistaken it's aimed at those coming from a high (think 20+%) bodyfat.

I'm not sure how combining CNS with 5/3/1 will fare for you.

What's your planned daily carb in take?

I still think my body fat is nearer the 20% mark, I think I need to lose fat not strict weight.

CNS would appear to allow to be very low carb most of the time then refill carbs from a performance and probably mental well being standpoint.

I have been bulking for about 10 weeks which is no time but I just can't see how am I ready for that given how I currently look.

I think a bout of CNS may help me get to where I want to be then just stick to maintenance for a while...but still staying low carb as I need to.

Carbs are at 30g net with about 20 more from fiber which from what I've read, Kiefer says is ok.

Refeeds will begin at 200g and if that is not enough then I will introduce 2x refeeds a week which is more leaning towards CKD I believe.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
200g won't be enough is my only thought ;). Think about it, 200g to last a week, would you normally only have 200/6 = 33g a day on a non carb cycling diet? No sir, I think you need to be aiming closer to 500g at least and spread it across a day or maybe 18 hour period.

FWIW my carb night last week (Friday) was about 400g carbs, 100 protein and 90g fat. In one meal. I also had about 250g carbs for lunch Saturday. I felt like I was 'running low' glycogen wise by Wednesday, and I don't do especially draining workouts :p.

Ofcourse wait and see how you do, I look forward to your results either way.

See this is where I think I will have issues given my diabetic tendencies...

I think 300g would be fine from 2pm to 10pm for example though.

It's a case of what works either a few carbs spread throughout the week or one hit.

Any other approaches I could look at?

Are you T1 or T2 btw? Over time the longer you stick to low carb your insulin sensitivity/resistance should improve in theory, so you may find the carb load you can take gets better. I don't know the specifics well enough to say for sure though.

Other than that, maybe carb cycling isn't for you and you're better on a normal IIFYM cut. The only reason I changed to carb cycling is because I need to appease my inner fat ******* and gorge once a week, otherwise I just go crazy and lose all motivation.

Technically neither "now" but I was labelled T2, but that was mainly due to my weight (I hope), so in a way I don't want to push my luck and over step it.

It has improved to the point, as I say im not considered T2 anymore...

I have a HUGE inner fatness so the gorge is something I feel I need :p

I still think my body fat is nearer the 20% mark, I think I need to lose fat not strict weight.

CNS would appear to allow to be very low carb most of the time then refill carbs from a performance and probably mental well being standpoint.

I have been bulking for about 10 weeks which is no time but I just can't see how am I ready for that given how I currently look.

I think a bout of CNS may help me get to where I want to be then just stick to maintenance for a while...but still staying low carb as I need to.

Carbs are at 30g net with about 20 more from fiber which from what I've read, Kiefer says is ok.

Refeeds will begin at 200g and if that is not enough then I will introduce 2x refeeds a week which is more leaning towards CKD I believe.

Thoughts?

I'd aim higher as you'll probably be pretty depleted. I don't know if you've gone so low consistently before, without a proper refeed falling off the wagon might be quite easy.

Whatever works for you is the right option. Have you thought about going for a steady recomp? it'd still allow you to train and make gains and lean you up without being horrific in the process. 5/3/1 on 30g carbs a day does sound grim.

Personally fasting suits me well, former fatty. I have the discipline to last the fast and feel much more satisfied eating in a smaller window.

You could just try changing your meal times and see if that has any effect? Shortening your eating window in effect.

Last edited:
I've gone very low carb before yeah and handled it ok.

My first carb nite falls under when I'm on holiday in France so hitting the carbs won't be hard, I will just monitor my glucose.

Is a recomp a maintenance diet?

Last time I tried fasting I felt awful in the morning but could give it another go.

Is it bad i just like huge meals lol

How long would you recommend trying CNS for? I'm on holiday mid November and staying that low carb whilst on holiday would be nigh on impossible...

Is it worth it for that amount of time to see how I handle it? (bear in mind I would probably like a week or so spare to creep the carbs back in slowly for holiday).

Other option of course is to use this prep week as the CBL prep instead?

CBL may work better with 5/3/1 too, allowing for 4 backloads a week of around 150g carbs and < 30g the other days.

I am probably coming across like a right picky ****** but I find it interesting looking at all the possibilities!

09-09-13

14 stone 0 lbs 11 oz / 89.2kg

~2600 calories and 30g carbs towards the back end of the week for the prep phase.

Day 5 on the prep phase now, feeling good and training hasn't been affected yet.

I'm now finished with P.H.A.T, enjoyed the program overall, fitted really well with my life at the time and my big lifts have all gone up and form has improved massively due to the focus on HT days.

This week training wise is a bit of a deload/focusing on getting my dead lifting spot on and just a mixture of training with no particular direction....that starts on Sunday :D

Will make a post on Sunday with my 5/3/1 stats :)

Looks like you've gone for CBL over CNS judging by the goup unless I've misread?

Unless I'm mistaken CBL does still included a fast, at least it did when I was doing it! I found CBL tougher than IF alone as, whilst I really don't rely on carbs, eating them all very late in the day can become a bit of a struggle, especially when in a deficit.

Yeah CBL (at the moment lol) so I'm not diving straight into a mega feed as per CNS.

Kiefer recommends either skipping breakfast or just pushing it back 2 or so hours after waking. I get up at 5:30 or 6 usually so will just have breakfast at 8ish.

I'm eating at maintenance (2500) and doing feeds of around 150-200g, will see how it goes.

Edit: I am overcomplicating things here, ignore.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom