• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Melted CableMod 4090 90 degree adapter

Random black screening while trying to play tonight , followed by a distinct smell of burning plastic ... yep another 90 deg adapter melted in a 4090 :mad: I've reached out to Cablemod as want this card repaired rather than a replacement:rolleyes: check those adapters and cables people ,checked mine once a month and was always firmly pressed home ....

20230906-224416.jpg

20230906-224430.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I would not be using any adapter at all. It's either PSU manufacturer direct from PSU to HPWR cable or nothing.
Gigabyte replied to my email asking if a PSU cable, made by the PSU manufacturer, (Superflower in this case) would void the warranty and they said:

"Dear Customer,

If this cable for some reason causes a burnout on the connector, we would have to inspect what the cause is before deciding if we’re voiding or continuing to allow warranty service."

This makes it sound like nothing other than the ugly adapter guarantees warranty coverage.

That's tee thing, not seen a Corsair/Seasonic/Superflower etc direct cable melting, the tolerance for any gaps in the connector at the pin level are so precise it seems so little to no chance of resistance/heat/melting.

The bundled nvidia adapter is an abomination, up to 4 outlets on that single thin tiny connector, of which there are two variations in circulation too. No wonder those melt anyway with the slightest bit of loosening over time.

That's tee thing, not seen a Corsair/Seasonic/Superflower etc direct cable melting, the tolerance for any gaps in the connector at the pin level are so precise it seems so little to no chance of resistance/heat/melting.

The bundled nvidia adapter is an abomination, up to 4 outlets on that single thin tiny connector, of which there are two variations in circulation too. No wonder those melt anyway with the slightest bit of loosening over time.
It's a matter of warranty though.

If Cablemod would streamline their process so that using their parts gets you a warranty with them such that a burned connector gets you an RMA to a repair shop they approve and pay for *without having to get denied by the manufacturer first*, I would use their 4-to-1 cable.

I don't want to send my card two different places if the connector melts. If a PSU cable melts, it will complicate things because the Gigabyte seems to be looking for any excuse not to cover the connector.

Random black screening while trying to play tonight , followed by a distinct smell of burning plastic ... yep another 90 deg adapter melted in a 4090 :mad: I've reached out to Cablemod as want this card repaired rather than a replacement:rolleyes: check those adapters and cables people ,checked mine once a month and was always firmly pressed home ....

20230906-224416.jpg

20230906-224430.jpg
Sorry to hear that mate, get in touch with CableMod support and they will help you out, Asus were pretty much useless for me but you may have more luck with your AIB, worth a try.
My TUF 4090 will probably be going on Ebay once it's repaired, still waiting for the company to fix atm.
Been doing some research on the 7900xtx while I'm waiting, and I'm about 90% sure I'm switching over to AMD, not going through all this again in a year or so.

Best of luck mate, let us know how you get on

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that mate, get in touch with CableMod support and they will help you out, Asus were pretty much useless for me but you may have more luck with your AIB, worth a try.
My TUF 4090 will probably be going on Ebay once it's repaired, still waiting for the company to fix atm.
Been doing some research on the 7900xtx while I'm waiting, and I'm about 90% sure I'm switching over to AMD, not going through all this again in a year or so.

Best of luck mate, let us know how you get on

I have sent them an email tonight along with pics so hopefully they will get back to me sharpish , as i mentioned above i actually want this GPU repaired and returned ( brilliant oc card :cry: ) and not after a replacement so hopefully they offer to pay for the repair which i will be happy to accept. It is actually an FE card albeit in a EK Active water block ( which now has a nice burn mark ) , i could contact Nvidia and possibly get a warranty replacement if needed but would mean i don't get this card back so want to avoid that . Have Cablemod recommended a place to send it to repair in the Uk and if so who ? I was thinking of sending it to Krisfix in Germany to fit a new Power connector which looks like it will be around the £200 figure if i get stuck ....

Will keep post in this thread any updates i get etc :)

Whoever in Nvidia designed that connector needs firing.

They shoulda stuck with the tried and tested 8 pins, they likely could have but 3 8 pins screams power hog. I wonder how much of that played a factor, they possibly didn't like the aesthetics of 3 8 pins, or was it more work to incorporate 3 of them onto that size of a pcb. Regardless, switching to what they did was dumb.

I have sent them an email tonight along with pics so hopefully they will get back to me sharpish , as i mentioned above i actually want this GPU repaired and returned ( brilliant oc card :cry: ) and not after a replacement so hopefully they offer to pay for the repair which i will be happy to accept. It is actually an FE card albeit in a EK Active water block ( which now has a nice burn mark ) , i could contact Nvidia and possibly get a warranty replacement if needed but would mean i don't get this card back so want to avoid that . Have Cablemod recommended a place to send it to repair in the Uk and if so who ? I was thinking of sending it to Krisfix in Germany to fit a new Power connector which looks like it will be around the £200 figure if i get stuck ....

Will keep post in this thread any updates i get etc :)
Yeah CableMod recommended Krisfix but I didn't fancy sending my card overseas tbh.
Sent mine to B-Hawk Gaming based here in UK, very good reputation and obviously costs less for shipping, They did say they are pretty busy right now, up to 2 weeks for turnaround.
Very reasonable price also, around £120 including postage back I've been quoted.
Fingers crossed they get to mine soon

I think there are a few other places here in UK who can do the job as well but Krisfix is probably going to be the quickest turnaround, especially if you pay for expedited service etc.

Best of luck with it all anyway mate, and I'll post back here once my card is back

Has there been any reports of PSU, direct 12VHPWR cables causing issues?

Have a Cooler Master MWE Gold V2 1250W and am using the cable that came with that PSU, and wondering if I should be checking it's pushed in fully every few days or i'm over thinking things?
The native 12VHPWR can also melt , apparently happened to a few users already as per this link and a few others I have seen ... https://www.thefpsreview.com/2022/1...er-connectors-melting-have-now-been-reported/

The issue is the connector itself on the card not people incorrectly plugging them in , I made sure as hell mine was pushed home knowing all about this issue before it finally happened to mine but still ended up melting :o Also the issue seems to just effect 4090 , doesn't seem an issue on 4080 and below which doesn't pull as much power.

Last edited:
I personally don't trust th Nvidia cable. That many strands going into such a small connector is bound to loosen over time and melt if unlucky. Way too bulky Vs the PSU supplier thick cables and stiffer plugs. Plus only two PSU outputs going into the 1 HPWR GPU connector.

If in doubt, power limit your 4090 :p

Can't melt if it's only drawing 360 watts max at the cost of 4fps average lol compared to stock.

I'm surprised more people don't do this tbh as the card is so powerful anyway but we know what people are like with clearing every frame out of the cards, even though nothing else can touch it at 80% power limit anyway let alone stock.

Anyways I've had my Corsair cable installed since day 1, all good.

Last edited:
I personally don't trust th Nvidia cable. That many strands going into such a small connector is bound to loosen over time and melt if unlucky. Way too bulky Vs the PSU supplier thick cables and stiffer plugs. Plus only two PSU outputs going into the 1 HPWR GPU connector.

If in doubt, power limit your 4090 :p

Can't melt if it's only drawing 360 watts max at the cost of 4fps average lol compared to stock.

I'm surprised more people don't do this tbh as the card is so powerful anyway but we know what people are like with clearing every frame out of the cards, even though nothing else can touch it at 80% power limit anyway let alone stock.

Anyways I've had my Corsair cable installed since day 1, all good.

I really only play Counter Strike at 1440p so tbh i'll probably fine, waste of a 4090 but it looks nice in my case :cry:

• Wow
Reactions: mrk
Got a reply from Cablemod today asking for more pics and invoices for GPU and adapter which i have forwarded on to them so hopefully get a quick turn around on this. I have explained to them i don't want a replacement and just want it repaired so will see what they say and will let you know in this thread . As i was taking more pic of the adapter for them i noticed another burn/melt mark next to the sense pins ...
Time to strip down the PC and get the GPU out ... not something i initially had planned for this week :rolleyes:

20230907-140541.jpg

Back
Top Bottom