• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Melted CableMod 4090 90 degree adapter

The UK company have said they've repaired a lot of these already, had over 20 4090's in last month alone, all using a wide variety of cables and all failed on the same row of bottom pins melting, I don't think this issue is as rare as Nvidia would like people to believe.
Oof, that's a fair few from one company!!! Bit shocking really...

Asus voiding the warranty for using a third party power adapter leaves a real sour taste in my mouth. Where do they draw the line? Do they have a list of approved PSU vendors? Would a set of Corsair braided cables void the warranty? That all just feels wrong to me.

Have to agree. Particularly when the supplied dongle won't allow safe installation in many cases (i.e. not angled or bent close to the connector).

Also seems to contradict the approach that Nvidia said they and their partners would take with melting related RMAs.Whilst they don't specifically mention adapters I imagine that's because there weren't any on the market at the time.

ASUS being ASUS I guess.

Last edited:
Asus voiding the warranty for using a third party power adapter leaves a real sour taste in my mouth. Where do they draw the line? Do they have a list of approved PSU vendors? Would a set of Corsair braided cables void the warranty? That all just feels wrong to me.

They’ve lost a lot of customers with this behaviour.

It won't just be Asus as I suspect that all the manufacturers will be the same. You are probably only going to be covered by warranty if you use the awful supplied adaptors that come with the GPU. Perhaps if they made the adaptors longer and not so ugly looking more people would use them. At the end of the day this mess is entirely Nvidia's fault for using such a tiny connector and expecting up to 600w to go through it. It's not even a good fit. I have seen video's with the connector supposedly securely locked down and it's really loose in the socket which I suspect is behind all of this nonsense. They need to drop it entirely or at least go back to the drawing board and design a more substantial connector. We have had multiple pci-e connectors on cards for ages and have not seen any problems like these so why change things? It's not as if it's a change for the better.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I've decided to send the GPU to a repair company here in the UK, CableMod did recommend Krisfix in Germany but would probably take twice as long and not too comfortable sending my GPU on a tour of Europe tbh lol.
The UK company have said they've repaired a lot of these already, had over 20 4090's in last month alone, all using a wide variety of cables and all failed on the same row of bottom pins melting, I don't think this issue is as rare as Nvidia would like people to believe.

I don't hold Asus accountable, they are working on slim profit margins and they are within their rights to void warranty with 3rd party cables much like all the other companies do. It's completely shocking from Nvidia, every single one of these things should be recalled and fixed.

When a fairly small GPU repair company says "Oh another one" over the phone when you tell them the problem, then it's not exactly a rare issue is it.

If Nvidia are still using this connector on the 50 series cards then I'll be using AMD from now on
That the "it's all user error" excuse it s so common on various forums is really crazy.

On the assumption that Nvidia marketing no longer run a bunch of forum users, then the only explanation is that we are dealing with a cult of some kind.

The Cult That Jobs Built gave us "you are holding it wrong", now the Cult That Jensen Built gives us "you have inserted it wrong". In both cases the infallible cult corporation is off the hook!

Yeah, the connector on my 4080 does not click audibly and even when giving a good push it never feels secure. I’ve only been building PC for over 30 years, so what would I know. The power connector feels flimsy but definitely user error.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
So I have a question on this.

I currently have a 40 series Asus card, but also have a new ATX 3.0 Asus PSU, so it has the new single GPU cable.

If I had a similar issue, would you expect Asus to also negate the warranty, because I had not used the supplied GPU power cable?
That's the big question here and given the modular nature of PCs it seems wrong that the adapter you use can invalidate a warranty. As long as you're not being wilfully negligent I don't see why it should matter.

According to the guy at Asus I spoke to the only power cable covered under manufacturer's warranty is the 4x8 pin to 12vhpwr cable included in the box, anything else is considered aftermarket.
Crazy really, but I guess they are just covering their own backs.
Nvidia should be doing a lot more really, it's their **** up after all

I don't hold Asus accountable, they are working on slim profit margins and they are within their rights to void warranty with 3rd party cables much like all the other companies do. It's completely shocking from Nvidia, every single one of these things should be recalled and fixed.
Fair play, mate.

I've read some outrageous statements in this thread and this offers the most realistic and sensible view on the situation.

In no way should Asus be on the hook for this.

Cablemod, maybe. Depends on what they claim the product will do /not do.

Nvidia, totally. From the moment these faults started to appear they should have started looking in to preventing more occurrences.

But nopes, stonks go brrrrrr.

I decided to send an email and ask Gigabyte (My card is Gigabyte) if the Super Flower cable, offered by Super Flower for my Super Flower PSU, would void the warranty. They responded in less than an hour:

"Dear Customer,

If this cable for some reason causes a burnout on the connector, we would have to inspect what the cause is before deciding if we’re voiding or continuing to allow warranty service.

Best Regards,"

Feeding this into my corporate-to-plain-English translator, I get:

"Dear Customer,

If your card burns we will look for an excuse to deny your warranty and this cable will help us in that endeavor. You, however, will be screwed.

Fully star out swearies!

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to send an email and ask Gigabyte (My card is Gigabyte) if the Super Flower cable, offered by Super Flower for my Super Flower PSU, would void the warranty. They responded in less than an hour:

"Dear Customer,

If this cable for some reason causes a burnout on the connector, we would have to inspect what the cause is before deciding if we’re voiding or continuing to allow warranty service.

Best Regards,"
weasel_words.png

Fair play, mate.

I've read some outrageous statements in this thread and this offers the most realistic and sensible view on the situation.

In no way should Asus be on the hook for this.

I'd say this is the most outrageous I've seen yet. Any company telling me I can't use the provided with my PSU can get ****!

Other AIB's may be taking the same approach with the melting 4090s but ASUS have been using similar practices for years to weasel their way out of honouring warranties and coming up with ways to blame the customer for reasons why their over priced poor quality product has failed.

Back
Top Bottom