• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Melted CableMod 4090 90 degree adapter

One thing you don't seem to be getting. If Asus are running a promotion with Cablemod then they are promoting the using of their cables. Surely if they are promoting the use of the cables then they need to accept some responsibility.
Good luck with that.

Wonder if this promotion was brought by the warranty department: if we get enough people on this discount we can deny even more warranty claims than usually (and Asus are infamous for denying warranty all the time).

Last edited:
I personally don't trust th Nvidia cable. That many strands going into such a small connector is bound to loosen over time and melt if unlucky. Way too bulky Vs the PSU supplier thick cables and stiffer plugs. Plus only two PSU outputs going into the 1 HPWR GPU connector.

If in doubt, power limit your 4090 :p

Can't melt if it's only drawing 360 watts max at the cost of 4fps average lol compared to stock.

I'm surprised more people don't do this tbh as the card is so powerful anyway but we know what people are like with clearing every frame out of the cards, even though nothing else can touch it at 80% power limit anyway let alone stock.

Anyways I've had my Corsair cable installed since day 1, all good.

Im using a native cable direct from my ATX3.0 Asus Loki PSU.

Interestingly, would Asus void the warranty on a Asus card powered by a Asus PSU? :cry:, how would they even get around that to say its not covered.

Got a reply from Cablemod today asking for more pics and invoices for GPU and adapter which i have forwarded on to them so hopefully get a quick turn around on this. I have explained to them i don't want a replacement and just want it repaired so will see what they say and will let you know in this thread . As i was taking more pic of the adapter for them i noticed another burn/melt mark next to the sense pins ...
Time to strip down the PC and get the GPU out ... not something i initially had planned for this week :rolleyes:

20230907-140541.jpg

Man i hope thats not a burn mark from the pcb. Has to be quite abit of heat to scorch it like that.

Good luck with that.

Wonder if this promotion was brought by the warranty department: if we get enough people on this discount we can deny even more warranty claims than usually (and Asus are infamous for denying warranty all the time).
It really wouldn't surprise me, offering 20% off an adapter is a lot cheaper than replacing multiple 4090 :p
One thing i learnt many years ago is don't buy Asus if you value your warranty.

Last edited:
Man i hope thats not a burn mark from the pcb. Has to be quite abit of heat to scorch it like that.
I have removed the card now and the PCB itself looks ok with no burn marks BUT the acrylic EK block has burn marks on the top as can be seen in the pics above and underneath the socket , can even see its fully seated home albeit now stuck :cry:

20230907-163612.jpg

20230907-163421.jpg

Whoever in Nvidia designed that connector needs firing.

Intel

Intel designed it not Nvidia

"Intel has published the most significant update to industry power supply specifications since the initial ATX 2.0 specs were introduced in 2003. Updated ATX 3.0 specifications unlock the full power and potential of next-generation hardware and upcoming components built for technologies like PCIe Gen 5.0. Intel has also revised its ATX12VO spec

specifications include:

• A new 12VHPWR connector will power most, if not all, future PCIe 5.0 desktop Add-in cards (e.g., graphics cards). This new connector provides up to 600 watts directly to any PCIe 5.0 Add-in/graphics card. It also includes sideband signals that will allow the power supply to communicate the power limit it can provide to any PCIe 5.0 graphic card"

Last edited:
Emailed KrisFix in Germany this morning about repair and they said the are in a partnership with Cablemod and need to wait for them to get back to me which i am currently waiting for... decided to dismantle the card to see exactly what has gone wrong and it seems the socket has mainly melted from behind which has then made the adapter get stuck in place , can also clearly see it was pushed all the way home and would not go any tighter yet still melted , the PCB seems ok with no burn marks on it just the plug .

Edit: I have just received an Email back from Cablemod saying 2 options which are return card to Nvidia for RMA or they will pay for the repair at KrisFix. I have accepted the repair so will get it sent off for Monday.

20230908-122658.jpg

20230908-122754.jpg

Last edited:
Emailed KrisFix in Germany this morning about repair and they said the are in a partnership with Cablemod and need to wait for them to get back to me which i am currently waiting for... decided to dismantle the card to see exactly what has gone wrong and it seems the socket has mainly melted from behind which has then made the adapter get stuck in place , can also clearly see it was pushed all the way home and would not go any tighter yet still melted , the PCB seems ok with no burn marks on it just the plug .

Edit: I have just received an Email back from Cablemod saying 2 options which are return card to Nvidia for RMA or they will pay for the repair at KrisFix. I have accepted the repair so will get it sent off for Monday.

20230908-122658.jpg

20230908-122754.jpg
I had an update from B-Hawk Gaming about my 4090 yesterday, he's managed to remove the adapter and is now awaiting delivery of the new connector so he can remove the burnt one and solder on the new part. There's been a delay on the shipment of the connectors apparently so it's taken a bit longer than he initially thought.
It's a fairly quick process he's assured me so once the new socket is delivered it should be be back with me the next day.
Thankfully there is no burn damage to the rest of my card either, some aren't so lucky I hear.

Hope you hear back from Krisfix soon mate

I just checked my cablemod 180 degree adaptor to find one of the adaptor pins slightly melted. ugh
I run a strix 4090 oc undervolted and power set to 70% . The cards connector seems fine so must have caught it in time.
Bye bye adaptor.
I'm glad I never really bothered with this angled cablemod adapter, it's been a disaster.

The Nvidia one was fine for me, my original cablemod one also fine and I've since upgraded to the official Silverstone one for my PSU and it's been fine too. *Touch wood*

Ive just taken out my cablemod 3x8 pin braided cable and put the Nvidia octopuss mess back in. So if it melts hopefully im covered. Its a shame cos ive had no bother with this cable although its a replacement as first cable was causing black screen fan 100% spin. But i cant take the chance.

20230908-122658.jpg

20230908-122754.jpg

Gonna keep an eye out on his channel, see if he features it! Would be interesting to see the repair process take place.

I also follow that northridge guy as well who fixes gpu's. Such talented people!

Man this whole saga is insane for such an expensive product. I hope you get it fixed soon.

I absolutely hate the fact that my mega stupid expensive GPU has such a stupid connection.

There has to be a better way than this moving forwards. I would love to think we can get rid of connections completely and move to more power through the board.

Man this whole saga is insane for such an expensive product. I hope you get it fixed soon.

I absolutely hate the fact that my mega stupid expensive GPU has such a stupid connection.

There has to be a better way than this moving forwards. I would love to think we can get rid of connections completely and move to more power through the board.

It does make me a little cautious of mine, but the rig is sat right next to me so i'd probs smell it long before it does any serious damage... fingers crossed it never happens though.

I thought Nvidia changed the design of the adapter cable or the GPU connector with a recent revision?
They did, but that does nothing for those already out in the wild. I guess repaired cards could start getting the new connector.

Still, the new connector looks like it will just substitute catastrophic failure for inconvenience. -A huge improvement, but still not as reliable as the old connector. The old PCIe connectors took up more space, but they also had a much larger margin for error.

Gonna keep an eye out on his channel, see if he features it! Would be interesting to see the repair process take place.

I also follow that northridge guy as well who fixes gpu's. Such talented people!
It would be good to see it repaired on a YouTube video BUT i doubt this will happen for a couple of reasons which are i have opted for express service so it jumps the que and gets worked on when it arrives ( tomorrow ) as a priority job and secondly they are the authorised repair place for Cablemod failures in Europe/UK so doubt he will have a video up saying Cablemod adapter melted as probably got some contract to say just repair the cards we send in do not feature them online :cry: (don't bite the hand that feeds you ;) ). But yep Kris is a Wizard with the GPU repairs and happy he is fixing it although in reality its a very very simple job with just a plug being resoldered on , no need for him to lift the GPU and reball it :D

Alex from Northridge Fix is very good as well and i watch both their channels , always interesting ... Northridge Fix are the US people for repairing the Cablemod failures and he did actually feature the 1st one he got but had none since for probably the same reason as Kris being in a partnership with CM from that point on ...

I just checked my cablemod 180 degree adaptor to find one of the adaptor pins slightly melted. ugh
I run a strix 4090 oc undervolted and power set to 70% . The cards connector seems fine so must have caught it in time.
Bye bye adaptor.
Contact Cablemod they will offer you a free repair if any damage to the plug and they will also refund you for the adapter .

Back
Top Bottom