Men of War

Zip, it depends on the mission. Normally on the maps you get a pre-defined number of units which you have to complete the mission with.

On others, as time progresses you get reinforcement points and when you gain say 30 reinforcement points you can then ask for a Artillery gun.

Other times you get Zero reinforcements and 4 men to work with.
in some aspects it is like CoH.

It gets a decent review in this months PCGAMER (I wont spoil the score for anyone) here is a snippet:

"Its often too hard, and a little too obscure, and will be off-putting for people expecting professional voice acting and americanised accessibility"

"This is a virtuoso display of strategy game creation, and a splendid experiance for gamers with a modicum of patience"

Some good with the bad then. I havnt got the game yet so i cant comment. Sound about right to you guys?

snippet:

Sound about right to you guys?

Yep, voice acting is so bad, GFX could have done with a little more polish. It is a bit anoying when you hammer a tank with 4-5 shells and he just blows you up with 1 :( The mission objectives are a little vage and on some levels you do have to look after a lot of troops which can be a bit frustrating. but over all for what it is, its a good game and well worth the price.

Walk right around the map, down the right side under the large rock formation, forget the the front and rear gate as there's a sneaky rear entry.

Look at your objectives and double click the binoculars, it'll show you on the map where to go, there's a fence that you cut to get in (cut scene).

Cheers - got it! Moved the camera and saw there was a rock formation I could crawl under. Snuck down the left side of the map to the abandoned house and got a cut scene telling me where to go next...

Really enjoyed this game, big fan of CoH and this just takes things to another level, some of the missions were as frustrating as Commandos.. had like 30 different saves on them hah (last russian mission comes to mind!)

Bonus mission you get once you complete are pretty cool aswell, easily the best SP for a strategy game i'v played in long time.

I really need to get back on this.

After another failed attempt at the Russian 2nd mission i decided to leave it alone in a huff.

Might give it another go tonight.

After another failed attempt at the Russian 2nd mission i decided to leave it alone in a huff.

I did the second russian mission first go, it was on easy mind.

I just fell back progressively as the map went on, trying not to lose my anti-tank guns until the bitter end.

Zip, it depends on the mission. Normally on the maps you get a pre-defined number of units which you have to complete the mission with.

On others, as time progresses you get reinforcement points and when you gain say 30 reinforcement points you can then ask for a Artillery gun.

Other times you get Zero reinforcements and 4 men to work with.
in some aspects it is like CoH.

Sounds a bit like World in Conflict ?

I did it first time but it was a touch and go. Once you find where the germans come from you can set up your artilary acordingly. I used my men a lot in hit and run missions on tanks using there AT-nades and also moving them back into cover when i find them just lying in the road shooting.

If you posistion your artilary on an angle to the on coming tanks then it works a lot better but make sure there far enough back that your men agro the tank enough to not shoot them first.

I take it all back, I was given this game for my birthday a couple of days ago and its fan-bloody-tastic! Some of the missions are epic, its like CoH on Steroids!

It even has the 'Made by two men in a tin shed' charm to it, that ive not felt since playing hidden and dangerous. :D

Last edited:
Apologies for the necro, but due to the Steam addition of this game, I think it is warranted, as I am sure there will be an influx due to the Steam deal last week.

What a fantastic game! Cobra-UK, I hope you eventually got past that mission :P

Anyone still playing this? Picked it up on Steam for £3.24 earlier in the week. Enjoying it so far but missing the option to just play a skirmish game with the AI :(

I stopped playing it because some of the later missions are really hard. I think I got to a mission with a submarine. Continually restarting the same mission because you dont know what to do next is no fun :(

I also picked this up over the weekend from Steam. How the hell did I miss this little gem of an rts?
It feels like CoH on a bigger scale (single-player) but with more detailed control of your troops. I like the inventory feature, so that each soldier can pick up fallen troops ammo. Good tip is to rob the machine gun off a destroyed tank, this nails the enemy quickly.
I am playing this game as a rpg/rts style, caring about a handful of troops while sacrificing the least experienced or poor fitted troops.
Remember, your are russian, so you can easily afford to throw large numbers as fodder in your attacks.
My favourite mission is the Seelow Heights day assault - get your infantry to charge the trenches, take over the AT guns and turn them against the enemy. Push your snipers ahead to the hills and pick off the mortar & artillery troops. Tehn push forward light tanks and infantry, storm the mortar and artillery positions and blast them back to hell.
Really enjoying this game.

Back
Top Bottom