Mercedes Benz and AMG Owners

Man of Honour
Had a good look at the new E Class Saloon the other day.

The interior is really quite excellent, it's much more S Class than C Class. The only downside is quite a few of the nice toys aren't standard, such as the widescreen cockpit (admittedly not everyone wants digital clocks, but they look really good, and blend into the large centre screen nicely). It's also built in, to a degree, so no more dodgy iPad stuck to the dash, like in most of the other cars.

I think you could call the exterior a little boring, it's much like a squarer C Class, but with the 20" wheels and AMG trim, it looks rather smart.

Soldato
Had a good look at the new E Class Saloon the other day.

The interior is really quite excellent, it's much more S Class than C Class. The only downside is quite a few of the nice toys aren't standard, such as the widescreen cockpit (admittedly not everyone wants digital clocks, but they look really good, and blend into the large centre screen nicely). It's also built in, to a degree, so no more dodgy iPad stuck to the dash, like in most of the other cars.

I think you could call the exterior a little boring, it's much like a squarer C Class, but with the 20" wheels and AMG trim, it looks rather smart.

I have yet to see one in the metal, but on paper it has gone onto my list as a possible replacement for my CLS, when it hits 2yrs+ in December. When my local dealer gets a nice 350 in, will be trundling down for a nose!

Man of Honour
I have yet to see one in the metal, but on paper it has gone onto my list as a possible replacement for my CLS, when it hits 2yrs+ in December. When my local dealer gets a nice 350 in, will be trundling down for a nose!

I'd say without doubt the interior is a step up from the CLS, depending on trim it's really quite unusual. If you have the widescreen cockpit, when the car is idle, it looks like you're sat in space looking at the earth through the rev counter. Really quite weird but very cool.

The dealer have offered me their E220d all of next week, so can have a good play with it then.

Soldato
I'd say without doubt the interior is a step up from the CLS, depending on trim it's really quite unusual. If you have the widescreen cockpit, when the car is idle, it looks like you're sat in space looking at the earth through the rev counter. Really quite weird but very cool.

The dealer have offered me their E220d all of next week, so can have a good play with it then.

Good stuff, look forward to hearing how you got on with it. TBH, I am 6 months+ from changing anyway, but that would give the new E time to 'bed in' in relation to niggles/foibles of new car and, as importantly, price. From what I have looked at, will be >£50k to spec as I would like :eek: Need DtD to come to the rescue :p

Man of Honour
My SLK55 is going to Mercedes Watford hopefully this week to fix one of the exhaust flaps that is stuck (I guess it is meant to be even louder!).

What to test drive on the day? A45, new SLC (although probably not the 43) or an E63. Decisions decisions :)

Man of Honour
My SLK55 is going to Mercedes Watford hopefully this week to fix one of the exhaust flaps that is stuck (I guess it is meant to be even louder!).

What to test drive on the day? A45, new SLC (although probably not the 43) or an E63. Decisions decisions :)

You'll get an A180 CDI after the good stuff is 'unavailable' :p

Soldato
OP

How did you know/realise it was stuck? Curious as to whether that sort of thing has any diagnostic reporting.

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;29534195 said:
Surely you are eventually going to run out of dealers to borrow demonstrators for long periods of time and then not actually buy a car from? :p

I've already bought quite a few, for our sales people at work, etc.

I'll let you know what the new E Class is like, the old one doesn't hold up well against the F10.

Man of Honour
Early thoughts on the new E Class (220d):

An absolutely massive step up from the old one in every area, perhaps aside from looks, the exterior isn't really going to get any juices flowing but it's purposeful and looks executive without being too in your face. 'AMG Line' trim a must, and the 20" wheels help.

The interior is brilliant, it's much more S Class than C Class, every surface is well made and there's no plastic tat to be found anywhere, though the piano black centre console scratches very easily, but that's the same on any car that has it. The clocks (non widescreen cockpit) are very clear and easy to read, unlike the old E Class which has a slightly strange design. The huge central screen is pin sharp and thankfully built-in unlike most other Mercs where it's an 'iPad'.

It's easily as insulated as a 5 series, if not slightly better, and definitely better than the A6 and XF. You can only just about hear the road, wind noise is very low and the new engine is much quieter and less revvy than the old 220. It's also more economical and noticeably quicker. The suspension is very well set up too, comfortable without being boaty.

The steering feels a bit flat compared to the 5 series, though, it's certainly not bad, but it's definitely set up as a cruiser rather than something that puts a focus on handling. Having said that, a large exec saloon isn't really meant to be a sports car so I can't see it putting many people off, it's more than capable.

Overall I'm pleasantly surprised, I knew it would be good but for the money it's an exceptional car and the interior has a nice sense of occasion about it, especially the rather extensive ambient lighting that can be found under almost every piece of trim and looks fantastic at night (you can still see it in the daylight too).

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all,

Thought I'd say hi and contribute to the Merc love! Here's my daily driver

12791090_10153536263189372_3474257793299820470_n.jpg

Associate
I would use the excuse that it was bought within the family but if I had bought new I would have gone to recession white too :D I wouldn't have it any other way.

Associate
I actually have pretty much no other photos of it! I can certainly get some next time it's out though.

I really want to take the resonators out but as that's a permanent thing I really don't want to.

Back
Top Bottom