Metal Gear Solid. The Phantom pain.

Caporegime
I completed Ground Zeroes on PS4, but have Phantom Pain on PC.

I presume there is no way to use my PS4 save file? If that's the case does anyone have a completed Ground Zeroes save file I can use? And would I need Ground Zeroes to upload it or does Phantom Pain physically search your PC for it (Like Mass Effect)

Soldato
The new CUH 1200 model is supposed to be quieter.

And there's talk of a PS4 slim reveal in October?
New model is barely quieter. It really depends a bit on luck. Bad thermal paste application is common and some suffer worse than others. Mine definitely turns into a hair dryer at times.

As for the slim, that's definitely no guarantee of being any quieter since they're packing things up ever tighter. Depends on what other changes they can bring about. Still feels it's a tad early for a Slim version anyways. Maybe late next year, where they can make more significant improvements.

Soldato
Downloaded GZ again since I've heard there are unlockables that transfer over to TPP, Do you need to 100% the game to get everything? Or only certain things such as getting all the POWs and intel characters like Glaz and Politz?

I plan to get 100% anyway but its good information for others.

Last edited:
Caporegime
New model is barely quieter. It really depends a bit on luck. Bad thermal paste application is common and some suffer worse than others. Mine definitely turns into a hair dryer at times.

As for the slim, that's definitely no guarantee of being any quieter since they're packing things up ever tighter. Depends on what other changes they can bring about. Still feels it's a tad early for a Slim version anyways. Maybe late next year, where they can make more significant improvements.

That makes me quite glad I haven't picked up a PS4 yet :p

I had a 360 years ago, and had to sell it after a few months because I couldn't stand the noise, even with headphones on. I cannot tolerate fan noise or loud disc drives.

After that, I borrowed a PS3 from my brother to play MGS4. Even after I stripped it down and put new paste on the CPU, the damn thing was like a jet engine. It made the 360 sound quiet (it wasn't!).

And now hearing that the new gen of consoles is still audible I think I'll wait for the inevitable die shrinks before buying.

Soldato
So, having never played the MGS games before (barring a demo back in the PS2 days set on a ship or something), and having my workmate chew my ear off about Phantom Pain, I'm quite tempted to give them a proper look and play.

The question is, where do I start? As far as I can tell, only Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain are on PC. Should I get the MGS HD Collection for my old Xbox 360 and play MGS1 on a PS2 emulator? And what about MGS4?

Caporegime
Downloaded GZ again since I've heard there are unlockables that transfer over to TPP, Do you need to 100% the game to get everything? Or only certain things such as getting all the POWs and intel characters like Glaz and Politz?

I plan to get 100% anyway but its good information for others.

Are you able to send me your save game? Would like to transfer but my Ground Zeroes save is on PS4 and I've bought Phantom Pain on PC.

Associate
That makes me quite glad I haven't picked up a PS4 yet :p

I had a 360 years ago, and had to sell it after a few months because I couldn't stand the noise, even with headphones on. I cannot tolerate fan noise or loud disc drives.

After that, I borrowed a PS3 from my brother to play MGS4. Even after I stripped it down and put new paste on the CPU, the damn thing was like a jet engine. It made the 360 sound quiet (it wasn't!).

And now hearing that the new gen of consoles is still audible I think I'll wait for the inevitable die shrinks before buying.

Yup, I know how you feel. I turned on the X360 to mess about in Halo yesterday and I was taken aback by how loud it it compared to my bigger, beefier PC which also is chock full of fans. One of which is stuck on full since it's on a 3 pin motherboard header that runs it at full speed. I really should attach the LNA. Thankfully though, the quiet speakers on my monitor aren't outdone by that loud fan (which is supposed to be quiet, was marketed as 'silent'!).

It turns out that on both the 360 and the PS3, the noisiest part is the disc drive, especially the 360 and that one is the latest slim model. Funny thing is that my PC doesn't have a disc drive. The PS3 is quieter than the PC though, it's the older slim model, not the new tacky plastic one. The other funny thing is that the WiiU is louder than the PS3, while the disc drive is quiet, the fan is relatively loud. My MGS5 Limited Edition PS4 was dispatched yesterday, so I hope it doesn't turn out to be a loud one.

I've spending some time trying to do a few of the missions left on GZ. I'll never get an S rank in the Intel Operative Rescue. Worst mission in the game IMO one massive turret segment that ain't fun. I was doing the CIA mission and according to PC gamer, there aren't any prisoners, but I saw two in the camp. There's also meant to be another dude around the Paz prison, but trying to S rank and get him is a pain.

I may just do these missions without my perfectionism in gear. It takes too long (and too many tries) to S rank them and get all the extractions. Unfortunately there's no useful gadgets like in TPP. The Phantom Cigar would come in handy, putting it to night time makes BB harder to spot, especially in the wide open area in the middle of the base.

Soldato
Can somebody please confirm for me if possible the earliest time we can play this? Thanks.

Incredibly hyped!

I played through every single Metal Gear in story order last year, on a mix of PC, ps3, psp and Vita!

Back
Top Bottom