#MeToo - is it just different for men and women?

Capodecina
Soldato
it seems he is being judged on BHS collapsing. Which was bad. But he should not suffer any financial loss because these are only accusations.
He was always at liberty to refute the accusations at an Employment Tribunal rather than paying people off to "hush them up" and coincidentally to ensure that no current or future employee heard the allegations and kept clear of him in the future.

As it is, he did all he could (i.e. paid some money out of his wife's and BHS pensioner's billions) to ensure that his behaviour was never tested in court.

Money talks - and it shouldn't.

Soldato
He is still has the right to a fair trail like everyone else in this country. Remember "innocent until proven guilty"

But this isn't a criminal prosecution. Everyone gets to make a judgement call on the balance of evidence. At the moment he's a militant, Machiavellian giant **** who stripped BHS of a shed load of assets and was quite happy to let a bunch of pensioners pay for it (until there was talk of him losing his knighthood). Now the question is whether or not he is also a giant **** who has a habit of treating his staff terribly. Based on previous form, the use of NDAs instead of fighting tribunals, and the fact the terms of his injunction argued that the information was gained illegally, rather than the information was incorrect, I think I have enough information to consider him, from my personal moral standpoint, to be a double giant ****.

Now if it turns out he is in the right, I will apologise and go back to just considering him a giant ****.

Soldato
[OT
with hindsight - should perhaps compare Philip Greens business behaviour against white collar Amazon or Apple (.. FANG ?) , who utilise clever tax avoidance strategies, and consequently have extracted monies/jobs from the British economy (Brexit could help address that though)

John Lewis 'profits' and Debenhams, now being impacted too.

Is an individual versus a multinational and their shareholders so different ?
]

Soldato
It's Philip Green....a billionare who took half a billion quid out of RBS in 15 years and sold it for £1....His actions gutted the pension fund and only paid it back when they threatened to strip his precious knighthood.

He's a scumbag.

Oh, right.

So we need to consider a person's character and the opinion of the Daily Mail torch bearers before we consider if the law should apply to an individual?

Soldato
While I am not at all surprised that it is Mr Green, I do think this whole #MeToo crap has gone too far. Other than being a complete d**k has he even had anything other than "he called me fat and bullied me" come out yet?

Soldato
[
How exactly do you think Brexit will help address it? Most of them are registered in Ireland
we will not be beholdent to Europe and could more easily impose tax on profits we consider associated with uk operations. (or import duty?)

bad behaviour of one person isn't lessened just because other people also behave badly.
yes - but we have selective memory/opinions, cuddly apple, ogre Mr Green

]

Soldato
yes - but we have selective memory/opinions, cuddly apple, ogre Mr Green

You're right, but 9/10 times when this point gets raised it's in the context of "Yeah but x also did a bad thing!". The argument should be about punishing all bad behaviour proportionally, not about mitigating punishment because somebody else has been judged to have got away with it before.

At the end of the day it's human nature though, that's why these big companies pay PR firms to manage this stuff for them. But it's worth noting that not all things are equal, people tend to be more willing to write off tax mitigation by big companies when compared to actions like those Green is accused of when it relates to an individual.

Caporegime
The argument surrounding this seems to be that because he got an NDA out then it's all fine that a politician used his parliamentary privilege to expose who it was, in this day and age you'd be mad not to get an NDA even if you know you're totally innocent of accusations.

I see the useful idiots have already started calling for shopping boycotts and him to be stripped of his title. Who needs laws or courts anymore when you have mob rule through CORPORATE social media which is heavily censored and manipulated by our new corporate masters? social media is full of narcissistic people with no backbone who just say whatever will get them the most likes.

Capodecina
Soldato
Philip Green said:
To the extent that it is suggested that I have been guilty of unlawful sexual or racist behaviour, I categorically and wholly deny these allegations.
. . .
Arcadia employs more than 20,000 people and in common with many large businesses sometimes receives formal complaints from employees. In some cases these are settled with the agreement of all parties and their legal advisers. These settlements are confidential so I cannot comment further on them. (Guardian LINK)
Who has accused him of unlawful sexual behaviour?

This defence would seem to suggest that Arcadia have "settled with all parties and their legal advisers" and required them to sign NDAs. Presumably the "settlement" involved the payment of money.

This almost seems to imply that Arcadia have submitted to baseless blackmail attempts rather than rejecting them in public - what a curious and dangerous admission!

Soldato
While I am not at all surprised that it is Mr Green, I do think this whole #MeToo crap has gone too far. Other than being a complete d**k has he even had anything other than "he called me fat and bullied me" come out yet?

Scumbag yeah, no doubt. But I agree, so far this has nothing at all to do with the #MeToo crap.

Soldato
The Ronaldo case, where, NDA's were also employed, has concrete accusations in the public domain, but, has seemingly generated less #metoo/press disgust (, or in OC), double standards versus Mr Green

The original der spiegel investigation from 2017 on Ronaldo , interesting reading, about the 2009 events,
it sounds an extensive procedure for the defendant to have put herself through had it not been true......

Capodecina
Soldato
The Ronaldo case, where, NDA's were also employed, has concrete accusations in the public domain, but, has seemingly generated less #metoo/press disgust (, or in OC), double standards versus Mr Green.
Ronaldo - Portuguese - plays in Italy - accused of rape in the USA - reported in German newspaper.

However, do feel free to express your outrage about Ronaldo rather than attempting to defend Philip Green.

Capodecina
Soldato
The Guardian said:
Several employees of Philip Green who alleged the tycoon had sexually harassed or bullied them were given enormous seven-figure secret payouts to settle their claims, the Guardian has learned.
. . .
One incident of alleged harassment that led to a substantial payout was dismissed by a senior manager because “he didn’t really seem to think that there was anything wrong”, the insider told the Guardian.

“I don’t think he thought Philip was doing anything wrong, I think he just saw it as, that’s how it is.”

In that instance and others where staff raised grievances, “it was just a case of, to make sure this doesn’t go to court and to make sure nobody finds out, how many zeros do you want on the end of this cheque?”
. . .
The source described a culture inside Arcadia’s Colegrave House headquarters in central London in which Green was “generally feared”

“One thing that he said and did a lot, was walk into meeting rooms unannounced, because that is his vibe, and he would ask the women in the room, were they behaving, were they being naughty girls, and did they need their bottom slapped. That is almost his standard way of introducing himself into a room.”

The women present would react with “nervous laughter”, but rarely complained.

Green was also “very physical” with women, according to the source. “There were lots of hugs with women, particularly with senior women. I would describe them as overly long, lingering hugs.

“He would walk into meeting rooms that he didn’t need to be in, he would just walk in, say hi to people and hug all the women in the room. His hands weren’t anywhere inappropriate, just around their backs, but they would be quite long, not just a quick, hey how are you hug.” The men in the room would be greeted with a handshake.
(Guardian LINK)
The bizarre thing is that Neanderthals, even people on here will just shrug their shoulders and say "So it goes, nothing wrong there".

It sounds very much as if a number of "senior managers" at Arcadia should "move on, into the 21st Century"

Associate

Yes the metoo crap has gone to far. but how will we stop it? The Daily Mail torch bearers and social media have given these people to much power.

Back
Top Bottom