*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

What a pile of garbage 11 is. I just upgraded to a AM5 build and was trying to do a fresh install of 11 only it got to the "lets connect to a network" part and froze because there was nothing to connect to as the drivers were not installed yet. Why did MS decide this was the way to go? Why insist on a internet connection when the drivers haven't even been installed? Bloody idiots!! I had a look on my laptop for ways around this and ended up going with a command prompt to bypass this part and continue with the install. For those interested it was press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt and then type "OOBE\BYPASSNRO" which worked a treat. I am now on Windows 11 Pro 23H2 which I believe is the latest build. Strangely my install last week from my Intel 12600/Z690 pc wouldn't update to that build. It was a upgrade from 10 pro to 11 pro so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.
Is this over WIFI?
If that is the case, it does seem strange that a basic WIFI driver is not included.

What a pile of garbage 11 is. I just upgraded to a AM5 build and was trying to do a fresh install of 11 only it got to the "lets connect to a network" part and froze because there was nothing to connect to as the drivers were not installed yet. Why did MS decide this was the way to go? Why insist on a internet connection when the drivers haven't even been installed? Bloody idiots!! I had a look on my laptop for ways around this and ended up going with a command prompt to bypass this part and continue with the install. For those interested it was press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt and then type "OOBE\BYPASSNRO" which worked a treat. I am now on Windows 11 Pro 23H2 which I believe is the latest build. Strangely my install last week from my Intel 12600/Z690 pc wouldn't update to that build. It was a upgrade from 10 pro to 11 pro so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.
Maybe it was a blessing in disguise. I don't like, want or use a Microsoft account to use and log into Windows, so I'm all for local accounts where possible.

Maybe it was a blessing in disguise. I don't like, want or use a Microsoft account to use and log into Windows, so I'm all for local accounts where possible.
If this is the case then the Shifit + F10 option is the best.

I've setup 2 laptops recently (last month or so) where I had to do this for both as I was not going to be using a Microsoft account

It's because they want to force online integration with a MS account at any cost.
Real question is why. I don't think it's anything nefarious, it's just manager wants to see line on chart go up.

You see the same thing with Bing integration into the startmenu/search. Manager wants to see Bing interactions on chart go up probably to justify their job so engineers get told to make it happen.

Is this over WIFI?
If that is the case, it does seem strange that a basic WIFI driver is not included.
Ethernet and WiFi as both need drivers to work but they give no option to install a driver. It's ridiculous!!

Same here, only local accounts for me too. Is that why they want a internet connection then, to force us to use a MS account?

Same here, only local accounts for me too. Is that why they want a internet connection then, to force us to use a MS account?

Everything these days it to get you to use an online account, they sell it to us as its good for cross device or platform syncing and backing stuff up, but in reality, it looks good for shareholders when they can map out annual income better as they have more data, and, speaking of data it gives them more insight into what you are doing via all the telemetry and such, that they can then use to target ads, which they then sell to third parties....

A lot of that kind of stuff now :( getting so annoying - OneDrive settings getting reset after updates i.e. pinned to File Explorer if you don't have settings MS wants, Automatic Sample Submission frequently being flagged if you've set it to off. Various ways of trying to manipulate you into setting Edge to be the default browser...

I bet none of the developers would like it if someone was doing this kind of thing to them.

Had to do a full re-install of W11 on Tuesday, had to use the OOBE\BYPASSNRO command, what a faff though.
Still, a nice fresh install is a good feeling, it is annoying at times, all good now though.

Back
Top Bottom