*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Full rundown of changes:

You can force Windows Update to get it by changing this gpedit.msc policy from not configured, to:

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Manage updates offered from Windows Update

saOvl4u.png

Once WU has got it, simply set it back to not configured.

Last edited:
Installing from an ISO to a fresh virtual machine and the installer still shows it's true roots of Windows 7.

I don't know why they don't just do things properly and make a new installer.

W11.png

Last edited:
Installing from an ISO to a fresh virtual machine and the installer still shows it's true roots of Windows 7.

I don't know why they don't just do things properly and make a new installer.

The WinPE part? There is really no need to change this part from including new drivers for network and storage.

The WinPE part? There is really no need to change this part from including new drivers for network and storage.
I don't think it reflects well on Microsoft if they can't be bothered to make such a minor change. At least the installer's UI would then be in keeping with the rest of Windows 11 if they made the change, rather than making the end user wonder what other minor things Microsoft can't be bothered to sort out.

This should have us all worried. It look's like they are going to force this co-pilot crap on us at some point and recall is being relaunched in November. No bloody thank you Microsoft. If this stuff can't be turned off and preferably uninstalled then I am done with Windows.
All the more reason to stick with Windows 10, unless we can find a way to permanently uninstall this tripe.

Last edited:
There will always be a way of uninstalling it. The thought of sticking to W10 is short-sighted, for starters gaming performance will be compromised given the advances in APIs and engine technology leveraging new OS features, especially with 24H2 showing to be noticeably better for gaming especially on AMD systems. And then there are the security concerns since W10 is end of line and no longer supported by any vendor or any product where drivers would otherwise be provided.

As for the installer, I think it's a trivial thing, revamping the installer makes no difference to the end result, to install Windows, so there's no need to change a part of the process so few people will ever see.

Both are relatively non-issues, the average user won't be aware or even likely care about either, the power user will always have a method to disable anything they feel is suspect for the most part.

Last edited:
There will always be a way of uninstalling it. The thought of sticking to W10 is short-sighted, for starters gaming performance will be compromised given the advances in APIs and engine technology leveraging new OS features, especially with 24H2 showing to be noticeably better for gaming especially on AMD systems. And then there are the security concerns since W10 is end of line and no longer supported by any vendor or any product where drivers would otherwise be provided.

As for the installer, I think it's a trivial thing, revamping the installer makes no difference to the end result, to install Windows, so there's no need to change a part of the process so few people will ever see.

Both are relatively non-issues, the average user won't be aware or even likely care about either, the power user will always have a method to disable anything they feel is suspect for the most part.
Still tinkering with my Windows 11 24H2 install, but Copilot can be uninstalled fairly easily through Settings.

I honestly have zero need to install Windows 11 right now and my hardware doesn't officially support Windows 11 either. But at least with my tinkering, when I inevitably have to install Windows 11 after eventually upgrading my hardware, I'll least know I can disable most of the garbage on Windows 11.

Maybe I'm being petty about the installer, but it's irked me for years why they've not bothered updating it. Sure it makes no difference, but it's still laziness on Microsoft's part to not keep the Windows 11 UI consistent right from installation.

Back
Top Bottom