*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
I haven't checked but I'd imagine my new (7 months old now) build will be compatible.

I'm not sure why people are getting upset and arguing, isn't Windows 10 good until 2025? Plenty of time for things to change. Enough time to check out alternative OS' if W11 gives me any concerns.

Soldato
They not bothered about the end user all they want is your data.

Stay with Linux Mint for now (will never go back to Microsoft ever again because they will stealing everyone's data and sell it for their profit - well these companies like Microsoft, Facebook and Google just bad as each others more adverts, data collection, sell your privacy for profits

Permabanned
OP
Stay with Linux Mint for now (will never go back to Microsoft ever again because they will stealing everyone's data and sell it for their profit - well these companies like Microsoft, Facebook and Google just bad as each others more adverts, data collection, sell your privacy for profits

That's what they all do apart from Apple. They very transparent about data.

Soldato
Maybe EU will banned Microsoft force people's into account sign up, TPM must be in use etc but I know UK no longer with EU because With Microsoft's permission, OEMs can ship Windows 11 PCs without TPM are totally unfair treat with customers who already purchased new pc and build pc but must required to have TPM enabled in order to install Windows 11.

Soldato
Maybe EU will banned Microsoft force people's into account sign up, TPM must be in use etc but I know UK no longer with EU because With Microsoft's permission, OEMs can ship Windows 11 PCs without TPM are totally unfair treat with customers who already purchased new pc and build pc but must required to have TPM enabled in order to install Windows 11.
My head hurts after trying to decipher this ancient text.

Soldato
Just another example of being a big company and being out of touch with it's customers / market. They ought to have known from their existing licensing tied to hardware just how many people would be frozen out of upgrading on the basis of non TPM capable motherboards or older CPU's. It's the kind of rookie move you expect from a start-up rather than a company producing OS's for the past few decades. I've not seen any justification for the choices of cut off across AMD & Intel CPU's. One would think from the presentation that W11 is meant to be a lean and quick OS but if that's the case why does it need only more recent CPU generations if you already have hardware TPM?

Associate
I'm running a 5 year old Haswell on a Asus z-97 mobo. It has TPM headers, but the old 20 pin style. Not surprisingly they can't be bought anywhere. I'm bidding on one and it's the only one I can find. But I'm not totally sure it is the compatible one. Blummin scalpers have already nabbed the rest of 14 pin adaptors. A £6 item is now ranging from £35-90. So anyone with slightly newer mobos are going to have a real problem.

If I can't get hold of an adaptor, the resale value of my PC will likely fall dramatically.

Maybe in a year or two there will be a slew of third party TPM supported adaptors.

Don
Having now had a play about with the leaked version, I'm not a fan of the the "Start" button when set to Centre, as it moves depending on how many apps you have open. Ideally it needs locking to the centre (like on most phones) and then other icons balancing outwards either side

Soldato
I'm running a 5 year old Haswell on a Asus z-97 mobo. It has TPM headers, but the old 20 pin style. Not surprisingly they can't be bought anywhere. I'm bidding on one and it's the only one I can find. But I'm not totally sure it is the compatible one. Blummin scalpers have already nabbed the rest of 14 pin adaptors. A £6 item is now ranging from £35-90. So anyone with slightly newer mobos are going to have a real problem.

If I can't get hold of an adaptor, the resale value of my PC will likely fall dramatically.

Maybe in a year or two there will be a slew of third party TPM supported adaptors.

No support for Haswell though...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...pported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

Back
Top Bottom