*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Im amazed that my board supports TPM because its about 3yrs old now.

TPM modules have been around for 10+ years. Work have been using them for Bitlocker keys since Windows 7. The Sandy Bridge (2nd gen) desktops with generic MSI H61 boards had it back in 2012 , work paid £6 as an optional extra for the TPM module that plugs into a motherboard header. Some of the machines are still around and after a BIOS update to enable UEFI, running Windows 10 with TPM and Secure Boot happily.

PTT (firmware TPM) turned up on enterprise Haswell (4th gen). I've got a couple of older laptops used for testing that it works on fine. Just took the manufacturers a while to enable it for consumer, enthusiast kit.

Soldato
https://blogs.windows.com/windows-i...te-on-windows-11-minimum-system-requirements/

PC Health Check App
With these minimum system requirements in mind, the PC Health Check app was intended to help people check if their current Windows 10 PC could upgrade to Windows 11. Based on the feedback so far, we acknowledge that it was not fully prepared to share the level of detail or accuracy you expected from us on why a Windows 10 PC doesn’t meet upgrade requirements. We are temporarily removing the app so that our teams can address the feedback. We will get it back online in preparation for general availability this fall. In the meantime, you can visit our minimum system requirements page here to learn more.

I think this app was only looking for CPU's that have fTPM capability so it was giving false information to those that have dTPM with an older non listed CPU. Also of note in the above article is the intention to commence testing soon of Intel 7th gen and AMD Zen 1 CPU's.

Basically for those with dTPM 2.0 I think they sent us down a rabbit hole with that PC Health Check app.

Permabanned
OP
Apparently the only checks it does is in the installer. If you copy the install.wim from a windows 11 ISO to a Windows 10 ISO it installs without the extra checks.

It's also been tested with a VM image from Hyper-V - cloned that image to a drive and booted.

Both above works.

Soldato
Apparently the only checks it does is in the installer. If you copy the install.wim from a windows 11 ISO to a Windows 10 ISO it installs without the extra checks.

It's also been tested with a VM image from Hyper-V - cloned that image to a drive and booted.

Both above works.

I'm not referring to W11 insider builds as they are known to have been loosened up on spec requirements.

Soldato
Soldato
Has anybody with a computer which doesn't support TPM or Secure Boot tried to clean install this build from a USB stick?

I did what I did for the previous build - copy Windows 10 files to USB stick, then copy the Windows 11 install.wim file across. This worked for the last build, but it doesn't seem to now. :(

Don
Has anybody with a computer which doesn't support TPM or Secure Boot tried to clean install this build from a USB stick?

I did what I did for the previous build - copy Windows 10 files to USB stick, then copy the Windows 11 install.wim file across. This worked for the last build, but it doesn't seem to now. :(

"Win 11 Boot And Upgrade FiX KiT v1.5" apparently works

Soldato
It's just windows 10 with a new theme.

Not quite there are a few nice gamer features, namely AutoHDR and DirectStorage, so there are some reasons to upgrade - might take a while before companies use the features to there best abilities but you can say the same about any previous OS.

M.

Soldato
I've installed the dev preview.

Trying to personalise it and adjust theme, after changing colour it freezes, minimising window and maximising seems to fix it, or closing and re opening.

Taskbar at the bottom doesn't seem to be very transparent, can't adjust that.

And I seem to have a dilemma with the start menu, how do I organise and sort things? It seems like the new start menu might aswell just be a big list? Feels like it's going to push me to fill my desktop with icons.

Back
Top Bottom