*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Associate
Are there are any downsides to using the firmware TPM? I ask as I'll probably end up doing this.

I asked that a few pages back as I don't know much about TPM at all, and AStalay had this to say, so it seems firmware TPM is not that bad at all as most will rarely update bios or clear CMOS.

The advantage of a dTPM is that the keys should persist after a BIOS update or CMOS clear. With the fTPM the keys would be lost and you have to reinitialise the fTPM. Personally I’ll get a dTPM just for convenience.

Soldato
Very quickly tried this new build. I'm not a fan of the new Settings app because I feel that it now takes twice as long to navigate through the settings now - I found it nauseating changing one setting, going back, scrolling down to the next, etc.

If anybody can find where the setting for what is called "Background Apps" in Windows 10 is, I'd be grateful. Otherwise it's going to be even more of a drag disabling those background apps one at a time.

Man of Honour
Very quickly tried this new build. I'm not a fan of the new Settings app because I feel that it now takes twice as long to navigate through the settings now - I found it nauseating changing one setting, going back, scrolling down to the next, etc.

If anybody can find where the setting for what is called "Background Apps" in Windows 10 is, I'd be grateful. Otherwise it's going to be even more of a drag disabling those background apps one at a time.

It is that kind of thing which made the difference between Vista not being that well received and Windows 7 people mostly more positive about. MS doesn't seem to know the meaning of quality of life experience.

Soldato
Are people doing a clean install or upgrade?
cheers

clean install on my pc with new ssd, also did you know u can change taskbar from middle to left side start menu (with left click mouse) similiar to W10 and I can removed annoying widget! Look much better same as W10 taskbar.

Soldato
I asked that a few pages back as I don't know much about TPM at all, and AStalay had this to say, so it seems firmware TPM is not that bad at all as most will rarely update bios or clear CMOS.

Here you go, this is from the governing body for TPM standards.

basically Firmware TPM is going to be fine for most use cases.

Discrete TPM is designed to be resistant to hardware hacks including to the TPM itself and hardware it interacts with - because of this DTPM is typically used in security critical operations such as biometric scanners for user identification in the military etc

Soldato
The latest statement Microsoft put out is interesting.

They said they are very confident any pc with Intel 8th gen or newer or ryzen 2000 or newer will meet the tpm requirements but for other CPUs that are not actually sure. Between now and launch they will be working to identify which older CPUs can perform the firmware TPM functions and if they pass they will be added to the supported CPU list - the first CPUs they will be testing is the Intel 7th gen and Ryzen 1000.

So there is still hope that people with older systems will get W11 if it passes the tests Microsoft will do, so stop buying TPM 2.0 modules off eBay at $200 cause you may regret it

Soldato
Just ran into my first real annoyance. Usually apps can add their own entries to the right click menu in Explorer but now this has been "modernised", it takes an extra click to bring up the old style menu. Presumably apps will need updating to integrate with the new menus?? Seems like pure laziness or just spite on Microsoft's part. :/

edit: no easy way to open an admin command prompt/powershell from Explorer either. Opening it and then typing a full path to a folder (or even copy/pasting) is beyond tedious.

Last edited:
Soldato
I update my bios every time there is a new one out.

I don't plan and never have used any encryption features on windows which a tpm would have provided.

So hopefully for people like me that flash often using ftpm hopefully won't be a problem.

Soldato
Just ran into my first real annoyance. Usually apps can add their own entries to the right click menu in Explorer but now this has been "modernised", it takes an extra click to bring up the old style menu. Presumably apps will need updating to integrate with the new menus?? Seems like pure laziness or just spite on Microsoft's part. :/

edit: no easy way to open an admin command prompt/powershell from Explorer either. Opening it and then typing a full path to a folder (or even copy/pasting) is beyond tedious.

Are you able to access the MS store and install the new Microsoft Command Prompt program? I think that adds an option to right click menu for 'open command prompt here'.

Back
Top Bottom