Migraines , who suffers from them here?

Soldato
I suffer from them every so often, thankfully they only last about 4 or 5 hours & almost always I wake up with them. I get minor blurred vision, light, sound & smell sensitivity & a huge pain behind my left eye.

Caporegime
OP
Awful migraine this morning, banging headache, felt sick.. Pain that wouldn't let me lay down.

Only eased off now and still feel like I've got a hangover

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Interesting reading the thread, up until last week could count 3 times I've ever had one (I'm mid thirties), then have had two 7 days apart!

Usually know when one is on the way as I get sparkly dots flying at me then start gettingba slight headache, then after about half hour them migraine itself hits, knocks me for six when it does. Only thing that helps me is going to bed for a few hours.

Pretty much what happens to me, love to know what kicks it off. Only thing that was the same the last two times is I had the same thing for dinner the night before ;)

I find once I've been sick a few times usually feel a little better, the light headed weird feeling tends to die down a bit then but the pain is still there. Best thing I can do is try and get to sleep, generally wake up a few hours later feeling much better.

Worse thing last week was being in the middle of some work that really needed finishing before I could slip off to bed. So ended up doing 30 second stints sat at the laptop, typing as quick as I could before running up to get to the bathroom as it made me feel so ill. Did that a few times before finally being able to get to bed :)

Associate
Must be one of the lucky ones as I never migraines, I barely get headaches either, I do get blurred spots in my vision sometimes though where a patch is blurry and I can't see properly, but that goes after 10 mins, aura or something?

Caporegime
OP
Was fine most of the week, fine yesterday too but today just awful. Went to bed perfectly fine, fell asleep really quickly and I believe I had a great night sleep too. But when I woke up, massive headache almost migraine like. Intense pain both sides of head, killer pain up the back of my neck and feeling downright sick.

Doesn't matter what bed I use, what pillow I use, for some stupid reason my body decides to sleep in the most weirdest of positions. One day I even woke up with my head over the side of the bed :rolleyes:

Soldato
just thought i would ask in here seems as i had a migraine the other day. I only get a handful full blown attacks each year and they seem to last about a full 24 hrs then go. Other times i used to be able to take edge off before it fully appeared with Syndol but now i dont have any left i had to suffer.
Did anyone else ever use Syndol? which was available in stores to buy for migraines. The contained a muscle relaxant in them called Doxylamine which made it the only tablet that ever worked in controlling a migraine or potential attack. They disappeared about 18 months ago and then came back due to a massive internet outcry from fellow migraine sufferers but they have now re released them with just co-codamol and caffeine in :mad::( missing the one ingredient that actually worked on a migraine thanks to all the silly UK laws about tablets containing certain potentially addictive agents.
I got told by my doctor that co-codamol can actually make a migraine worse! and to only use strong ibuprofen.
does anyone use any other over the counter tablets that they have tried and found it helped? i cannot be dealing with another migraine like that again that i cannot shift due to rubbish tablets.

Man of Honour
just thought i would ask in here seems as i had a migraine the other day. I only get a handful full blown attacks each year and they seem to last about a full 24 hrs then go. Other times i used to be able to take edge off before it fully appeared with Syndol but now i dont have any left i had to suffer.
Did anyone else ever use Syndol? which was available in stores to buy for migraines. The contained a muscle relaxant in them called Doxylamine which made it the only tablet that ever worked in controlling a migraine or potential attack. They disappeared about 18 months ago and then came back due to a massive internet outcry from fellow migraine sufferers but they have now re released them with just co-codamol and caffeine in :mad::( missing the one ingredient that actually worked on a migraine thanks to all the silly UK laws about tablets containing certain potentially addictive agents.
I got told by my doctor that co-codamol can actually make a migraine worse! and to only use strong ibuprofen.
does anyone use any other over the counter tablets that they have tried and found it helped? i cannot be dealing with another migraine like that again that i cannot shift due to rubbish tablets.

Veering dangerously close to medical advice so I'll stay away from making any recommendations but like you I suffer from a small number of 24 hour migraines a year and I've tried a whole raft of medication over the years to little effect (plus its a bit hard to see what works and what doesn't when they are so infrequent) - co-codamol type stuff definitely is ineffective at best, possibly makes them worse think its more it makes you feel a bit "out of it" on top of the migraine already doing that.

Ibuprofen only helps if I catch it early enough which usually I don't - once my vision starts blurring its too late for any amount of Ibuprofen to do much other than help offset some of the impact of the hangover like recovery phase.

EDIT: One thing to be very careful of - don't take most migraine medications in combination with alcohol - know 1-2 people who've forgotten they've taken it and gone out drinking and had a fairly unpleasant reaction.

Last edited:
Associate
Been suffering from a horrible headache for the last 4 weeks. Paracetamol was doing nothing to relief the pain. So my GP suggested tramodol i think it's called?
So I'm taking 50mg of that 3 times a day. And has so far helped a lot.

I'm only 23 :o

Caporegime
OP
Went to bed fine, but woke up at 6am with a migraine, felt sick, head banging and my neck was really painful and stiff. Tuesday ruined :mad:

Been suffering from a horrible headache for the last 4 weeks. Paracetamol was doing nothing to relief the pain. So my GP suggested tramodol i think it's called?
So I'm taking 50mg of that 3 times a day. And has so far helped a lot.

I'm only 23 :o

urg Tramadol, last time I had that stuff I collapsed outside someones house

Permabanned
I rarely get them, once or twice a year maybe but they last a few days.

They can be quite bad, last one I had gave me temporary dyslexia which was great fun, my fault though as I tried to work through it. :p

Usually the same symptoms, blurred vision followed by a headache.

Man of Honour
I rarely get them, once or twice a year maybe but they last a few days.

They can be quite bad, last one I had gave me temporary dyslexia which was great fun, my fault though as I tried to work through it. :p

Usually the same symptoms, blurred vision followed by a headache.

I get dyslexia from them too sometimes. In general though the pain is so bad I have to spend most of the day in the deb.

Soldato
Fellow migraineur checking in. Triggers are mainly UV (which is odd, as you can't see it) and dehydration.

So long as I wear UV filtering glasses outside during the day (even if it's cloudy) and sunglasses if it's sunny, and drink water, I get a few migraines a year.

Before finding my triggers, I'd get a debilitating "several a month".

I get bright coloured spots all across my vision until I'm blind (aura). Sometimes a splitting headache and nausea. I can usually sleep it off after a few hours in a dark room.

Migard, the abortive medication, works great for me. I feel a bit a spaced out, but it usually stops the remaining migraines in their tracks.

Life changing.

When I was in school, I had a blinding migraine while in a science lesson. This was before I'd been diagnosed as suffering from migraines.

A member of staff tried to take me to the nurse's room. She was leading me by the arm, she walked through the door and walked me BANG into the door frame and wall.

I ended up being interrogated by the deputy head teaching in the medical room as a suspected drug abuser. I was taken to hospital by ambulance and everything.

Not a good day.

Associate
I generally don't understand how I get mine its really odd ! I get the ones with the fuzzy blurred vision and lights flashing around my eyes say for 2 mins or so and then it goes and then I get the pain in my head after , this will normally randomly happen a for the next week or so and then it wont happen to me for say 6 months or so , I still don't know what causes it but my guess is , I think mine in related to sugar and how much water I have in my body as when I look back on when I got the attacks I would say I was drinking fizzy drinks and feeling a little tired so maybe this is what causes them, I always find that a dark room , no lights or sound and pint of water helps loads.

Last edited:
Soldato
I used to get them a few times a year, excruciating head ache occasionally accompanied with strange visual artefacts or distortion and nearly always causes me to vomit. Horrible things.

Strangely I haven't had one in the last 2 years, they just seemed to stop and I have no idea why, I just hope they don't return.

Associate
Had the first migraine in years yesterday, thought I'd just been dazzled by some headlights as I was parking up outside the house. Realised it was an aura pretty quickly and managed to get a few paracetamol in me, still had a banging headache later on, but at least they bought me some time to have some food and get comfy in bed.

Made me wake wake up late this morning as well, still don't feel brilliant but hopefully it's just a one off, work and financial limitations around the last month or two have been stressing me out, so I'm putting it down to that.

Permabanned
Yeah I just get migraine induced vertigo and no headache, it's weird but only lasts for a minute, apparently it's like a migraine aura without the headaches, but it does give me that migraine hangover feeling for rest of day, happens every week or so, feel for those that get the pains

Man of Honour
I generally don't understand how I get mine its really odd ! I get the ones with the fuzzy blurred vision and lights flashing around my eyes say for 2 mins or so and then it goes and then I get the pain in my head after , this will normally randomly happen a for the next week or so and then it wont happen to me for say 6 months or so , I still don't know what causes it but my guess is , I think mine in related to sugar and how much water I have in my body as when I look back on when I got the attacks I would say I was drinking fizzy drinks and feeling a little tired so maybe this is what causes them, I always find that a dark room , no lights or sound and pint of water helps loads.

Dehydration (usually mixed with stress or over exertion) seems to be one trigger for me but mainly its dark chocolate (can eat milk chocolate fine but dark = migraine 90% of the time) and specific weather.

Back
Top Bottom