Migraines , who suffers from them here?

Soldato
Sorry about that - I am not sure why I typed days. I must have been distracted while typing.

That is a truly awful situation to be in. Have you managed to identify any absolute triggers? Environment, food, light, sound etc.
Must be difficult to gauge since you get them constantly. Have there been any promising suggestions or options?

I know someone who had botox in their forehead for migraines. Stopped working after a while.

Yeah biggest trigger is without a doubt screen use. But it’s got to the stage that almost anything will set it off. Any kind of exertion, even a gentle short walk.

Hoping the gonblock works, or at least gives me some short rest. My Ménière’s makes this much more complex. It’s hard to know whether it’s the vertigo kicking off the migraines or the migraines kicking off the vertigo.

Associate
Mine are severe, everyday I have a migraine and have had for about 5 years now. I can only tolerate short bursts of screen activity, can’t watch TV anymore. Can’t use the PC for more than about 30 minutes. Have daily pressure on my head and face, my sinuses are blocked up. Get vertigo daily.

Oh boy do I hate it. Haven’t been able to work for weeks because of it.
Might not help at all as your issue seems terrible but recently I started getting really bad eye strain and headaches after being on laptop, pc, phone etc.for long periods
I have bought some of those blue filter glasses and currently the eye strain and headaches have gone , even during long periods of screen activity.

Last edited:
Soldato
Might not help at all as your issue seems terrible but recently I started getting really bad eye strain and headaches after being on laptop, pc, phone etc.for long periods
I have bought some of those blue filter glasses and currently the eye strain and headaches have gone while, even during long periods of screen activity.

I tried them as well but no luck - lots of my migraines stem from eye strain. Unfortunately I think it’s a build up of years of heavy screen use. For about twenty years I spent most of my waking hours looking at screens, and in to my twenties I noticed my eyes starting to become more physically painful and tired. As time went on I got more and more headaches. I can just about tolerate my iPhone Oled screen - I’ve tried numerous IPS/TN screens for pc with no luck.

Im wondering if the dpi of the iPhone screen helps, causing less eye strain. Honestly not sure - but I have a constant low level headache from the moment I wake, often turning in to a full blown migraine every evening.

Associate
I tried them as well but no luck - lots of my migraines stem from eye strain. Unfortunately I think it’s a build up of years of heavy screen use. For about twenty years I spent most of my waking hours looking at screens, and in to my twenties I noticed my eyes starting to become more physically painful and tired. As time went on I got more and more headaches. I can just about tolerate my iPhone Oled screen - I’ve tried numerous IPS/TN screens for pc with no luck.

Im wondering if the dpi of the iPhone screen helps, causing less eye strain. Honestly not sure - but I have a constant low level headache from the moment I wake, often turning in to a full blown migraine every evening.
stupid question possibly - have you had your eyes tested?

Soldato
Thread revival! I can't believe no one has had a migraine since Oct 22.

I have Menieres Disease and also Migraine Associated Vertigo/Vestibular migraines. Recently saw my neurologist and she said I should try some magnesium and Coenzyne Q10 tablets to see if they help. I just wondered where people buy their supplements from (apart from Holland & Barrett). A search reveals loads of places but it's difficult to know who to trust to buy from, Amazon comes up with loads but buying tablets from there makes me wonder if they are okay.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've recently (1-2 years) developed headache issues.
Has an mri 8 months ago. All clear. But it's reared it's head again. Seems to last weeks too. But never debilitating.
Manifests in tension type headaches and mild nausea.

I think its part of my health anxiety.
Alas. The worry is there too and I'm down for another mri.. Just to be sure.

Too many stories I Know about of being told its nothing. And then it's not.

I really struggle with health anxiety. And got a wake up call last year of how bad extreme anxiety can be last year.
Its so powerful, I was worried about my GI tract.. And the worry basically manifested in real symptoms there. Basically my whole GI tract went weird. Blockages etc.

Unfortunately, my mind won't trust doctors saying "it's just anxiety etc" and without scans I can never let go of the deep Anxiety.

Last edited:
Soldato
I used to suffer from cluster/suicide headaches and wouldn’t wish them on anyone.
I’ve never experienced pain like it, it’s indescribable just how bad it is.
Had all the hospital checks and nothing found, but since I gave up smoking after 30+ years they’ve (hopefully) stopped and won’t return.

Associate
I've recently (1-2 years) developed headache issues.
Has an mri 8 months ago. All clear. But it's reared it's head again. Seems to last weeks too. But never debilitating.
Manifests in tension type headaches and mild nausea.

I think its part of my health anxiety.
Alas. The worry is there too and I'm down for another mri.. Just to be sure.

Too many stories I Know about of being told its nothing. And then it's not.

I really struggle with health anxiety. And got a wake up call last year of how bad extreme anxiety can be last year.
Its so powerful, I was worried about my GI tract.. And the worry basically manifested in real symptoms there. Basically my whole GI tract went weird. Blockages etc.

Unfortunately, my mind won't trust doctors saying "it's just anxiety etc" and without scans I can never let go of the deep Anxiety.
I take the attitude of if I get it I get it. I have lived with migraines and headaches since a young age and have found out what triggers them(mostly). The more you worry about something the more you will feel unwell.

Do you use your phone a lot or computer? Eye strain and incorrect posture can be a cause of headaches.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I take the attitude of if I get it I get it. I have lived with migraines and headaches since a young age and have found out what triggers them(mostly). The more you worry about something the more you will feel unwell.

Do you use your phone a lot or computer? Eye strain and incorrect posture can be a cause of headaches.

Yes. Unavoidable.
I think I've figured out how it starts.
I get ill.
I worry about that..
A feedback loop occurs where my anxiety exacerbates the illness. And that in turn amplifies my anxiety.

Before I know it I'm down a rabbit hole wondering wtf is wrong with me.

Then my rational self fights my anxiety.
"I'm 99pc sure it's because I'm clenching my jaw, because I'm worrying, etc".. Then the anxiety voice will step in... "but it could be X"

It really got bad when a family member was told by GP after GP... You're fine.. Then.... A few months later. She's gone.

So this is my life. Trying to fight the anxiety. Next step is professional counselling. As I can't be consumed by it like my mum is with her depression.

Associate
On the subject of triggers, has anyone here suffering from migraines linked them to any of these foods?

Pistachios
Chocolate
Sweets - jellies, gums, liquorice etc.
Crisps
Ice cream - Ben & Jerry's or Magnums
Alcohol - whisky, lager, craft beer and/or cider. Max two drinks

Dark chocolate and some types of nuts can trigger them for me. Cheap red wine and some cheaper brands of whisky (blended, not single-malt whisky) are also a trigger for me. High acetaldehyde levels would be the trigger in those whisky brands and red wines contains differing levels of quercetin (a phenolic flavonoid) a metabolite of this blocks the enzyme which breakdowns acetaldehyde in the liver, after the acetaldehyde is produced by the breakdown of alcohol.

It’s years not days, I’ve tried tons of medications. It’s given me chronic fatigue syndrome as a result, been off work for weeks now. Was off work for around 8 months in 2020. I’m having a gon block in November, not sure what else to do at this point. I spend most of my days in bed and have for years because they are so bad. Proving very hard for mentally!

What a terrible situation. The following is not medical advice. It is just something to do some research into if you have not considered it already.

There is anecdotal evidence that medical cannabis can help people with frequent treatment-resistant migraines, just as it has been proven to help some people with treatment-resistant epilepsy (which is why the government changed the law to allow it to be prescribed). Here is a link to a peer-reviewed academic literature review which discusses what was known up to May 2022 about this treatment option:

Back
Top Bottom