Migraines , who suffers from them here?

Soldato
i allways thought migraines were caused by mental instability?

Its basically caused when a part of the brain is stimulated and it releases chemicals that irritate the surface of the brain, causing swelling of the blood vessels.

The initial trigger can be a range of things. Hormonal, Over sensitivity to certain things(Caffeine, Sugar, chocolate, Light) straining with bad eye sight can trigger it.

There will most likely be psychological triggers too, stress, etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
I get them, very occasionally, they're horrible.

Last one I had was back in June, I was on a training course for the day in Wakefield (about 40 minutes from where I live), woke up with a headache but by the time I got to the hotel where the course was I was drip white and felt awful. It started at 9:30 and I left at 11, my colleagues told me to go home while I could still drive.

Thought about getting my OH to come and pick me up but decided I just wanted to get home - had to pull over onto the hard shoulder of the motorway to throw up :(
Managed to make it home and spent the rest of the day in bed in the dark, sleeping it off. Went to sleep when I got home about 12, my OH woke me up when he got in from work at 7:30 that evening.

Cocodamol is the best for me when I have migraines so always have some just in case.

Also I find that I'm wiped the next day as well even though I'll have slept all the day before.

Permabanned
Last year I suffered from what the doctor called cluster migraines. They were horrific and went through a phase of 1 or 2 lasting anywhere between half an hour to a couple hours, everyday over a period of about 3 or 4 weeks. That was the second time in my life that I suffered from this condition. The first was probably a good 15 years prior and the same thing - the migraine would come on like clockwork and then after a period of a few weeks they would just stop.

On both occasions I had convinced myself I had a brain tumour, especially as the pain seemed to be concentrated to the right side of my head and in same area on each occasion.

Thankfully, I don't suffer from regular migraines and I do not envy anyone who does. I get the occasional mild headache and even rarer pounding headache and those are bad enough to reduce me to tears almost.

Caporegime
OP
I've been fine for about a month then the heat and humidity got to me on Friday and I had a massive migraine, even with all the water drinking. Saturday was ok, then this morning I woke up with a really bad head, felt sick and couldn't keep cool.

I don't mind heat but humid not so much :(

Soldato
I do, they're part of life imo.

Screens are a major trigger for me, I have to be careful how bright/ how I have them adjusted. 5 minutes using a screen with uber brightness and it'll be on it's way.

Associate
My migraines are apparently sleep related, and usually only strike on a weekend. If I oversleep, or if I wake up and go back to sleep, it's almost guaranteed that a migraine will come on. I've found that I can tell (just a vague groggy / tight feeling) when I'm likely to get one, and taking ibuprofen early will prevent it from manifesting. If I wait too long, painkillers won't touch it.

If a full-blown migraine comes on, sleeping is the only thing that helps. The worst thing is being sick when you have a banging headache, it certainly doesn't help! Thankfully I've never had one that lasts more than a day or so. I feel for those people who have clusters or a single migraine that lasts multiple days.

I've only once had visual migraine effects, and that happened without the usual headache. I had a colourful arc across my vision for about an hour. It would have been very scary if I didn't know migraines can cause such things.

Caporegime
OP
Very VERY similar to me xyyphic!

Ever found though that if you over sleep and get a migraine, it's even worse because you can't exactly sleep it off with pills?

Soldato
I used to get them a lot when I was in my late teens, but they seem to have subsided a lot since then. Used to get them along with nausea and the only way to get rid of them was to sleep them off, which sometimes took a couple of days.

Nowadays they seem to be triggered mostly by lack of sleep or dehydration. I've not had the nausea for a long time though thankfully. I found that Syndol did a great job of shifting them until it was withdrawn from sale. Unfortunately my GP is completely unsympathetic about them and even when I phoned up complaining that it was affecting my quality of life and my job, all he advised was to get plenty of rest and take ibuprofen..yeah thanks for that!!

Associate
Never really had one, until a couple of weeks ago. Major pain and made me feel sick. Was over in around 5-6 hours though. Very odd.

Can bad food induce them?

Soldato
My migraines are apparently sleep related, and usually only strike on a weekend. If I oversleep, or if I wake up and go back to sleep, it's almost guaranteed that a migraine will come on. I've found that I can tell (just a vague groggy / tight feeling) when I'm likely to get one, and taking ibuprofen early will prevent it from manifesting. If I wait too long, painkillers won't touch it.

If a full-blown migraine comes on, sleeping is the only thing that helps. The worst thing is being sick when you have a banging headache, it certainly doesn't help! Thankfully I've never had one that lasts more than a day or so. I feel for those people who have clusters or a single migraine that lasts multiple days.

I've only once had visual migraine effects, and that happened without the usual headache. I had a colourful arc across my vision for about an hour. It would have been very scary if I didn't know migraines can cause such things.

That actually sounds like withdrawal from something in your weekly diet, like caffeine or good old dehydration. I use to have the same thing - turned out it was just because I slept through my morning caffeine fix.

Associate
My g.f suffers from them pretty bad as well. Doctors have just gave her some anti depressant drug to combat the nerve endings they said. Only had them for about 2 days now so far so good but can take a while to have any affect.

Associate
I know when I play certain games it can trigger a migrain. When I started The Witcher 2 I had terrible headaches after only playing for 10 minutes. Someone suggested switching the ratio from 16:9 to 16:10 and that solved my problem. Quite shocked such a small change made such a big difference.

Caporegime
storms come dg gets migraines

always just before and then go just as the rain starts to fall :confused::eek::p

very odd and as it rains you can feel the migraine just going away :confused:

been quite a few articles related t weather and migraines.

Thug
Soldato
Occasionally I come across (extremely quickly), with terribly sore bones, sore chest, inability to feel warmth (happened recently during the hottest day, and even with a hot water bottle and 3 blankets I was shivering violently), pain in chest with a crushing head pain in my skull. Went as quickly as it came (after a few hours), though left me weak as it always did for a week or so afterwards.

Doctor reckons it could be like a migraine? Sound familiar?

Caporegime
OP
Bad one this morning, woke up with it... If I get one coming I can deal with it earlier but waking up to them not so good. I know what is causing mine

Stress and neck problems, I'm under physio atm for them :(

Back
Top Bottom