Mini-Rant: Posties...

Soldato
Well this morning I confirmed my suspicions of the cheeky post-lady not delivering my parcels, when I opened the curtains to find her posting a "Sorry, you were out" card through my letter box.

There was no knocking, no doorbell and she has to walk past my office & bedroom windows to the front door anyway, so there was some obvious activity in the house!

When she saw me she flushed and said "Oh I was just posting this ticket through your door"... :)confused:) and then asked me to "hang on a minute" whilst she walked back to her bike on the street corner to fetch my parcels!

Is this common practice for Posties on long rounds to just stick to letters and assume people aren't in/palm off responsibility to the recipient to collect from the sorting office?

Sorting office visits are very inconvenient for me- my local one is only open until 1200hrs and I have to wait 24 hours since delivery time (usually ~ midday) so a parcel for Monday might not see my grubby mits until Wednesday.

Anyway... it's a slow morning in the office :p

Caporegime
Maybe the OP was stood there naked with full morning glory.

There was no knocking, no doorbell and she has to walk past my office & bedroom windows to the front door anyway, so there was some obvious activity in the house!

Why would she activity? Can she see through walls? Or does she peer through your curtains every morning?

Last edited:
Soldato
Royal mail is a joke. it really is. The market should be more open so that other companies can be used for letters, that way they wouldn't get business at all, because couriers are obviously best for parcels.
The only reason they can get away with being **** is because there's no one else to use.

Caporegime
My old postie used to do this and I have caught more than one delivery driver as well who walked up with the card and he was filling it in as he walked down the path.

However my current postie is ace and will always leave it with the neighbours or in the stables.

Caporegime
Royal mail is a joke. it really is. The market should be more open so that other companies can be used for letters, that way they wouldn't get business at all, because couriers are obviously best for parcels.
The only reason they can get away with being **** is because there's no one else to use.

Well see how far you get with your 30 odd pence delivering your own mail.

Man of Honour

Actually, there is, although I'm not sure of its suitability for public use. I can't remember the name of them now, but a few small businesses use them as post is guaranteed. There is a post box held at a location, typically in an office, where all post is deposited. Then it gets sent out the next day.

Anybody have any ideas of what this service is called?

Soldato

One way of looking at it. However, they are also **** because all the profitable bits have been opened up to competition, but the competitiors aren't saddled with supporting the loss making door to door delivery of residential mail.

No-one else is going to enter that market because the infrastructure required to do it isn't worth the margin.

I've used DX before for deliveries and I think there are mail box shops that deliver between their own stores where you pay for a mail box.

Associate

yep worked great with the trains aswell...

Man of Honour
It happens all the time especially with the other delivery companies.
On my CCTV and looking out of my window I watched one DHL man walk to my front door and just write a note out.
I opened the door and asked him why he hadn't knocked on and he went red.

Soldato
I don't know too much about how the Royal Mail operates, but I assume postmen/women have strict deadlines to meet, and probably wouldn't have enough time to complete their round if they knocked and waited at every doorstep, depending on how much post they have.

Of course this is no excuse, but I fear uppity middle managers who set impossible targets are probably to blame.

Soldato
Actually, there is, although I'm not sure of its suitability for public use. I can't remember the name of them now, but a few small businesses use them as post is guaranteed. There is a post box held at a location, typically in an office, where all post is deposited. Then it gets sent out the next day.

DX

Soldato
I suppose If a postie always attempts to deliver during the day and you are out then it isn't that bad to do this once as 99% of the time it ends up this way but it is wrong to do this by default.

I would have subtely asked to knock harder next time.

Was she hot?

Soldato
OP
Maybe you didn't hear her knock the door?

No chance this morning. No knock, no doorbell.

Why would she look flushed if she had knocked?

...Er.... what? :confused:

and why would she have left the parcels on her bike instead of bringing them with her?

I think this highlights the point of my mini-rant; she wasn't even attempting to deliver, but just posting a card saying "Sorry, you were out" etc.

Man of Honour
[DOD]Asprilla;15043254 said:
I've used DX before for deliveries and I think there are mail box shops that deliver between their own stores where you pay for a mail box.

That might well be it.

Soldato
She isn't the only one that does this.

I have been told over the phone when I rang one time that some do this because it is during work hours and from previous knocking no one answers the door.

It is poor service, especially since we use to get mail around 8am years ago. I can see there point but still, it really seems like lazyness to me.

Back
Top Bottom