Mister FPGA

I've assembled the device and there are no problems. The ethernet connector is quite close to the av board but not touching as shown in Zaf's post, fortunately. I have taken pictures and can someone please suggest where I can upload them to put in a future post?

I've assembled the device and there are no problems. The ethernet connector is quite close to the av board but not touching as shown in Zaf's post, fortunately. I have taken pictures and can someone please suggest where I can upload them to put in a future post?
IBB is where I usually upload to :). But you might need to copy the text provided by them, as I had issues inserting on the forum using the tools.

Last edited:
First impressions are pretty good. Setting up with the firmware was as described and didn't take long. The offline-stock.7z file took a bit of time to copy to a SD card. Haven't downloaded and run the update_all script so most of the arcade cores don't work as missing files (I'm presuming). Computer cores work okay and can play games as long as have the tape/disk/cartridge image file. Have been using the C64 core mostly. Did have problems with one piece of software but think that was due to incompatibility with the core setup which uses dolphin dos. The USB card died on one occasion and couldn't use keyboard and mouse. A reset solved the problem and hasn't happened again. Could have been something I did. Keymapping for some computer cores seemed odd as couldn't find characters like ". Sometime " was on @. Need to look into that a bit more.

My SDRAM arrived today as well but not had chance to test it yet!

I was disappointed by how it just rattled around in the box and with no ESD protection.

There was something on Reddit earlier about one of the sticks only reaching ~120Mhz and they are going to get a replacement, so I would recommend everyone runs the memory test on theirs too.

I was disappointed by how it just rattled around in the box and with no ESD protection.

There was something on Reddit earlier about one of the sticks only reaching ~120Mhz and they are going to get a replacement, so I would recommend everyone runs the memory test on theirs too.
Yeah I saw that post as well, stable enough for at least N64, but not as advertised.

Edit: I think mine has finally hit the UK. I was really looking forward to getting this set up, but because of the delay between this coming after getting sent back, I ended up setting up PS1 with the RT4K and I have been really enjoying Silent Hill. I will of course be setting it up ASAP to test, but I don't think I'll be changing around my setup just yet :).

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaf
That sounds like it's using a US keyboard layout.
It is which is a bit strange for UK computers. Some cores, like the Amstrad, use UK layout but Jupiter Ace is using US layout (or some of the US keyboard layout). Doesn't seem to be a way of changing the keyboard or settings relating to locale that I've found so far. Not too much of an issue just a bit curious.

Thanks for the heads up. Checked mine using the built in memtest utility (under the Utilities option on the main menu). Ran test for over three hours and had no errors at 150MHz if I'm reading the memtest screen correctly.

Agree with the packaging of the SDRAM, USB board and AV board as they weren't in ESD bags either but the mainboard was in a ESD bag.

It is which is a bit strange for UK computers. Some cores, like the Amstrad, use UK layout but Jupiter Ace is using US layout (or some of the US keyboard layout). Doesn't seem to be a way of changing the keyboard or settings relating to locale that I've found so far. Not too much of an issue just a bit curious.
Can you not change within the core settings then? Perhaps even remapping keys?

Can you not change within the core settings then? Perhaps even remapping keys?
Can't see anything in the options for Jupiter Ace. Options are load *.ace (file), aspect ratio, scandouble fx, scale, CPU speed and reset. The real Jupiter Ace has the " on the P key so maybe mapping " to @ (or " on a US keyboard) was the next best option? The @ character is on the 2 key on the real ACE which is similar to US keyboards.

Edit:

Have had a look at the source code for the Jupiter Ace core keyboard and makes sense now. Keyboard is considered like a PS/2 keyboard and the mapping of the " is to Make Code 52h which is the ' key. The code checks the shift key to get ". <insert Picard facepalm here>

Last edited:
Can't see anything in the options for Jupiter Ace. Options are load *.ace (file), aspect ratio, scandouble fx, scale, CPU speed and reset. The real Jupiter Ace has the " on the P key so maybe mapping " to @ (or " on a US keyboard) was the next best option? The @ character is on the 2 key on the real ACE which is similar to US keyboards.

Edit:

Have had a look at the source code for the Jupiter Ace core keyboard and makes sense now. Keyboard is considered like a PS/2 keyboard and the mapping of the " is to Make Code 52h which is the ' key. The code checks the shift key to get ". <insert Picard facepalm here>
When you open the menu, can you press right and look at options like controls and scanlines/masks. There is usually an option there for controls, but might be Arcade/Console cores, rather than computer (I don't use them).

When you open the menu, can you press right and look at options like controls and scanlines/masks. There is usually an option there for controls, but might be Arcade/Console cores, rather than computer (I don't use them).
Okay, found the option. Not sure can remap as it looks like can only remap a key at a time and can't use modifiers such as shift. I ended up with " bound to left shift key. Jupiter Ace keyboard has a symbol shift key so I wonder if that's how to get a " from P? There doesn't seem to be a mapping in the Jupiter Ace core code for symbol shift key. Don't know as never owned a Jupiter Ace and given the prices on eBay, probably never will.

Okay, found the option. Not sure can remap as it looks like can only remap a key at a time and can't use modifiers such as shift. I ended up with " bound to left shift key. Jupiter Ace keyboard has a symbol shift key so I wonder if that's how to get a " from P? There doesn't seem to be a mapping in the Jupiter Ace core code for symbol shift key. Don't know as never owned a Jupiter Ace and given the prices on eBay, probably never will.
May be worth asking over on the MiSTer Discord or Reddit. I'm sure someone would know :).

My MiSTer 'Pi' Mega pack and extra RAM arrived today. I'll try to put it together tonight or tomorrow. Do the RAM tests work with two sticks and do I need to download it seperately or is it included with the initial setup/update all?

Last edited:
My MiSTer 'Pi' Mega pack and extra RAM arrived today. I'll try to put it together tonight or tomorrow. Do the RAM tests work with two sticks and do I need to download it seperately or is it included with the initial setup/update all?
Can't answer questions about two sticks but the memtest program is under the Utilities menu option.

Back
Top Bottom