Monster Hunter World PC (The official?)

Soldato
I'm a big Dark Souls and games of that ilk so jumped right into this because thought this would be right up my street, but the combat feels very disconnected and imprecise. I'll persevere but I'm struggling to enjoying it.

Try a different weapon. I felt like that initially.

Associate
OP
After playing this game for @12+ hours, it is in my opinion a dreadful game in its current state. There are simply numerous problems (very poorly optimized for PC, hit boxes & hit detection is a complete joke, clipping scenery during fights ranges from poor to very poor, camera fixture and targeting will make you sick after a while as it switches and spins the camera so much during a fight it defies believe, choppy frame rates during fights even on a top end pc, very poor textures in many places especially when close up, spend more time on the ground/knocked down/stuck in scenery/waiting for some animation to finish before I can control my chr again mostly from 'shaky' cam as I cannot predict what the monster will do next and in which direction, often network issues drops you in the middle of doing things with a group, etc etc). The game has real potential, I like the open world, the way the game organizes you into monster quests & fetch quests, survival & gathering resources is done pretty good (apart from the TERRIBLE inventory system, not intuitive at all pretty much the opposite, spend way to much time to having to sort your inventory due to it being designed for controller ONLY and even then its still really poorly done) and overall story is not bad.

I should have known better, a title coming directly from console is never, or very very rarely, going to work well on the PC at its release. Alas I bought it cheaper from somewhere else which means I cannot refund this pile of monster poo. But that point is mute anyways cause the tutorial in the game takes 2+ hours so even if I bought it on steam, I would have run past the deadline once I gotten to the real game.

Overall, after the initial tutorial part and figuring out part, the game became a frustrated affair more and more so to the point where I no longer felt it was worth my time and effort. It needs some patching, as in its current state I would not recommend you touch this with a barge-pole. That opinion does not even take into account that I play with black bars on either side of my screen as it ONLY supports 16:9 resolutions, not 21:9 nor 16:10 nor proper 4k (from what I have read on forums anyways). A real shame that developers/publishers still think they can get away with porting over decent console titles to the PC without putting any real effort into the port itself leaving it in a terrible state with numerous problems and issues which can easily be resolved should they actually be bothered (but its all about the money!).

My 2cs.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn’t listen to every review Mac does he gets too emotional when he can’t co-op games with his girlfriend. Yes it’s very disappointing that co-op is broken but calling the game awful and horrible and to avoid it as a solo experience isn’t true at all.

Associate
After playing this game for @12+ hours, it is in my opinion a dreadful game in its current state. There are simply numerous problems (very poorly optimized for PC, hit boxes & hit detection is a complete joke, clipping scenery during fights ranges from poor to very poor, camera fixture and targeting will make you sick after a while as it switches and spins the camera so much during a fight it defies believe, choppy frame rates during fights even on a top end pc, very poor textures in many places especially when close up, spend more time on the ground/knocked down/stuck in scenery/waiting for some animation to finish before I can control my chr again mostly from 'shaky' cam as I cannot predict what the monster will do next and in which direction, often network issues drops you in the middle of doing things with a group, etc etc). The game has real potential, I like the open world, the way the game organizes you into monster quests & fetch quests, survival & gathering resources is done pretty good (apart from the TERRIBLE inventory system, not intuitive at all pretty much the opposite, spend way to much time to having to sort your inventory due to it being designed for controller ONLY and even then its still really poorly done) and overall story is not bad.

I should have known better, a title coming directly from console is never, or very very rarely, going to work well on the PC at its release. Alas I bought it cheaper from somewhere else which means I cannot refund this pile of monster poo. But that point is mute anyways cause the tutorial in the game takes 2+ hours so even if I bought it on steam, I would have run past the deadline once I gotten to the real game.

Overall, after the initial tutorial part and figuring out part, the game became a frustrated affair more and more so to the point where I no longer felt it was worth my time and effort. It needs some patching, as in its current state I would not recommend you touch this with a barge-pole. That opinion does not even take into account that I play with black bars on either side of my screen as it ONLY supports 16:9 resolutions, not 21:9 nor 16:10 nor proper 4k (from what I have read on forums anyways). A real shame that developers/publishers still think they can get away with porting over decent console titles to the PC without putting any real effort into the port itself leaving it in a terrible state with numerous problems and issues which can easily be resolved should they actually be bothered (but its all about the money!).

My 2cs.

Thought i would give my insight to this game. Having played almost every single monster hunter game from Vita, wii,wiiu, 3ds, switch, ps4.

This game is not for everyone. There is a slight learning curve to every weapon. And also learning the patterns and behaviour or every monster. It will take a lot of hours to fully master the gameplay.

For the camera system i recommend you ditch the auto aim assist and go manual and click to target.

12+ hours in monster hunter is a very short amount of time for this game, the best part is when you get into the high rank.(300+ hrs on ps4 with new content every month) But understand if you cant get into it then its just not your cup of tea.

Compared to the PS4 pro, the game is literally the same in every way.

The biggest problem is the crashing issues that i am getting.

Frame rate is very mixed with every machine. im running 1440p, all high, volume lighting, and shadow mid and get around 60-80 fps. I did expect to get higher, but i guess some work still needs to be done.

Network dropping has always been a thing in monster hunter sadly, not just the PC version.

Playing with a pad is recommended, since that is what the game was originally intended for.

Overall its a decent port in my opinion compared to the ps4. but the random crashes is a problem. I dont mind the network disconnects since you can solo every monster. but the crashes mid or near the end of a fight is frustrating.

I would recommend you give is a few weeks for them to fix the issues, if your new to monster hunter series.

Soldato
Im only 15hrs in and im enjoying it, playing with gamepad as i always do with with 3rd person games.
Ive always wanted to play a Monster hunter game and was waiting for it to come out on PC, the menus and different systems are confusing but will keep the rather basic gameplay (hunt/upgrade loop) interesting.
I only play at 1080p on the system in the sig below and get a comfortable 60fps.

Soldato
I still havent fired this up because of the 21:9 issues.

I assumed that the mod community would push a fix through quickly, however some of the usual guys who fix a lot of these issues are having serious problems because Capcom have aggressively tried to stop any changes to the code.

Hex edits get picked up quickly by the checks that occur and Cheat Engine seems to be a minefield at the moment.

I am sure that a fix will come, but when I dont know.

Soldato
Finally managed to fix my problem and got the game to run on my PC.

I have got passed the initial tutorial and got to the first town where you get to choose and try various weapon bit. I was pleasantly surprise with how well my i5 2500K (currently at 4.5GHz only) and Vega 64 is coping; I got a solid 75fps on max setting (but with AA disable as I do need it and it make the imagine look blurry) from the start all the way to where said I am at on 1440 res.

Haven't got the time to play further yet but I do intend to do so. Have had a quick go at testing some of weapon, and it would seem that using the weapons actually require some properly understanding on their characteristic rather than just button mashing mindlessly.

Associate
what was the issue?

yeah, all the weapons are v different and create a different feel. I started with 2 blades and felt that too exposed, so tried a big sword which was too slow - now on the insect staff thing that makes me fly around the air a lot. it's quite mixed - I seem to be out of the monster's danger more than stood on the ground, but it takes some practice to keep landing blows instead of just flying around wildly...

Soldato
what was the issue?

yeah, all the weapons are v different and create a different feel. I started with 2 blades and felt that too exposed, so tried a big sword which was too slow - now on the insect staff thing that makes me fly around the air a lot. it's quite mixed - I seem to be out of the monster's danger more than stood on the ground, but it takes some practice to keep landing blows instead of just flying around wildly...

Stick to the sword and shield if you're entirely new to it, or if you want big hitting try the switch axe.

But I'd suggest sword and shield simply as it's the only weapon set you have no limits on item use whilst fighting. Great for beginners with a decent skill cap.

Back
Top Bottom