Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Hmm. It's £2 a month though right, and £9 back for two direct debits. Not sure what the 'Rewards' £1 is. Seems a bit of hassle to open up yet another bank account for £7 a month if I don't use the Rewards.

I use Amex wherever it's accepted for Avios, when it's not I use the Chase debit card for the 1% cashback which I pretty much max each month.
RBS Rewards and Barclaycard rewards are just like amex rewards. I rack up 300 quid on amex without trying and then usually make another 50 or 60 across BC or RBS.

RBS primary - open it up during cashback period.
Main spend - amex
Secondary - BC rewards (excellent/best for travel too)
Tertiary / when rewards available - Monzo

Rewards on BC and Monzo are like amex rewards it just means you need to do a quick scan to see what's going.

Actually, I might open one, I've just remembered that one thing Monzo does do which Chase can't is do the instant bank transfer thing for paying off my Amex, and I think RBS do it.

Actually, I might open one, I've just remembered that one thing Monzo does do which Chase can't is do the instant bank transfer thing for paying off my Amex, and I think RBS do it.
The tertiary level is completely optional. Genuine god tier is 1) RBS current (84quid a year for doing nowt; plus private banker to deal with any headaches on your behalf), 2) amex for regular spends; 3) Barclaycard for non amex (cashback is just under 1 I think? But not capped) and travel money (best exchange rate on market). No other cards needed really.... The only downside to the BC is it doesn't support Google pay! So I front it using Curve.

Edit: and yes they fully support all the latest payment gimmicks.

Last edited:
The tertiary level is completely optional. Genuine god tier is 1) RBS current (84quid a year for doing nowt; plus private banker to deal with any headaches on your behalf), 2) amex for regular spends; 3) Barclaycard for non amex (cashback is just under 1 I think? But not capped) and travel money (best exchange rate on market). No other cards needed really.... The only downside to the BC is it doesn't support Google pay! So I front it using Curve.

Edit: and yes they fully support all the latest payment gimmicks.
Which Barclaycard? I have a Platinum for large purchases at 0% but can’t see any cashback stuff in the app.

Which Barclaycard? I have a Platinum for large purchases at 0% but can’t see any cashback stuff in the app.
BC rewards card.

Unfortunately Barclaycard don't have multi account so if you have a 0% your out of luck till that finishes.

It's also only .25% so chase still better if you CBA to transfer. I can't!

Cashback/offers has worked well for me too -
jcfJdhl.jpeg

Big gap in the middle as went Curve for the 1% for a while.

Edit; I actually think RBS uses the same rewards provider so some overlap.

Last edited:
Hmm. It's £2 a month though right, and £9 back for two direct debits. Not sure what the 'Rewards' £1 is. Seems a bit of hassle to open up yet another bank account for £7 a month if I don't use the Rewards.

I use Amex wherever it's accepted for Avios, when it's not I use the Chase debit card for the 1% cashback which I pretty much max each month.

Exact same boat as me, I just can’t be bothered switching again.

Unfortunately Barclaycard don't have multi account so if you have a 0% your out of luck till that finishes.
Ah okay, they gave me a massive limit on my Barclaycard which has come in useful for things like 0% car purchases, so I don't really want to give that ability up for some cashback.

I've applied for the RBS Premier account, see what happens but I'll likely use that as my 'main' account, Amex for everything I can, and chase for beer money.

Does the RBS app allow pots for bills?

do they tell you in black and white what the dam rewards are before you sign up ..
their web site doesn't (like do I get 15% off everything i spend in morrisons ? I suspect not)
It changes constantly - they're generally decent but obviously only useful if you were spending there anyway.

I wish I was as wealthy as you guys to turn down free money :D
It's also only .25% so chase still better if you CBA to transfer. I can't!
So you'll jump around for what equates to a round in town but you won't make more by setting up a standing order and making use of Chase's cashback and/or drip feeding from their savings account?

huh-icegif-2.gif

So you'll jump around for what equates to a round in town but you won't make more by setting up a standing order and making use of Chase's cashback and/or drip feeding from their savings account?

huh-icegif-2.gif
:cry:

Yeah but in my defence I use AMEX in almost 99% of occasions. I did used to do that tho!

:cry:

Yeah but in my defence I use AMEX in almost 99% of occasions. I did used to do that tho!
About the only thing I used Chase for is taxi's, local curry house, and some pubs which don't accept Amex.

I just got my premier account details, they say it should be open soon. Think rather than using a 'pot', I will leave enough in after getting paid to cover the direct debits, then stick whatever is left into Chase.

Monzo has been good, but the app UI changes are terrible and we get frustrated with the account transfer limits and having to wait a day.

About the only thing I used Chase for is taxi's, local curry house, and some pubs which don't accept Amex.

I just got my premier account details, they say it should be open soon. Think rather than using a 'pot', I will leave enough in after getting paid to cover the direct debits, then stick whatever is left into Chase.

Monzo has been good, but the app UI changes are terrible and we get frustrated with the account transfer limits and having to wait a day.
That's a good shout - almost use RBS as a pot in its own right. Get paid - shift delta into Chase, get 1%.

I do think Monzo is worth keeping rather than shutting down as some offers are great. Flex can be handy as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom