Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Caporegime
Switched from Monzo to Starling today, it's used as a 'spending' account currently but I've been that impressed with Starling so far I might take the plunge and make it my main account instead of Nationwide (I'll keep that open as it's been going 20+ years)

That's what I am going to do, for card payments in places that don't take Amex. Online, abroad, small shops etc.

Soldato
Has the Switch process messed up for anyone else?

Seems for a reason some money got left behind in my old account keeping it open, causing some transactions to be applied to it. Cue a SMS from my old bank with an unauthorised overdraft warning.

Fortunately old bank agree it's not my fault so no fees will be applied and requires investigation although switching team only works normal office hours, when surprise, I'm working in my own office.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Well gave this a whirl, slightly concerned they gave me a 5k overdraft off the bat, but the only negative i can find is they do not support OFX statements. Otherwise i would consider a full switch.

Soldato
Has the Switch process messed up for anyone else?

Seems for a reason some money got left behind in my old account keeping it open, causing some transactions to be applied to it. Cue a SMS from my old bank with an unauthorised overdraft warning.

Fortunately old bank agree it's not my fault so no fees will be applied and requires investigation although switching team only works normal office hours, when surprise, I'm working in my own office.
isn't it online chat? So fairly easy just to stick it on at lunch and type away when they're free?

B@

Caporegime
Having been using the Curve card and app, I have to say it’s pretty damn good. I can choose which card to pay with within the app so pretty seamless. And I like the fact that it gives you a spending breakdown.

I also have the Starling card and app but haven’t started using it yet. Need to get around to setting it up at some point.

Soldato
isn't it online chat? So fairly easy just to stick it on at lunch and type away when they're free?

B@
Managed to speak to them in the end.

Old bank basically blamed amazon for not taking payment before the switch date which messed things up and ran me into the overdraft.

Don't know why it's so hard for retailers to debit your account on the day you pay for something..

Anyway paid the overdraft amount (minus fees because switch protection) and they're closing my account on receipt.

Associate
Used Starling card recently for trip abroad and I am very impressed. Conversion rates were way better than the rate I got at PO for cash. Notifications were pretty instant when using the card.

Pez

Pez

Soldato
Been using Starling as our primary account for a few weeks now, only downside I've found is that they don't currently offer joint overdrafts. We don't really need one, I'm just used to having a little (even if never used) safety net just in case.

Caporegime
Great, only thing that is missing for me. I miss out on a lot of insight because most of my spending is on CC and then paid in full. If I could shift that back to Starling then awesome.

Do you like it mostly because of all the insights and breakdown on the spending?

I am trying to rack my brain as in what advantage is there apart from that as at the moment I find it more beneficial to use my credit card as much as possible for

1 - Purchase Protection
2 - Amex points

I would normally only use my debit card if they don't take Amex, now I have started to move some money, say a few hundred per month for general spending into Starling/Monzo instead to create that layer of protection. But if I use Monzo or Starling as my primary account then that plan goes out the window?

Last edited:

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Yup, @Raymond Lin just the insights to be honest. Like you I value my amex points (where available) and protection with my CC, hence why if they provided a CC I'd use it (well, in situations where amex isn't accepted).

Caporegime
Yup, @Raymond Lin just the insights to be honest. Like you I value my amex points (where available) and protection with my CC, hence why if they provided a CC I'd use it (well, in situations where amex isn't accepted).

Unfortunately, I very much doubt Starling or Monzo would get Amex cards, and if they do, I don't expect it to have the same perks as say the Amex Gold, Platinum or the British Airways Premium cards.

Soldato
Main thing is something easy for customers (it's wife's cake business, she's scaling up and also offering day courses decorating cakes) so potential CC acceptance would be good, and a good backend for breaking invoices/ spends/ etc down would be good.

Back
Top Bottom