Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Soldato
Ok

I've had ZER0 problems with revolut so far but i am 50/50 also on their shadiness and would happily seek a 100% decent, "free" alternative offering at the bare minimum what i am getting as a revolut customer now.

Must have app
must have GBP EUR SEK as standard
Seamless instant money conversion
Decent ATM allowance. >3000SEK
Be available to a Non UK address.

You really need a local bank rather than a UK one you're going to use in Sweden every day.

Soldato
What's their reason behind this?
Not massively clear to be honest. Their support weren't much help either.

"we were unable to verify the account details you have given us. It's difficult to see exactly why this is, as we assess various data points with our partnering credit reference agency, TransUnion (formerly Callcredit), to do so."

Caporegime
You really need a local bank rather than a UK one you're going to use in Sweden every day.
err ok thanks, checks Swedbank account he has had for 6 years, ok yep

So back to the question.

my current limit on a free revolut is 3000kr (or local currency) per month from ATMS. id like to keep that as its nice to have cash in backwards societies like the UK :p

Associate
err ok thanks, checks Swedbank account he has had for 6 years, ok yep

So back to the question.

my current limit on a free revolut is 3000kr (or local currency) per month from ATMS. id like to keep that as its nice to have cash in backwards societies like the UK :p

Pretty sure starling bank is what you are after. they allow £300 per day

"You can make up to six withdrawals per day, with a maximum total withdrawal per day of £300."

EDIT - Maybe not as you have to have a uk address :/

Soldato
Signed up to Starling bank on Tuesday morning, still waiting to hear back on verifying my details.

Has it taken others this long?

Caporegime
@Efour have you tried contacting Revolut and seeing if you can get the limit increased?

I'm actually very happy with the setup as it is, its just I have trust issues with revolut, whether or not they are grounded in reality or just my paranoia, is another story.
Yes i have heard they are very accommodating at requests so that was a good tip. Its all good.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I need the ability to have more than 1 account or "pots" that I can set up direct debits in. None of the e-banks seem to offer this... :(

I've signed up to Monzo, Revolut and Starling but they only have dumb pots or "goals" that only allow standing orders in or out. Looking at the roadmap, the feature is always "coming...." and I'm fed up of waiting. Likewise, you can only seem to open 1 account with each, which defeats my plan.

The method I've used with my high street bank is listed below. I don't want to go back to moving amounts in/out of the main account as I've tried that previously but I can't see a way around it.

Current account (pay goes here, 15th of each month)
¦
¦ standing order of x amount gets transferred to 2nd account (16th of each month)
v
Bills account (bills go out 1st of each month - could realistically be 17th but meh :p)

Soldato
I need the ability to have more than 1 account or "pots" that I can set up direct debits in. None of the e-banks seem to offer this... :(

I've signed up to Monzo, Revolut and Starling but they only have dumb pots or "goals" that only allow standing orders in or out. Looking at the roadmap, the feature is always "coming...." and I'm fed up of waiting. Likewise, you can only seem to open 1 account with each, which defeats my plan.

The method I've used with my high street bank is listed below. I don't want to go back to moving amounts in/out of the main account as I've tried that previously but I can't see a way around it.

Current account (pay goes here, 15th of each month)
¦
¦ standing order of x amount gets transferred to 2nd account (16th of each month)
v
Bills account (bills go out 1st of each month - could realistically be 17th but meh :p)

Anything you can do using IFTTT? Monzo supports that service. People have set it up to do alsorts of weird and wonderful things. E.g. switch light on and move 1p from one pot to another.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Its interesting how everyone manages money different, I went down the road of multiple accounts for various things and just way to much hassle.

Acc 1 wages in bills etc
Savings (various) moved from acc 1
AMEX (gets used for everything) paid from acc 1 (Cashback & Miles)

(cash account, used for cash withdraws only and the odd transaction where Amex doesn't work) set amount transferred from acc 1 each month

Soldato
Its interesting how everyone manages money different, I went down the road of multiple accounts for various things and just way to much hassle.

Acc 1 wages in bills etc
Savings (various) moved from acc 1
AMEX (gets used for everything) paid from acc 1 (Cashback & Miles)

(cash account, used for cash withdraws only and the odd transaction where Amex doesn't work) set amount transferred from acc 1 each month

Agreed - lots of hassle.

I just put everything into Santander (we have 3 123 accounts), use cash back credit cards and Revolut for travel/stock

Soldato
It is very interesting.

I'm currently with First Direct (recently switched and didn't see HSBCs offer which was better @ £150!) and have a Starling account for spending.

Standing order for my monthly allowance into Starling.

I do need to look at a proper (somewhat high interest) accessible savings account for my emergency fund as I was building this with Natwest but I don't think I get the bonus anymore :(

No credit card use anymore :)

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Yes i use the above just to try and isolate the current account from outside influences (never used online/shopping etc), Had a bit of scare a few years with using the current account for everything (aside from savings) and while everything was ok in the end but it was PITA to sort out. So now it just a holding pot for DD/SO etc and paying off the AMEX in full each month via DD.

Why would you not use a CC though, massive amounts of protection (if your buying stuff off the internet with debit card or paypal you need to look into it more), some nice benefits, cashback on every purchase, miles depending on what is important to you.

Now if your not the type of person who is responsible enough to track your spending throughout the month & budget, you see 20k limit as free money then yes, maybe a CC is not for you :)

Otherwise your missing a trick really.

Oh and starling still need to OFX !!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Not massively clear to be honest. Their support weren't much help either.

"we were unable to verify the account details you have given us. It's difficult to see exactly why this is, as we assess various data points with our partnering credit reference agency, TransUnion (formerly Callcredit), to do so."

Well my Starling account reports to my Noddle credit report which I understand is TransUnion/Callcredit.

Back
Top Bottom