Morba's log - A mans love of coffee and cake mmm

Caporegime
OP
Great isn't it.
Both those vids show just how much hip drive and core stability and strength is needed in this sport, even if people had no intention of competing, the odd events training days would benefit almost everyone on this forum IMO :)

Caporegime
OP
After what seems an age I the gym, I've had man flu which took down 2 people at work and 2 in my gym!, back today with log session.
Last Monday we tried deadlifts but I want up to it at all so sacked it off half way through.

70kgx5
70kgx5
Warmups sorted

Decided we'd do triples and just keep moving up the weight

80x3
90x3
100x3
100x3 - easy. Knowing I was reaching PB area instead of 105 I went straight for 110.
110x1 - pretty easy. 5kg PB boom.
Should have went for 115, but decided to leave it. Tonight was about reps!
100x3

Had to then go pick up my boy from trampolining which meant going cold.

Back to gym with jake.

Log incline press, clean from floor to lap then roll to chest (horrible, it pushes all air out of your body!)
90x8
100x5
110x3

Having to start from chest with no breath is a killer! Prefer from pins but we no longer have cage in there :(

Jake did 10kg plate floor to overhead 4 times, then side deads with 15kg tri handle plates easily. Good work :D

Caporegime
OP
Gotta admit, I like using the log. Because of the clean its a more complete exercise, there's just so much to it.

Still hoping for 1 rep at 120kg in my next comp, that will give me 3 points straight out.
Just noticed i've not posted the comp details, will get them in a mo.

Caporegime
OP
Next comp:

Weight Catergory - Open
Level - Intermediate (really dependent on interest)
Date - 18th November
Venue - The Piazza, Truro City Centre

Events (subject to change)

6 events to find the Strongest in the Duchy! (anyone can enter, no matter what region)

Event 1: Log Press 100kg 1 Point, 120kg 3 Points

The athlete will have 75 seconds to lift a metal log weighing 100kg or 120kg from the floor and press it over head. They must wait for a good lift signal from the referee. The athelete must then return the log to the ground at this point he will be able to attempt another lift. One repetition with the 100kg log will equal 1 point, and one repetition with the 120kg log will equal 3 points. The highest number of points from an athlete wins the event.

Event 2: Car/Van Deadlift

This event has a frame under a Car/Van with handles enabling the athelete to lift the van off the floor. When the athelete lifts the van to lockout where he is stood up straight he will be given a good lift signal. The athelete must then lower the van to the floor where he may attempt another lift. Most repititions in 75 seconds wins the event.

Event 3: Cornish Stone carry 135kg

This is a stone resembling a tombstone style shape with a cornish flag painted on it. The athelete will have to pick the stone off the floor and carry it as far as possible, after 20m the athelete will have to turn and proceed back. This event has no time limit. If the stone is dropped then the event is over and the distance will be measured. The furthest distance carried wins the event.

Event 4: Moving Killer Medley

In this event the athelete will have to carry a super yoke which will be resting on there shoulders, weighing 260kg. Once this has been carried 20m, they will then have to pick up a an implement called a farmers walk weighing 110kg in each hand and carry those 20m. Finally the athelete will then have to flip a big tyre. A time limit of 75 seconds will be given, the fastest time to complete the event wins. If the event is not completed a distance will be measured.(This event could be changed to a lorry pull, if we have space to do so).

Event 5: Block Press

This event consists of big steel blocks weighing 80-90-100-110-120kg. Each athelete will start off by lifting the 80kg block and pressing it overhead, when given the good lift signal from the referee they will then proceeed onto the next one. If all blocks are lifted a time will be given for complettion of the event. If the athelete is unable to complete all the blocks a time will be given for how long it took them to lift the heaviest one.

Event 6: keg loading.
A range of keg's filled with different materials will be carried and loaded onto a platform, the weights ranging from 80kg-130kg. The lightest keg will be further away from the platform, and as the kegs get heavier they will be closer to the platform. The quickest time to load all of the kegs wins. If the athelete is unable to load all of the kegs a time will be given for the heaviest keg loaded.

Caporegime
OP
I'm not an intermediate, so anything but last will be good. As ever my aim is to complete everything, that seems to be the most consistent way to score half decent points in every event!

The block press will not happen, 110 and 120 will be beyond me, tbh 120 will be beyond most I think as a similar weight was used in WSM finals not long ago and quite a few people failed it!

Caporegime
OP
Yep, time to step up and be counted now.
I want to force my way into Inters next year which generally means winning a novice comp, so this will give me an indication of what I'm facing.

The tyre will be interesting, after farmers it's a deadly combination. Plenty of deep heat and some new neoprenes are a must for biceps I think!

Associate
The squat w/ attempt at decapitation has to be my favourite variant, nothing gets the PBs rolling like fear of death :p.

You've got some skills to be able to do the no handed, skills and balls.

Caporegime
OP
They are horrible things, especially after my major fail lol.
Still, arms back and slow down and up. Will try to add more weight as the weeks go by just because it made me stabilise like mad!

Caporegime
OP
Events: bad day for me, just not feeling it.

Yoke, on the road dodging cars:
260kg 20metres x 3
300kg 5metres

Was painful for my neck after my squat fail.

Log for reps 100kg 60secs:

No warm up, just straight in. This doesn't suit me at all, I need to be warmed up a lot more. Clean is easy but shoulders just not ready for it.

Car deadlift - my v5 golf 1330kg or so:
60secs.
Was 3rd out of 4 to go, needed 21 reps (about 230kg in hands, side handle)
22 reps, plenty left in the tank :)

90kg block of death reps in 60 secs:
Then we (4of us) did last man standing:
2 rounds and on 3rd I failed.

Happy with block, might be because I was more warmed up for it :)

Overall not happy tbh

Caporegime
OP
Deadlift session. Felt tired all day and could easily have not bothered.

Warm ups
5x130
5x180
5x210
3x220
2x220 (I was at an angle to the mirror and I turned to look at myself which felt horrible so didn't do a 3rd)
5x190
5x190

Written down it seems ok, but I lacked passion on any set, none were hard and no issues. Just didn't feel happy training today. Think not eating much on sun and getting not much sleep last night affected me.

Not happy.

Caporegime
OP
Logging my log session

stretching to get my knees ready, my tendonitis is horrific at the moment.

lots of 70kg log, sets of 5 from chest, strict and push press. some from floor.

90x5 from chest
90x3 floor to overhead (FTOH) each rep (just to be clear, floor to lap, to chest/rack position then press overhead)
100x3 FTOH
100x2 FTOH - OOOWWWWWW knee, searing pain, ouchy. Not happy!
one motions dont hurt at all, as full stretch at lapping the log is like a squat, which is fine. where as shorter movements like in push press kill.
one motions:
90x5
90x5
90x5
90x5 from the chest

strict log - floor to chest as normal then strict press up from rack position:
90x3
100x1 PB
100x1 + 1 with slight help

Others decided to do some bench press, i gave it a risky go. 100x2x3. Easy enough weight but straight away I could feel pain in my forearm. Really need to consider getting that surgery at some point.

circus db strict press: this has been remade and the handle is now about 2.25" thick and empty weighs about 35kg.
repped out on each arm 4 times until I couldn't rep any more.

Not a bad session tbh, even though my knee was killing me for the first half of it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom