• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** MORE 8 PACK PRE-BINNED CPU's AVAILABLE UPTO 5.2GHz!! **

Associate
I don't really get the negativity on this. The price premium makes sense if you factor in the rarity and work required. I see OC offering this service as a good thing from a business standpoint, if you can do something that your competitors can't you should do it. I would never buy a binned chip myself, the price to performance isn't there and it takes the fun out of finding what your set up can do, but if someone else wants to, hey, its their money.

Caporegime
I thought my £500 rig was dear.

G4560 for £53 it's half the cores and half the threads but in the real world it's not half the performance no way would I pay over £200 for a cpu. I have done in the past and it wasn't worth it in the slightest.

Associate
I see there are lots of people who aren't up to speed with VR. By default if you can't hold 90fps it will drop the game to 45fps and use some clever trickery to reproject that back to 90fps. Oculus and Vive use different techniques for this. That is why every little helps as it could be the difference between having the power for 88fps and hence dropping to 45fps or holding a rock solid 90fps.

Associate
I get that people are upset that this is expensive but if you don't like it just buy a retail boxed CPU, seems pretty simple. Doesn't hurt that the option is there, for that, thanks OcUK :)

I'm more interested to know what happens to all the CPUs that you test that don't meet the grade? Where do they end up?

Soldato
I don't see why people would be upset... these are priced according to rarity. That said, it doesn't change the fact you're delusionally enriched if you think this is actually worth it from a performance stand point. I imagine (and hope) anyone buying one of these, especially the 5.2, just wants something that is rare and exclusive, which is fine of course. It would be quite sad if someone was paying that much over stock price believing they were getting a noticeable performance bump though.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
I don't see why people would be upset... these are priced according to rarity. That said, it doesn't change the fact you're delusionally enriched if you think this is actually worth it from a performance stand point. I imagine (and hope) anyone buying one of these, especially the 5.2, just wants something that is rare and exclusive, which is fine of course. It would be quite sad if someone was paying that much over stock price believing they were getting a noticeable performance bump though.

No SOME ARE NOT DELUSIONAL AT ALL. Some professionals milliseconds mean millions. 100mhz is worth literally this amount. Several of my 4.9ghz 5960X went for around 8K each depends on your priority......

Soldato
No SOME ARE NOT DELUSIONAL AT ALL. Some professionals milliseconds mean millions. 100mhz is worth literally this amount. Several of my 4.9ghz 5960X went for around 8K each depends on your priority......

Who do you mean by 'professionals' and worth it in what context exactly? Overclockers? Speed for speed's sake, the fastest at any cost?

Soldato
No!

Dont know exact numbers but as an example it will be like this, OCUK take delivery of 10 trays of OEM cpu's, 1 tray will go for the binning process and the other 9 gets put on the shelf for selling in the normal manor, UNTOUCHED!

So how can anyone bin untouched chips...

Soldato
I'd imagine the internet speeds, hdd speeds would be the limiting factor rather than the CPU.

As I understand it the traders have equipment actually located at the stock exchanges so I don't think internet speeds would be a factor. I'm no expert though so take all this as hearsay :)

Soldato
I don't really get the negativity on this. The price premium makes sense if you factor in the rarity and work required. I see OC offering this service as a good thing from a business standpoint, if you can do something that your competitors can't you should do it. I would never buy a binned chip myself, the price to performance isn't there and it takes the fun out of finding what your set up can do, but if someone else wants to, hey, its their money.
Its paying a premium for an unopened chip that is guaranteed to hit 4.8ghz. Of course it will hit 4.8ghz, they all do, hell that's the most minuscule overclock going!!

Would you pay more for a brand new ford fiesta if it was 'guaranteed' to hit 70mph?

Associate
Its paying a premium for an unopened chip that is guaranteed to hit 4.8ghz. Of course it will hit 4.8ghz, they all do, hell that's the most minuscule overclock going!!

Would you pay more for a brand new ford fiesta if it was 'guaranteed' to hit 70mph?
as I said, I wouldn't pay a premium for any of them. and you don't have to.

I was referring to the people moaning about the price of the 5.2ghz, but on the subject of the OC guarantee, I didn't actually bother looking at that. But such vitriol over a gigantic 5% extra charge you can choose to pay in exchange for a do over if you get a dud chip.

Don't get why people are upset. Not every product needs to be for you.

Back
Top Bottom