• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** MORE 8 PACK PRE-BINNED CPU's AVAILABLE UPTO 5.2GHz!! **

Associate
8 Pack has customers that make millions from these chips. OcUK are selling themselves short. I'd want at least 500K per chip.

Lol.

Although it's feasible that an extra few 100MHz could be financially beneficial, I am wondering in what circumstances that would be the case.

Permabanned
Perhaps this sort of thing belongs in it's own 'Elitist' sub forum it is after all a very niche product aimed at a very narrow and select customer. I think even though people deep down understand the reasons for such a product it just naturally irks people, especially in a time of Bankers bonuses and all the unearned privilege and inequality.

I may not pretend to be a Financial wizard or a Business Guru of any kind I do however have a loose grasp on the nature of Business practices. It's supply and demand and we the Consumer (I hate that word) have all the power, if we don't like it then we don't buy it. We can make any Company or Corporation bend to our will if we really wanted too, it just takes us to realise that we have the numbers and ultimately all of the power.

Sorry going on a slight tangent but it annoys me knowing that the solutions are actually quite simple.

Soldato
I don't really get the negativity on this. The price premium makes sense if you factor in the rarity and work required. I see OC offering this service as a good thing from a business standpoint, if you can do something that your competitors can't you should do it. I would never buy a binned chip myself, the price to performance isn't there and it takes the fun out of finding what your set up can do, but if someone else wants to, hey, its their money.

I think that some people are able to see why the sudden influx of the best clocking 7700k chips - Ryzen. Ryzen will be cheaper than these pre-binned parts, be able to clock up to 5Ghz (as confirmed by some sources already) and obviously completely blow these quad cores away when it comes to multi-threaded workloads.

Sure, a 5.2Ghz 7700k will be faster in a few older games that don't scale beyound 1-2 cores, though these games are increasingly in the minority.

Soldato
I think that some people are able to see why the sudden influx of the best clocking 7700k chips - Ryzen. Ryzen will be cheaper than these pre-binned parts, be able to clock up to 5Ghz (as confirmed by some sources already) and obviously completely blow these quad cores away when it comes to multi-threaded workloads.

Sure, a 5.2Ghz 7700k will be faster in a few older games that don't scale beyound 1-2 cores, though these games are increasingly in the minority.

Don't think you're even in the right ballpark with that one.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Even if a 4c/8t ryzen can clock to 5ghz it's unlikely to beat a 7700k. Purely on the basis so far it's been shown to be quite a bit behind on single core perf vs kabylake.

But the most expensive 4c/8t Ryzen (1400x) is looking to be near enough £160 cheaper (£200 vs £360) than a i7 7700k. I doubt the performance is that much worse!

Soldato
I've seen "tests" with Ryzen IPC matching Skylake. Kaby has the same performance as Sky so maybe not depending. Also if you take Gibbo's numbers, not many Kaby chips will do 5Ghz and if you buy a pre binned 7700K you're really looking at the top end Ryzen chips. I suppose it all comes down to how much you're willing to spend and the specific uses.

I would be interested in a pre binned chip but not in this case. The number just don't come close to adding up for me.

Associate
Surely most of these are going to overclockers.
If you want to be the fastest on 3d mark you need the best hardware. £1000 for a cpu isn't unusual.

Back
Top Bottom