Most Worthwhile Upgrades for Sim Racing

Associate
Purchases have been made. I explained my predicament to my wife and we discussed it.
"We" are getting the 5700x3d, and 2x 16gb RAM. I have also ordered a 2tb M.2 SSD. I had a long hard think and this should to me well for a while, with a GPU upgrade at some point down the line.

The wife and daughter will cover the extra cost as my Bday present (which I reluctantly agreed to).

Everything should be here tomorrow.
Is there anything specific I need to do when downloading the BIOS update to a usb drive?
You’re going to love how much faster your pc will be.

Basically, if your getting a gaming system these days, you get the X3D CPUs as they are some of the fastest.

Use your stock cooler for now in regards to what cooler to use - AMD CPUs don’t run as hot as Intel CPUs and it should work.

If it doesn’t, get a second hand tower cooler.

Associate
OP
You’re going to love how much faster your pc will be.

Basically, if your getting a gaming system these days, you get the X3D CPUs as they are some of the fastest.

Use your stock cooler for now in regards to what cooler to use - AMD CPUs don’t run as hot as Intel CPUs and it should work.

If it doesn’t, get a second hand tower cooler.
I have MSI afterburner so I can see temps, is there anything to look out for?

A 2400g sounds like it’s ancient.

Associate
OP
The 2400g is old, yes.

Don’t use MSI afterburner, use HW Info.

That’ll tell you all temps including chipset and so on (where there is a temperature probe that is).
Ah ok. Again very new to this but really appreciating the help and advice.

I’m going to save the spares/replaced parts and have a go at putting together a cheap pc for my kids to play games/do school work.

As a side note, with all these upgrades, I’m starting to think I’m going to need a new case at some point with better cooling.

The case was suited to a 2400g with 8gb total ram and no gpu

And now I have 5700, rx6600 and 32gb ram.

Or am I ok? The case has no top vents at all and the front fans are fed by a thin slit opening about the size of a French fry lol

The more I look around the more “closed” it seems

Last edited:
Associate
Ah ok. Again very new to this but really appreciating the help and advice.

I’m going to save the spares/replaced parts and have a go at putting together a cheap pc for my kids to play games/do school work.

As a side note, with all these upgrades, I’m starting to think I’m going to need a new case at some point with better cooling.

The case was suited to a 2400g with 8gb total ram and no gpu

And now I have 5700, rx6600 and 32gb ram.

The more I look around the more “closed” it seems
1) don’t link competitor websites, it’s a rule of this forum and you should know it.

2) I don’t know chassis, google reviews. You should google reviews for everything you are buying. A forum is mostly just opinions from people based sometimes on reviews and sometimes just biases.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sorry, edited and link removed.

I was trying to understand if it appeared to have sufficient cooling capacity to see if a case would yield a better return, my thinking that better flow through the case has more of a net benefit.

Sorry for breaking the rules

Associate
Sorry, edited and link removed.

I was trying to understand if it appeared to have sufficient cooling capacity to see if a case would yield a better return, my thinking that better flow through the case has more of a net benefit.

Sorry for breaking the rules
That's fine but do read them.

Also, there are a lot of chassis out there so you'd be better of searching for reviews on one you're looking at using google. Also, some products are paid placement in listacles so use multiple sources.

I generally like Phanteks for budget builds as they offer good performance to price but it's up to you. Even a basic chassis can be improved with a couple well placed fans.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thank you.

What a money pit lol.

I’m going to set up and run what I have, see where things settle, I.e temps and performance and take it from there.

Thanks again for all the help. I’ll update once all is set up and running

Back
Top Bottom