Motorsport Manager

Soldato
Maybe they should have hired Geoff Crammond. Real "visualisation" of cars racing was possible decades ago. It boggles my mind how some things have just went backwards in pc gaming... but nevermind.
GPx was programmed before the race. You could even save mid-race, close the game, open the save game and edit the strategy or type of reliability issue of the AI, when it occurred and possibly remove it altogether (I don't remember that last bit), so it certainly wasn't 'on the fly' but very much predetermined and cached.

It's a bit like how Football Manager deals with things. Every time you enter a match or change tactics the subsequent events are set, and if you were to just let it roll through the game then nothing is reactive, it's all predetermined, which is why the game freezes briefly when you alter tactics - it's reprogramming how the match will unfold. As @Chonky also mentioned above Football Manager's 3D match engine is also just a graphical estimation of the game engine, rather than the engine itself as you might see in a FPS for example. It's a fairly close representation, much like Motorsport Manager sounds like (my time on MM is very limited so far, so I'm only basing this on the comments above), but it's still only a representation rather than 'real'.

Soldato
Maybe they should have hired Geoff Crammond. Real "visualisation" of cars racing was possible decades ago. It boggles my mind how some things have just went backwards in pc gaming... but nevermind.

I think you're not really getting it. It is possible. Games do that, but those are racing games, that's what they're all about. That could be added to this, but then it's almost like making two games, the cost goes up to £50 and for something IMO just isn't necessary in a management game.

Associate
Yes, I've been playing and enjoying it over the last couple of days, I might buy it whilst it is 50% off.
Can anyone say whether the AI teams also suffer from part wear during a race, therefore having to pit in order to fix them? I have to do this at least once every race for one of my drivers, which results in a 30+ pit stop (excluding drive in and drive out time). I've never noticed other teams having to do this, and in the 3 races I've done, only 1 AI has not finished.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have two questions, if somebody could answer them please. Can a better lead designer mean that your illegal parts are less likely to get caught? Also when mentoring drivers, does the mentor have to have the better rating?

Last edited:
Associate
I have two questions, if somebody could answer them please. Can a better lead designer mean that your illegal parts are likely to get caught? Also when mentoring drivers, does the mentor have to have the better rating?
Sorry I can't help, but if you don't get an answer here, ask on the Steam game page forum. I asked a question there and got an answer in minutes.

Soldato
GPx was programmed before the race. You could even save mid-race, close the game, open the save game and edit the strategy or type of reliability issue of the AI, when it occurred and possibly remove it altogether (I don't remember that last bit), so it certainly wasn't 'on the fly' but very much predetermined and cached.

It's a bit like how Football Manager deals with things. Every time you enter a match or change tactics the subsequent events are set, and if you were to just let it roll through the game then nothing is reactive, it's all predetermined, which is why the game freezes briefly when you alter tactics - it's reprogramming how the match will unfold. As @Chonky also mentioned above Football Manager's 3D match engine is also just a graphical estimation of the game engine, rather than the engine itself as you might see in a FPS for example. It's a fairly close representation, much like Motorsport Manager sounds like (my time on MM is very limited so far, so I'm only basing this on the comments above), but it's still only a representation rather than 'real'.

Im only basing my opinion on the comments regarding MM visual representation of the race that someone commented on. I do have the game now and its pretty good! Addictive! and i only played for 20 minutes ish (did practice and stage 1 qual) Ton of options with lot of depth...felt a bit lost at sea as i am not a F1 fanatic.... however very good UI and feedback helps you figure things out. I'll report back when ive done a full race (well medium).
Also dead easy to activate mods in this. :thumbs up: :D

Associate
I have two questions, if somebody could answer them please. Can a better lead designer mean that your illegal parts are less likely to get caught? Also when mentoring drivers, does the mentor have to have the better rating?

Nope the probability to get caught is the same.
Designers usually affect how fast can you develop the car.

If you guy need help just ask i have now more than 500 hours in it :)
You can say it worth the price :)

Associate
Yes, I've been playing and enjoying it over the last couple of days, I might buy it whilst it is 50% off.
Can anyone say whether the AI teams also suffer from part wear during a race, therefore having to pit in order to fix them? I have to do this at least once every race for one of my drivers, which results in a 30+ pit stop (excluding drive in and drive out time). I've never noticed other teams having to do this, and in the 3 races I've done, only 1 AI has not finished.

Yes they need to stop to fix as well.
Try to upgrade your factory, you'll get two more slots in the reliability and performance part so you can raise the parts durability quicker.
As soon as the cars pre-season development finished drop in the engine and transmission to raise their durability, these are the parts which take a long time to fix during the races. The wings/brakes are only a few seconds usually.
If you can raise the engine/transmission up to about 80% you can start working on the rest of the parts.

Soldato
Doing a quick championship with Williams (Massa and Lance).

Done 2 races so far. First race did great in practice and quals (2 and 5) In the race i unfortunately put Lance (v high stats 17 year old high pot etc) on the wrong tyre strategy. I had him on Supersofts when i probably should have put him on the yellow ones (hard?) He burnt through multiple tyres quickly and ended up going from 2nd down to 9th after the pitstop and then couldnt get past Perez and burnt through his tyres again finishing up in 16th. Fortunately Massa was uber reliable and went from 6th on the grid i think to finish 3rd. Vettel won btw.

2nd race. Longer race(36 laps Beijing i think on Medium) So had to do some thinking on strategy. I got a 3, 4 qualifying (Lance, Massa) on the grid. Start of race Lance storms into the lead. Whilst Massa slips back to 7th. And it turned out i had burnt his tyres pretty good during qualifying so had to pit around lap 5 ffs lol. So because of that he ends up at 18th. So anyway i stick him on a Hard (yellows) tyres and get him to push like a maniac. Got him to push through a bit of rain as well even when he was whining about putting on inters. I stuck him on inters at his scheduled pitstop. Anyway he drove like like a demon. Fighting his way through the pack again and again. Got to 9th pitstop 12th then fights up to eventually 4th. Great result.

Lance drove very well and finally finished 2nd as Hamilton was unstoppable. Hamilton finished about 6 seconds ahead. It would have been 26 seconds ahead but Hamilton did a pitstop with 3 laps to go. But Lance was about 10 seconds ahead of nearest driver. Vettel had a mare.

Generally im finding if i pit a lap or 2 ahead of the other drivers then i can get ahead of them no problem. Although on both cards some of the parts were getting down to 20% (in the red) mark. So was lucky i didnt have an engine problem.

Is there a difficulty level? Is it because i'm with Williams that i can manage top 4 finishes fairly comfortably. It helps i usually have 99% at the setup car stage (going through praccy)

Only thing which was mildly annoying was that apparently fighting from 18th to finish 4th only gets an 8 driver rating. The previous round he finishes 4th and gets a 9.5 hrmm.

Soldato
Well unfortunately the game ai cheats. Or more specifically Hamilton is a cheating ****. :mad:

Take a look at the following graph showing grid positions.

Hamilton starts from 2 on the grid Stroll (me) from 5th.

Now on end lap 2 (or 3) a car crashes and safety car comes out so Stroll and Hamilton both go into the pits.

Stroll comes out from his pitstop in 10th

Hamilton comes out of his in bleeping 3rd?!

So in 2 laps he has built up such a massive lead over the rest of the field are you ****** ******** me?

Up until this point i was quite enjoying it. In what universe is that even possible??? To be in 2nd then pit and come out in 3rd.

Ill ask the developer the same question because i'm calling a big fat pile of BS.

xONLlwG.jpg

Associate
Well unfortunately the game ai cheats. Or more specifically Hamilton is a cheating ****. :mad:

Take a look at the following graph showing grid positions.
Do you have the lap times for those laps? It would be easier to see from them what could have happened. I guess it is possible but after 3 laps, not likely. Also, there are a couple of circuits where the pit lane makes the lap shorter, so even though he was limited in the pit lane and stopped for 4 seconds for tyres, it could have been a very quick stop.

Back
Top Bottom