Motorsport Manager

Soldato
Just started this game tonight. While I'm not really an F1 fan, this game is pretty impressive. Just gone through the tutorial before my second race but that will have to wait for another day.

I can't create my own team :(. The game is being shared by my brother, so does this mean I need him to activate the "Create Your Own Team" and "Livery Pack" on his copy of the game, before it will show up in my list for DLC?

Soldato
£12.49 is a great price for this, in my opinion. It's Football Manager for Formula One (Only they use made up teams and drivers :p).

Soldato
FREE WEEK AND 50% OFF SALE

qJPcPDD.png

http://store.steampowered.com/app/415200/?snr=1_4_4__139
qJPcPDD.png

Associate
Downloaded from Steam yesterday for the free week. Did 2 races last night and it seems quite good although the races aren't particularly detailed. I didn't see any good battles between places, no defensive positioning or risky overtakes etc... , and contact between cars doesn't appear to be taken into account. Still tempted at 50% off though.

Soldato
I always say the cars on track as more of a representation of what was going on as opposed to the actual real race.

When developers get there head around true multi threading development, such things will be possible, there is just too much in a full race field for a computer to just make up "on the fly" at the moment. Way too many variables.

Well, it "could" be done but the amount of work involved would be insane.

Associate
When developers get there head around true multi threading development, such things will be possible, there is just too much in a full race field for a computer to just make up "on the fly" at the moment. Way too many variables.
Really? You might be right of course, but how does it differ to me watching a race in F1 2016 (don't have it so don't know if you can watch or have to race yourself) with the AI cars making live decisions on their driving depending other AI actions, weather etc....?

Soldato
Isn't that basically what that game is though? They have time to work on all that AI. This is a management game, I'd rather they didn't bother and keep the price down, get it out on sale.

Soldato
Really? You might be right of course, but how does it differ to me watching a race in F1 2016 (don't have it so don't know if you can watch or have to race yourself) with the AI cars making live decisions on their driving depending other AI actions, weather etc....?

That is a car, driving around a track, knowing the EXACT "premium" racing line and deviating from that and adjusting brake zones depending on the difficulty level set.

Do all AI cars have a pit crew monitoring who knows how many parts of the car with the crew then adjusting things on the fly, calling in pit stops? I doubt it, it is much much simpler. AI cars are pulled in for damage percentage and maybe tyres. Definitely not because a tech in the garage has noticed a potential mechanical failure on a suspension or fuel injection system?

I would say there is a big difference between driving and managing. Managing is much more complex in terms of possible user interactions.

Soldato
You know when a game has made a good impression when you go to work really wanting to be playing it again. :p I picked a team predicted 8th for my first season and i think it might be a mistake. Struggled the first race with a 12th and 14th place finish, it didn't help that my best driver got a drive through penalty!

Soldato
I remember when
I always say the cars on track as more of a representation of what was going on as opposed to the actual real race.

I remember when one of the previous F1 games on the PS3/PC did this. Cars you were "racing" on the track didnt represent the race positions of the drivers. The cars just appeared and disappeared. e.g. you would race to catch up with someone and they vanished into thin air lol.

I'll try this for the free week but this kind of thing does annoy me. I was looking forward to watching the cars battle for positions...crashes...great overtakes etc all from the team manager perspective.

edit: can you use the mods with the free version? Hrmm i'll try and see.

Last edited:
Soldato
yes you can use mods. I can understand them not going after a real visualisation of racing that is quite a undertaking. There are many actual racing games where the AI don't race well and just follow a set path.

Maybe they should have hired Geoff Crammond. Real "visualisation" of cars racing was possible decades ago. It boggles my mind how some things have just went backwards in pc gaming... but nevermind.

Back
Top Bottom