Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
There are rumblings that Mr. E is trying to set up a break away series by 2019..

You would've thought at his age, 86 that he'd slow down... He doesn't have anything to prove and it could just all go horribly wrong?! Although I guess he'd have good knowledge of the existing track/team contracts so that could do him a favour when negotiating.

Man of Honour
So in conjuction with his age, I don't think breakaway series even 1% likely given when a breakaway championship has been mooted in the past iirc it was usually to get away from his control and poor distribution of revenue he brought :p

agreed fantasy like the last attempts, also if the new group did not put anti competition clause in, then wow they are dumb.

Soldato
Even if it has base - I.e. that he wants to do it because work is his life - the man is ancient - the chance of it paying off and working is one thing, but the chance of him seeing it come to fruition is slim to none.

I don't think any team would take a risk knowing the mastermind behind such a series, should effectively be well into his retirement rather than be trying to kick off such a grand project.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Its the normal start of the 2017 Motorsport calendar this weekend with the Rolex 24 at Daytona, this coming weekend. It should be covered on MotorsTV here in the UK and also via the IMSA app which worked very well last year. I also believe with the IMSA App you'll get the race commentary from the normal Radio LeMans team.

http://www.imsa.com/how-watch/international-coverage

It's going to be the first competitive outing for the new Porsche 991 RSR, so ill be really interested to see how well the car performs in its new configuration.

Soldato
Yep, Joe Saward has clarified below how it's probably nonsense from the same outlets.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2017/01/26/an-alternative-championship/

From your link "The FIA has a recognised right to decide on who can use the word “World Championship”

I think I'm right in saying that if anyone wants to run a championship motor sport but they have nothing
to do with the FIA. Then the FIA can't do jack?

"Most TV companies in F1 have long term deals as well"

I find that hard to believe. Maybe he forgot about freeview TV around the world?

I hope Bernie puts some money in rally cross. I love that sport.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Its the normal start of the 2017 Motorsport calendar this weekend with the Rolex 24 at Daytona, this coming weekend. It should be covered on MotorsTV here in the UK and also via the IMSA app which worked very well last year. I also believe with the IMSA App you'll get the race commentary from the normal Radio LeMans team.

http://www.imsa.com/how-watch/international-coverage

It's going to be the first competitive outing for the new Porsche 991 RSR, so ill be really interested to see how well the car performs in its new configuration.

Only highlights. :(

Soldato
A real shame for Manor. Liberty could have made a real statement of intent by keeping them going to find a buyer in anticipation of whatever changes they plan to introduce, but you can equally see why they wouldn't / couldn't.

Soldato
A real shame for Manor. Liberty could have made a real statement of intent by keeping them going to find a buyer in anticipation of whatever changes they plan to introduce, but you can equally see why they wouldn't / couldn't.

I think it would set a dangerous precedent but manor nearly went under a few times now so it was really more inevitable than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom