Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
I think the 6 that never responded did. By saying nothing.
Then why not just respond along with the 7 who were against it?

I hope the Failo will be put to bed and another idea will come along. Maybe in 2020 they can design cars for 3/4 canopy?

I didn't think you were watching after 2018 anyway. What does it matter to you?

Caporegime
"The FIA surveyed 22 drivers on whether to introduce Halo. Of the 16 who responded, seven were against it, five were in favour and four expressed no preference."
"Driver vote narrowly defeated Halo"

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/...halo-einfuehrung-2018-in-gefahr-11661562.html

A close vote but at least the 7 drivers spoke out.

And if something happens that could have been prevented by the Halo this or next season the FIA will be criticised from here to Hell and back again for not introducing it against the majority of drivers wishes. For safety.

Soldato
It's a bit like if you ask your mrs "do you love me?" and there is silence. You know your out on your butt :D

But you're not going to throw a wheel at your missus's head. ;)

I just don't understand the stance of silence when the whole thing centres around trying to protect the very ones who are ignoring this according to the article. It's completely backwards.

It's so stupid it makes it sound like they've had a blow to the head. Coincidentally.

Soldato
But you're not going to throw a wheel at your missus's head. ;)
I just don't understand the stance of silence when the whole thing centres around trying to protect the very ones who are ignoring this according to the article. It's completely backwards.

It's so stupid it makes it sound like they've had a blow to the head. Coincidentally.

:D

Been trying to find out when was the last time a driver in F1(only) was hit by a wheel\tire?

Soldato
Actually apologies Deuse, the tyre didn't hit Chilton.

I remembered that he pulled into the pitlane under the red flag (not allowed back then) to repair damage, so I checked to make sure that the debris had deflected off the nose and towards his helmet, but it deflected inches above his helmet. I doubt it would have injured him anyway given the much reduced energy from hitting his nose first, but he probably wouldn't have been allowed to race.

Sorry about that, I could have sworn he/someone had said it had hit him in the head.

F1 alone I guess the last confirmed one was Senna in 1994. Perhaps that exact one would be prevented by the since-raised cockpit side protection (hopefully as well as the wheel tethers), though I suppose that's impossible to know.

Just a couple of races before that, Brundle suffered a luckily only glancing blow when Irvine triggered Verstappen's terrible crash at Interlagos.

I don't recall if Chandhok himself was struck by Trulli's car (I guess I would if he was), and likewise I've no idea if anyone was hit in the 2nd phase of the Monza 2000 tragedy (apparently de la Rosa rolled over the top of Coulthard's car).

Reading up, I wasn't aware that Sergio Perez's Sauber was struck by a piece of ballast at Sepang 2011. Apparently it went clean through the safety cell before destroying some electronics which led to his immediate retirement and requirement for a new chassis for Shanghai! Even more scary than Alesi's onboard camera destroying Berger's left-front suspension.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

The thing with the Halo is the stupid pillar infront of the eyes of the driver. Spin it around so the support is at the rear and make the gap between the car and the halo smaller than a wheel, surely?

Soldato
Soldato
I doubt a wing's going to cause much damage. There must have been hundreds of instances of front-wing and other bodywork debris hitting drivers helmets with no issue, they're so light and brittle.

Noses are of course another matter, especially as they contain crash structures and can contain ballast. Still, if we're sticking to the F1-only mantra, when was the last time you saw a nose cone come off a car?

Soldato
Nice way to avoid the question, but you're right.

The halo/canopy/whatever isn't going to make F1 safe, just hopefully lessen the chances of a serious injury.

To my knowledge no driver has ever been seriously injured by being struck by a car, despite numerous instances of it (including one last year). Drivers have been killed and injured by being hit in the head by objects.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

There's no way a wheel is going through the gaps in the halo, and even more so now that the wheels are much fatter.

Yes I know that, my point was why not just put the support at the back of the halos as opposed to in front of the drivers eyes.

Caporegime
Yes I know that, my point was why not just put the support at the back of the halos as opposed to in front of the drivers eyes.

I think the issue is unless you brace or support the halo at the front it would likely need to be very, very strong which would likely mean metal and a lot of it.

Get Mercedes or Ferrari to take last years car and full canopy it in conjunction with the military, British Aerospace or something and do some proper testing. IMO full canopy will happen eventually.

Back
Top Bottom