1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Shimmy, Jan 2, 2012.

  1. vanpeebles

    Soldato

    Joined: Aug 22, 2004

    Posts: 6,735

    Location: County Durham

    The best thing McLaren have made in recent years was those hospital trolleys.
     
  2. this_is_gav

    Soldato

    Joined: Oct 17, 2005

    Posts: 5,526

    Location: Northumberland

  3. Greboth

    Mobster

    Joined: Aug 6, 2010

    Posts: 4,854

    Location: Birmingham

    Oooo I like that. A simple colour change it's gone from one of the blandest to one of the best looking cars.
     
  4. UTmaniac

    Soldato

    Joined: Nov 9, 2005

    Posts: 5,655

    Location: Southampton

    It will get banned at any night race, too ninja. ;)
     
  5. Ninco!

    Wise Guy

    Joined: Jul 8, 2014

    Posts: 1,003

    Location: Surrey

    It does look good!

    Wish the fancy steering had been used - its going to remain as one of those eternal what if questions!
     
  6. CaptainRAVE

    Man of Honour

    Joined: Nov 21, 2004

    Posts: 34,148

    Oh, they aren’t using it? Have they said that officially now? I thought the latest was that they were considering using it in Austria. I really want to see it in action.

    Loving the new livery. One of my all time favourites.
     
  7. this_is_gav

    Soldato

    Joined: Oct 17, 2005

    Posts: 5,526

    Location: Northumberland

    They're free to use it for this season if they choose to, and I've not seen them saying they won't.

    I suspect it depends on the track and tyre performance in practice. If it's there to control tyre temperatures or wear as expected, and that outweighs (pardon the pun) the weight penalty (or careful placement of ballast) then they'll run it.

    Frankly, if they suspect they've got a car vastly quicker than everyone else then they might not need to run it or use it anyway, just to avoid any potential protests (as empty as they appear at the moment).
     
  8. MissChief

    Capodecina

    Joined: Jul 17, 2010

    Posts: 18,011

    Red Bull said if they used it they’d lodge an official protest. If that protest gets upheld both Mercedes cars could be excluded from the results. Given that the season is likely to be at most 12-15 races losing that much ground in both the WDC and WCC isn’t something Mercedes wants to take a chance with. It also sounds a little like they aren’t that confident they have the fastest car again.
     
  9. JRS

    Capodecina

    Joined: Jun 6, 2004

    Posts: 15,274

    Location: Burton-on-Trent

    Meh. Heard that one before. I'm pretty sure that they'll be quickest once this circus gets going.
     
  10. CaptainRAVE

    Man of Honour

    Joined: Nov 21, 2004

    Posts: 34,148

    Exactly, given they can't afford to lose much ground is every reason to run it. Red Bull don't have a chance with the protest, the FIA monitored every stage of development.
     
  11. MissChief

    Capodecina

    Joined: Jul 17, 2010

    Posts: 18,011

    The Stewards at the track may have a different interpretation than Mercedes and the FIA though. Mind you the Stewards can’t give penalties, only inform the Race Director of their findings.
     
  12. this_is_gav

    Soldato

    Joined: Oct 17, 2005

    Posts: 5,526

    Location: Northumberland

    They say that at every single race. You would think the staff on the floor would be getting rather tired at those negative views of their work by now.
     
  13. UTmaniac

    Soldato

    Joined: Nov 9, 2005

    Posts: 5,655

    Location: Southampton

  14. Mr Jack

    Capodecina

    Joined: May 19, 2004

    Posts: 19,136

    Location: Nordfriesland, Germany

    Welcome back, Fernando but I think this is a shame. There are so many promising young drivers coming up through the ranks and so few seats apparently available for them. Letting Alonso plod around in the Renault for a couple more years until he inevitably retires again is a waste of an F1 seat. Alonso was one of the most brilliant drivers in F1 over the last couple of decades, but he will be 40 next year and with that two year gap I cannot see him setting the world alight. I expect something more akin to Schumacher's disappointing return.
     
  15. englishpremier

    Soldato

    Joined: Feb 15, 2003

    Posts: 7,220

    Location: Europe

    Oh dear. That's Ocon's career over then. A bit like Vandoorne and everyone else bar Lewis that he's teamed up with.

    The problem for Fernando is that the Renault next year is still going to be slow. He might have a chance if they pull something out of the back for new regs in 2022. Still, I'm happy to see him back. I think more than any other driver on the grid (including Lewis) he drags the car around the track and forces results.

    I'm in two minds about Schumachers return. I don't think it was as bad as people make out. Had he been dropped into the same Mercedes Lewis and Nico had a couple of years later, I don't doubt he would have won another title.
     
  16. Mr Jack

    Capodecina

    Joined: May 19, 2004

    Posts: 19,136

    Location: Nordfriesland, Germany

    I think it's only really bad in comparison to his record before, but he was solidly and thoroughly beaten by Rosberg: over those three seasons Michael got 1 podium, Rosberg 5, including one win. Michael got 197 points, Rosberg 324. If the car had been as good as the current Mercedes, it wouldn't have been Schumacher with the titles.

    Fair play to the guy: I think he wanted to race and on that level it was probably good for him, but it was a much worse end to his career than bowing out when he was on top and a pale shadow of his former brilliance. Alonso, of course, bowed out from a much lower point, but I just don't see him challenging for a Championship even if Renault can massively improve in 2022.
     
  17. Ninco!

    Wise Guy

    Joined: Jul 8, 2014

    Posts: 1,003

    Location: Surrey

    I think Alonso is far more driven than other drivers. No family or distractions as far as I know. Simply a racer through and will probably race in some series or another throughout his lifetime.

    If Renault did produce a Championship winning car for 2022 - I personally have no doubt Alonso would deliver. Okay he may not win the most races, I just get the impression Alonso would win through consistency and guile. I am glad to see him back and genuinely wish him well.
     
  18. Mr Jack

    Capodecina

    Joined: May 19, 2004

    Posts: 19,136

    Location: Nordfriesland, Germany

    If he does that he'd be both the 3rd youngest ever world champion and the 3rd oldest ever world champion. Which would be pretty cool. But even winning a single race in 2022 would make him the oldest winner in 27 years, or over 50 years if he did it in one of the last couple of races of the season.
     
  19. pastymuncher

    Man of Honour

    Joined: Jul 12, 2005

    Posts: 18,531

    Location: Aberlour, NE Scotland

    Mugello will host it's first F1 race on 13th September and Sochi is added on 27th September (story here). Seen Mugello host MotoGP before but had no idea what it would be like in a F1 car so had a watch of some onboard footage and damn it's fast and flowing. There is very little hard braking there so is it possible that they would struggle to keep the batteries charged?
     
  20. MissChief

    Capodecina

    Joined: Jul 17, 2010

    Posts: 18,011

    Certainly it's a possibility. As you said many of the corners will be fast with little braking so charge could be a potential issue.