Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Associate
Nope. Maybe not. Not everyone cheats...

And cheats with a fellow employee in the garage..
The level of naivety in this post is hard to comprehend.

I can guarantee that there is some form of cheating going on within the teams, with that many members of staff going to numerous races across the year, I'd be shocked if something wasn't going on.

Caporegime
Gets worse for Alpine, their head of Aerodynamics and Technical Director have resigned... still after today they might have been sacked anyway
Can't say I'm surprised. The whole leadership is a ****show after sacking some very experienced people and replacing them with clueless people or people who have far too much time doing other things. Current Team Principal Bruno Famin has another role within Renault! Apparently the management of the company also keep interfering in the running of the team too. I know he can be a bit, er, judgmental, but some of the story is here: https://thejudge13.com/2023/12/17/renault-shocking-lack-of-investment-in-alpine-f1-team-revealed/

Transmission breaker
Don
and thats for him and his wife to sort out...not have their dirty laundry aired to the masses just because the actual sport is dull as dishwater.

Absolutely, it's totally a problem for him and his wife to sort on a personal level.

However, he is also the Team Principal and CEO of a company that relies on sponsorship and reputation to thrive. By its very nature the role is high profile where he is expected/encouraged to face the media and be under the spotlight. He sets the precedent for the whole team.

In this case he has (allegedly) failed professionally, by entering into a very compromising situation that will sour relationships with his team/sponsors and the media. All because they failed to "deal with it behind closed doors".

The media, who are now being threatened with legal action if they report on the alleged leak, are turning on Red Bull which is a direct result of that failure (imho).

The level of naivety in this post is hard to comprehend.

I can guarantee that there is some form of cheating going on within the teams, with that many members of staff going to numerous races across the year, I'd be shocked if something wasn't going on.

Rightly or wrongly, no one in the media/sponsors/public/etc, cares if the catering manager is sleeping with the married truck driver. The same cannot be said for the Team Principal/CEO.

When you get to that level on the corporate ladder (especially in F1) you agree to take on a significant extra responsibility and as such, both the risks and rewards are higher.

Last edited:
Soldato
Absolutely, it's totally a problem for him and his wife to sort on a personal level.

However, he is also the Team Principal and CEO of a company that relies on sponsorship and reputation to thrive. By its very nature the role is high profile where he is expected/encouraged to face the media and be under the spotlight. He sets the precedent for the whole team.

In this case he has (allegedly) failed professionally, by entering into a very compromising situation that will sour relationships with his team/sponsors and the media. All because they failed to "deal with it behind closed doors".

The media, who are now being threatened with legal action if they report on the alleged leak, are turning on Red Bull which is a direct result of that failure (imho).

Rightly or wrongly, no one in the media/sponsors/public/etc, cares if the catering manager is sleeping with the married truck driver. The same cannot be said for the Team Principal/CEO.

When you get to that level on the corporate ladder (especially in F1) you agree to take on a significant extra responsibility and as such, both the risks and rewards are higher.

Horners infidelity is only part of it. Verstappen is calling for his head because he then shacked up with said PA and clearly Horner was not ok. Hence Horner believes JV is behind the leak and JV is calling for his head. Lots more to run on this one.

Man of Honour
I could probably take someone else calling out Horner but Jos Verstappen with his track record should really keep his mouth shut given his previous form.
I honestly don't see why Jos thinks he's even part of the equation, he's a hanger on for his son, living vicariously via Max the career he was far too **** to achieve.

Soldato
I could probably take someone else calling out Horner but Jos Verstappen with his track record should really keep his mouth shut given his previous form.
I honestly don't see why Jos thinks he's even part of the equation, he's a hanger on for his son, living vicariously via Max the career he was far too **** to achieve.
I think he even admitted that in an interview didn’t he? Don’t quote me on that though.

Caporegime
Didn't Helmut Marko employ Jos in some sort of role within the young driver programme? If there's a Horner vs Helmut power struggle at play as some suggest, it would seem likely Jos will be on the Helmut side of the fence.

Associate

Responsibility for the company, it does not give the world access to your private life still.
But if you want to justify intervening in someone's personal life over and over again, trying to justify them losing their job for a private mate, allowing for others to gain, shows you have a bias here.
Dont you remember the words "super injunction"?
Its called damage mitigation, does not matter if you are in right or wrong, its what you do to protect your brand.

Its like some people in here forget what actually happens in the world, because when someone they dislike is the next target, nothing matters they must go.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the worst thing you can do when you are in a privileged position is lie and mislead, then get caught in that lie. That is regardless of your personal life or not, stories like this will always gain some traction, and trying to obfuscate the truth rather than just handle it with some level of integrity will always end up with more damage done, and in some instances you'll invoke the Streisand effect and end up way worse off that you could have been if you'd just taken on the accountability in the first place.

Soldato
Responsibility for the company, it does not give the world access to your private life still.
But if you want to justify intervening in someone's personal life over and over again, trying to justify them losing their job for a private mate, allowing for others to gain, shows you have a bias here.

Dont you remember the words "super injunction"?
Its called damage mitigation, does not matter if you are in right or wrong, its what you do to protect your brand.

Its like some people in here forget what actually happens in the world, because when someone they dislike is the next target, nothing matters they must go.
You are forgetting this is OC forums, the bastion of outdated male locker room speak, where the truth and facts don't count...

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the worst thing you can do when you are in a privileged position is lie and mislead, then get caught in that lie. That is regardless of your personal life or not, stories like this will always gain some traction, and trying to obfuscate the truth rather than just handle it with some level of integrity will always end up with more damage done, and in some instances you'll invoke the Streisand effect and end up way worse off that you could have been if you'd just taken on the accountability in the first place.

That's for Red Bull to decide, they may see whatever PR damage this causes to be worth less than the damage of him leaving on short notice without proper hand over/ training his successor. Overall Red Bull are great PR machine with all the things they get involved in. Losing some F1 fans and maintaining their performance is likely worth more than small (relatively speaking) loss of fan base, which they can recover by continuous success in the future.

Back
Top Bottom