Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Caporegime
Gerhard Berger has said that he thinks Horner and Marko leave Red Bull and Max goes Merc, he's good friends with Helmut so makes you wonder if there is some major war going on at Red Bull.

Mark Hughes has just put this article out as well https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/horner-verstappen-red-bull-f1-upheaval-changes/

I don't really understand why Max would leave/would want to/would have to?

Doesn't make sense. Who the team principal is surely doesn't make much difference to him. Surely all he cares about is being in the best car, and at the moment that is the RB (and it's currently miles ahead of the competition).

I suppose for 26 it might make sense as RB might not necessarily be the fastest car then, but Mercedes could not be either.

Last edited:
Associate

Doesn't make sense. Who the team principal is surely doesn't make much difference to him. Surely all he cares about is being in the best car, and at the moment that is the RB.

I suppose for 26 it might make sense as RB might not necessarily be the fastest car then, but Mercedes could not be either.

1. Newey will most likely be gone soon
2. Red Bull are expected to be at a disadvantage for the 2026 season and possibly beyond that.
3. Max wants to win as many titles as possible before he hits 30 as he wants to go and race in other series during his prime (ie: not in his mid-late 30s) thus he's not going to want to mess around at Red Bull from 2026 onwards if they aren't instantly challenging for titles.

Thats my guess anyway, on top of that maybe they see the writing on the wall with this supposed power struggle at Red Bull

Or it's all nonsense, or at least parts of it are. Bit too much smoke for it all to be BS though imo

Last edited:
Soldato

Doesn't make sense. Who the team principal is surely doesn't make much difference to him. Surely all he cares about is being in the best car, and at the moment that is the RB (and it's currently miles ahead of the competition).

Just a hypothetical story, I'd give it no credence despite Hughes's credibility..

Soldato
2. Red Bull are expected to be at a disadvantage for the 2026 season and possibly beyond that.
This seems to be commonly accepted but I guess I missed the memo. Why, exactly? Surely in reality nobody really knows what new regs will bring (although ground effect was always going to work to Newey’s favour)

Caporegime
This seems to be commonly accepted but I guess I missed the memo. Why, exactly? Surely in reality nobody really knows what new regs will bring (although ground effect was always going to work to Newey’s favour)

Major new engine regs should favour the teams with the best engine building skills. If they keep Ford then they should be in an okay place, but Ford - for all their skills - haven't built F1 engines in a long time. Honda, Ferrari and Merc have. I think there's quite a lot of assumption going on there.

Soldato
That’s assuming Ford are still in. Pinch to mountain of salt required but there’s rumours Ford are still looking at ways they can back out of the deal.

It wouldn’t surprise me if that’s true though even if only for contingency reasons.

Caporegime
That’s assuming Ford are still in.

Indeed. And if they're not, then Red Bull would end up with Audi engines, most likely, or possibly even different engines in their two teams. Competing against the works team, late to the party, and with an outfit inexperienced in F1 engine development. What could possibly go wrong?

It wouldn’t surprise me if that’s true though even if only for contingency reasons.

I would be surprised if Ford aren't looking at ways to exit, whether or not they're actually planning to use them - and, for the record, I don't think they're looking for the door just yet.

Soldato
Major new engine regs should favour the teams with the best engine building skills. If they keep Ford then they should be in an okay place, but Ford - for all their skills - haven't built F1 engines in a long time. Honda, Ferrari and Merc have. I think there's quite a lot of assumption going on there.
I was about to rebuke you for omitting Renault from that list and then I started trying to think back to when they made an a competitive F1 engine in the hybrid era…

Man of Honour
Indeed. And if they're not, then Red Bull would end up with Audi engines, most likely, or possibly even different engines in their two teams. Competing against the works team, late to the party, and with an outfit inexperienced in F1 engine development. What could possibly go wrong?

I would be surprised if Ford aren't looking at ways to exit, whether or not they're actually planning to use them - and, for the record, I don't think they're looking for the door just yet.

I half wonder if Ford did pull out if the Audi engine might magically appear with a "Porsche" badge on it..... But like you I doubt Ford are looking for a way out

Caporegime
I can't see Ben Sulayem remaining as FIA president for long if the various allegations are proven.

He seemed to me to be struggling badly even before this. The FIA and it's main cash cow falling out just seems unsustainable and that seems to have got worse over time. But he's half way through a four year term, I think there's a good chance he'll see it out. His replacement will have a lot of fixing up to do.

Time to get a racer in charge; I'll go for Allan McNish or Alex Wurz

He may not have been competing at the highest level, but Sulayem was a racer and a very successful one at that - absolutely dominating the Middle East Rally Championship.

Caporegime
This is more what I expected rather than the 1 in 9 stuff.
1 in 9 might be ending up in a proper relationship, but there is so much more that goes on in the backrooms.

Two key items in there;
  • 35% don’t report their relationship to their employer
  • 40% have cheated on their current partner with a coworker

40pc have cheated with a coworker?
That's insane!

Caporegime
I was about to rebuke you for omitting Renault from that list and then I started trying to think back to when they made an a competitive F1 engine in the hybrid era…
I really wish alpine would just leave and put me out of my misery.

Read a few articles drumming up "hope" for them. But it seems bad. Looks like there are problems all over the car.
I mean they are still carrying the engine deficit.

I'm not sure if Renault will have the stamina to be at the back or near back for 2 years (that's my prediction).
They've jumped in and out before.
Its worse than just being at the back. They come across as a horrible place.

Its alpine in f1 doing more bad than good for them as an advert? I certainly wouldn't buy one!

Back
Top Bottom