Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
I really wish alpine would just leave and put me out of my misery.

Read a few articles drumming up "hope" for them. But it seems bad. Looks like there are problems all over the car.
I mean they are still carrying the engine deficit.

I'm not sure if Renault will have the stamina to be at the back or near back for 2 years (that's my prediction).
They've jumped in and out before.
Its worse than just being at the back. They come across as a horrible place.

Its alpine in f1 doing more bad than good for them as an advert? I certainly wouldn't buy one!
I'd have Alpine road car any day if I could afford one https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/alpine/a110
A bit drastic to suggest they should leave f1 after all they're not the first team to struggle. The car is currently very overweight and I think we should wait and see and not cast judgement just yet.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'd have Alpine road car any day if I could afford one https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/alpine/a110
A bit drastic to suggest they should leave f1 after all they're not the first team to struggle. The car is currently very overweight and I think we should wait and see and not cast judgement just yet.

They've left before. It's pretty toxic in management it seems.
At least Williams even though at back for a while seemed vibrant.

I wouldn't be surprised if they left if I'm honest. Especially as they will be here 2 years.

Soldato
Caporegime
Hardly big in Renault F1 though, according to the BBC; "Bell had been effectively part-time, the team said, working in a non-technical role for Alpine Labs, which explores the use of racing technology in other fields. The project he had been working on had ended."

The information on him going to Aston from @Blackvault casts this in a different light, I think. But mostly, it just aids to the miasma of chaos and decline around Alpine: they've shed a succession of short lived team principles, lost high profile driving talent, shed a number of significant figures from their development programme, lost noted advisors, and now this season they've plummeted downwards in the pecking order. The news of significant new backing last year sounded like it might be the start of a turnaround, but now it looks like a punctuation mark in their continued decline.

Soldato
Changing tact slightly, has Andretti ever looked at purchasing a team rather than becoming an 11th entry?
It's early doors but if Alpine is in that much of a state, and if Andretti is really serious about getting into F1 (always sounded like he was), then i wonder if there is perhaps an opening there for him?

Soldato
The information on him going to Aston from @Blackvault casts this in a different light, I think. But mostly, it just aids to the miasma of chaos and decline around Alpine: they've shed a succession of short lived team principles, lost high profile driving talent, shed a number of significant figures from their development programme, lost noted advisors, and now this season they've plummeted downwards in the pecking order. The news of significant new backing last year sounded like it might be the start of a turnaround, but now it looks like a punctuation mark in their continued decline.
Seems he has, maybe he felt unfulfilled in his minor role that wasn't connected with the F1 team at Alpine, who really knows. It could have been that maybe after semi retirement he felt the urge to return to a front line role in F1 that Alpine couldn't offer.
Or it could easily be he had an offer from AM he couldn't refuse, fancied working with another Spaniard again and just handed in his notice. Perhaps Alonso even played a part...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Changing tact slightly, has Andretti ever looked at purchasing a team rather than becoming an 11th entry?
It's early doors but if Alpine is in that much of a state, and if Andretti is really serious about getting into F1 (always sounded like he was), then i wonder if there is perhaps an opening there for him?

I think there was a suggestion that he had looked at Haas but was given a quick knock back. It would seem they would be in a decent position to buy Alpine if Renault were to pull out but I honestly feel like Andretti would prefer to start from scratch.

I fear all he would be buying with Alpine would be the entry and effectively closing the team down.

Soldato
I think there was a suggestion that he had looked at Haas but was given a quick knock back. It would seem they would be in a decent position to buy Alpine if Renault were to pull out but I honestly feel like Andretti would prefer to start from scratch.

I fear all he would be buying with Alpine would be the entry and effectively closing the team down.
Possibly, even if he purchase came with the cars, support personnel and Alpine's base he may well still have to find an engine supplier..

Last edited:
Soldato
Possibly, even if he purchase came with the cars, support personnel and Alpine's base he may well still have to find an engine supplier..
You're probably right re. engines, as i couldn't imagine Renault and the Paris (engine) factory sticking around if they did sell Alpine. But i'm sure Andretti could suss an interim manufacturer until GM/2028.

I guess it all depends on how much (/desperate) Andretti wants to get into Formula 1 as purchasing a team seems about his only real option currently given Formula 1 doesn't seem that interested in an 11th team, certainly not at the moment any way.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Did not see this coming, but can't say he'll be the worst choice:

ZOUrA4b.jpg

Soldato
Max Verstappen says father Jos is 'not a liar' after Christian Horner controversy - BBC Sport

Not much of Max standing up for Horner in those comments! Reading between the lines you'd almost say 'he's talking on behalf of me'.
Well Jos is his dad so only to be expected and 'm sure it's difficult for him as he's caught up in the crossfire.
He's also probably been told not to comment upon any allegations made towards Horner by Red Bull.

Also the article states on Jos's absence at this weekend's race: "He is not attending this weekend's Saudi Arabian Grand Prix as he is competing in a rally."
So that puts any conspiracy to bed on that one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom