Motorsport Off Topic Thread

As some one who has tried Da bomb, anyone going back for 2nd's so soon gets my full respect, nothing can describe the agony that sauce induces....

Not getting the terrible host either, he's constantly praised for his interviewing ability, however i did cringe a bit at the Silverstone question, but thats probably because any fan of the sport knows those particular corners are better known for how they flow vs anything dangerous.
It did feel like a fairly weak interview from both sides. There were some bland questions but maybe it is down to us being more familiar with the sport.

Ocon and Alpine are parting ways at the end of the season.

Was just coming to post that. Not a surprise, I think, but still sad for Ocon. I don't think he'll find another seat for next year. Hopefully he can go into a different motorsport and find success there, he's still young (27) and while he's not top tier F1 talent I put him solidly in the top 10 driver list.

Isn't Toto still his manager and still regarded by Merc?

Could fill the 2025 gap at Merc for Antonelli if they think he needs another year in F2 to find his feet.

I can see him going to WEC and having a good go there.

Last edited:
Isn't Toto still his manager and still regarded by Merc?

Yeah, he is. Which, btw, I do think F1 should look into stopping. Being a team manager and a driver manager is surely a conflict of interest.

Even if Merc don't decide to promote Antonelli, I don't think they'd use Ocon as the stopgap, I think putting Schumacher in is more likely. Ultimately, if Merc really rated Ocon then they'd have put him into a seat already, and I think the last thing they'd want is a driver likely to cause strife within the team. Ocon on a one year contract would probably be even more volatile than ever, desperate to prove that he's the better driver.

Which, come to think of it, is going to be an issue for Alpine. Ocon's already driving into his team mate, it's only going to get worse when he knows he's already out the door and is driving only for himself.

Last edited:
Ocon and Alpine are parting ways at the end of the season.

na na na na
na na na na
hey hey hey
Good bye.....

Bye bye Pastor Oconado...

Shame for a driver yes, but he has frequently showed that he cannot operate as a team player, unless he is going to get the better of his teammate. Selfish attitude and dangerous when it comes to racing.

I wonder who will get the seat next year, Jack Doohan?

That would be nice, or Victor Martins who is also in their academy (although he's having a dreadful F2 season so far). I reckon the most likely driver for that seat is Bottas though - he's proven himself as a reliable team player before, has masses of experience, and is need of a seat. Alpine couldn't even be bothered to sort out a seat for Oscar Piastri, I can't see them making that effort for Doohan or Martins given how less promising they seem. Although I suppose they might overcorrect after bungling their handling of Oscar.

I love seeing more rookies come up from feeder series into F1. Honestly I'd like to see some of the older drivers retire to make way for young talents - Lewis, Fernando (as much as I admire him), Ricciardo, Botas, Hulkenburg and Magnussen. Scoot them off and bring up the likes of Bearman. Young blood make the races more exciting.

That would be nice, or Victor Martins who is also in their academy (although he's having a dreadful F2 season so far). I reckon the most likely driver for that seat is Bottas though - he's proven himself as a reliable team player before, has masses of experience, and is need of a seat. Alpine couldn't even be bothered to sort out a seat for Oscar Piastri, I can't see them making that effort for Doohan or Martins given how less promising they seem. Although I suppose they might overcorrect after bungling their handling of Oscar.
Yes, it would be nice to have Bottas continue in Formula One, I like his personality. However, the younger generation should be given more chances to prove themselves.

Yeah, he is. Which, btw, I do think F1 should look into stopping. Being a team manager and a driver manager is surely a conflict of interest.

Surely no more a conflict of interest than teams having a young driver program? As there’s a level of familiarity and chance for bias to pick them over others.

Last edited:
Surely no more a conflict of interest than teams having a young driver program? As there’s a level of familiarity and chance for bias to pick them over others.

I think there's a bigger conflict between Wolff managing a driver who races for a different team than in a junior programme, yeah. I also think there's a straight conflict of interest between Wolff managing Russell and managing the team he's driving for. Is he making decisions in Russell's best interests or Mercedes?

But I'm not the biggest fan of young driver programmes either. I think there needs to be a hard rule that if you don't offer a driver a seat in F1, they're free to take offers from anyone else.

na na na na
na na na na
hey hey hey
Good bye.....

Bye bye Pastor Oconado...

Shame for a driver yes, but he has frequently showed that he cannot operate as a team player, unless he is going to get the better of his teammate. Selfish attitude and dangerous when it comes to racing.

Always annoyed that he was signed (he was never great, somewhere between mediocre and good spells) for 3 years.

I'm convinced if not alonso and piastri would be in that car now. Lucky for them they aren't! :D

I'd like (unlikely) yuki to jump in.

He's taken so much from press and fans and he's really turned a corner. DR came. In expecting to whip YT. You could tell by his mannerisms. But it want to be.

Tsunoda
Doohan
Sainz (unlikely)
Lawson

Would be all OK by me.

Zhou, bottas, mick
These would all be bargain bucket safe picks.

So alpine will probably grab one of them!

I love seeing more rookies come up from feeder series into F1. Honestly I'd like to see some of the older drivers retire to make way for young talents - Lewis, Fernando (as much as I admire him), Ricciardo, Botas, Hulkenburg and Magnussen. Scoot them off and bring up the likes of Bearman. Young blood make the races more exciting.

Same. These teams playing it safe is so boring. They are all mediocre. Take a damn risk. It might pay off.

Really hope RBR get stuffed next year keeping perez.
He's had his chance.
I've warmed a lot to Ferrari and respect the bold choice of LH and CL. That's gonna be amazing.
Hope RBR come at least 3rd and mclaren (great drivers) and Ferrari (great drivers) teach them they can't play it safe.

Last edited:
Sergio at RB for 2 more years, I bet Max is delighted.

Wild. Sounds like 1+1 deal with an option on RB's side. I can only think they prefer Pérez mostly for commercial reasons, and team harmony. I'd be pretty unhappy if I was in the RB juniors: Lawson, Hadjar, Iwasa, and Marti are all going to be wondering when seats will open up. Yuki needs to get out of the RB stream, because he's never getting promoted from that seat.

Back
Top Bottom