Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Caporegime
I had a similar thought. I know it’s all this efficiency BS but a simple V10 with the electric engine would be a cool combo.
Manufacturers just aren’t interested in small, high revving high cylinder count engines. Except maybe Ferrari. Back in the early 2010’s when the whole Hybrid power trains were being discussed Renault said they’d leave if the V8 NA engines continued. Honda said they wouldn’t join either. The engines had reached their apex, their zenith. Teams would routinely spend thousands, perhaps even millions for 1 or 2 extra horsepower or Nm of torque. It wasn’t sustainable. I suspect small capacity turbocharged engines with some form of hybrid or electrical assistance are more or less here to stay, at least until synthetic fuels are properly understood and cheap to manufacture.

Associate
Manufacturers just aren’t interested in small, high revving high cylinder count engines. Except maybe Ferrari. Back in the early 2010’s when the whole Hybrid power trains were being discussed Renault said they’d leave if the V8 NA engines continued. Honda said they wouldn’t join either. The engines had reached their apex, their zenith. Teams would routinely spend thousands, perhaps even millions for 1 or 2 extra horsepower or Nm of torque. It wasn’t sustainable. I suspect small capacity turbocharged engines with some form of hybrid or electrical assistance are more or less here to stay, at least until synthetic fuels are properly understood and cheap to manufacture.
Yea, it’s definitely a pipe dream with the whole efficiency thing for road cars. In the presentation they mentioned that the primary interest for the engine manufacturers was the electric motor.

Caporegime
The view from drivers who have test driven the cars in a simulator is that they aren't very quick.

Yeah, I saw those concerns. I think they will prove unfounded; the teams are always able to claw more pace from the regulations than expected. And, honestly, I don't really care whether the cars are a couple of seconds slower around a lap. What matters is how well they produce good racing.

Caporegime
Not nearly enough length and weight taken out, removing most of the ground effect and narrowing the tyres is a terrible step backwards.

It's a resounding 'meh' from me.

Yeah it's not enough. Doubt it will change much.
They should take out all driver aids that can be changed during the race. Make the cars a lot smaller than that quoted above. And bring back Guenther Steiner.....lol...liked him...a great character..
Agree.
Less computers etc do the more chance you've got to punish poor drivers and reward good.
It adds more variance.

Cars are too much like trains on a track.

Personally I don't care if f1 is fast. I'd rather take action than speed any day of the week.
I don't really care about technology either.
I just want to see decent cars+drivers not always be up the front, but when they do make mistakes, actually be able to make. Up places.

Soldato
Was kinda hoping Lance might have realised by now he'll never do anymore in F1 than he has already with his limited talent and maybe depart the scene in a season or two but sadly doesn't look like it.

Caporegime
Was kinda hoping Lance might have realised by now he'll never do anymore in F1 than he has already with his limited talent and maybe depart the scene in a season or two but sadly doesn't look like it.

His only hope is that Aston at some point build a car that is loads faster than the rest of the field so as to make up for his relative lack of talent against the very best on the grid.

His teammate will have to be **** too.

Back
Top Bottom