Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Caporegime
This seems to be the original source (in German), but it's just attributed to inside information. Contracts are often agreed quite a while before official signing, because of the quibbling over deals and lawyers combing through the small print, and announced a while after they're signed - so it's quite possible that they've got something credible but, yeah, not really confirmation.

Associate
Caporegime
That would be a big gamble on a 17 year old. Could pay off, could be a disaster.

Just how good is he in terms of generational talent potential?

Has he genuinely shown signs of being the next Hamilton/Max

Caporegime
Has he genuinely shown signs of being the next Hamilton/Max

Yes, comfortably, although he hasn't proved it at a higher level yet. In single seaters, he's won every full season he's taken part in. He did half a season of Italian F4 in 2021 then absolutely smashed it in 2022, winning 13 races out of 20, and taking the ADAC F4 the same year despite missing a race weekend. In that one he won 9 of 15 races he entered. Then he went to Formula Regional where he won both the Middle East and the European championships in 2023. Four championship wins in two years. That's mighty.

In F2, things aren't going to so well, but then he's the youngest driver on the grid and skipped F3 entirely. He's still managing to outclass Oli Bearman in the same team, and he's always scored as least as much as the weekend before each race, showing signs of consistent improvement rare on the F2 grid.

Personally, I think if he doesn't win F2 this year (which he still might) then it would probably be better for him to stay there for another season. On the other hand, a quick promotion will give him a chance to find his feet and learn the tracks before the new rules kick in.

Caporegime
FIA changing its rules to potentially let Antonelli race this year:

I suspect it's more about letting him have FP1 sessions than race, but we shall see.

Don't they also have to wave the (IMO bizarre) requirement to have a normal car driving license too? Because he has to be 18 to get that in Italy.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I suspect it's more about letting him have FP1 sessions than race, but we shall see.

Don't they also have to wave the (IMO bizarre) requirement to have a normal car driving license too? Because he has to be 18 to get that in Italy.

Could it be to let him replace Logan at Williams for the rest of the season?

Merc might want him to have half a season in the Williams to get him used to things instead of chucking him into a Merc straight away from next season. Certainly a good way to test how he will cope. The Williams isn't TOO bad a car and Albon is pretty competent so it would be a good benchmark to rate him on. If he starts rivalling or even beating Albon by the end of the season, then that would look very promising.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Could it be to let him replace Logan at Williams for the rest of the season?

That has been bandied about but I don't think Vowles is keen on the idea. Plus I think Logan has quite a lot of sponsors tied to him, so it would cost Merc a lot to put him there and if he races at all then Kimi is subject to the normal testing restrictions whereas right now they can give him time on track in older cars. I think it's more likely they'll want to put into some FP1 sessions than that they have a seat lined up.

Last edited:
Caporegime
That has been bandied about but I don't think Vowles is keen on the idea. Plus I think Logan has quite a lot of sponsors tied to him, so it would cost Merc a lot to put him there and if he races at all then Kimi is subject to the normal testing restrictions whereas right now they can give him time on track in older cars. I think it's more likely they'll want to put into some FP1 sessions than that they a seat lined up.

Yeh, I guess giving him a good amount of practice sessions will help see how he stacks up right now versus George and/or Lewis.

Caporegime
From the noises Vowles was making in Canada, Williams are pushing hard to get Sainz next year, so that wouldn't leave the seat for Antonelli. Unless Carlos goes to Audi, which seems less likely.

I think people were suggesting that they may just put Kimi in for the rest of this season and then he moves to Merc in 25,.clearing the way for Sainz

Associate
I'm hoping Sainz chooses Williams, it would be good to see him part of the team trying to rebuild alongside Albon.

But both Williams and Sauber/Audi are a big gamble, I doubt we are going to see Audi hit the ground running ala Brawn in 2009 with the new car and engine regs. But it would be amazing if they did.

How long will they take to get going? How committed are they going to be if they don't get results in the first few seasons? The team always ends up back in Peter Saubers hands somehow :cry:

Caporegime
Considering there is clearly no option/seat available at the top 5 (Fer, Merc, RB, Mcl or Aston) then I think Williams is probably the next best choice to be honest. They do seem to be making progress, and it's possible they could at least become a reasonable midfield team/score points regularly.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Considering there is clearly no option/seat available at the top 5 (Fer, Merc, RB, Mcl or Aston) then I think Williams is probably the next best choice to be honest. They do seem to be making progress, and it's possible they could at least become a reasonable midfield team/score points regularly.

I think, compared to Williams, Audi has a higher chance of actually being able to fight for a championship in the next five years. And a much higher chance of being a backfield nobody, hoping to score a point here and there. Going to Williams is basically deciding to drive in the midfield and hoping that you can get a better seat somewhere else later; going to Audi is the gambler's choice.

Back
Top Bottom